How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Marto

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Marto » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:27 am

jasonc wrote:smashed the riverloop this morning in perfect Brisbane weather. Averaged 30.3km/h for the riverloop and got a few PRs along the way.

EDIT: trying to help a workmate cycle to work from albany creek any help with a route: here

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:18 am

Commute was very hard work this morning! Training ride at SOP saw the group explode early in lap 5 and trying to get back on to the lead bunch wasn't going to happen but I had a crack anyway. Hardly had anything left in the tank for the final climb at the Aquatic Centre!

Quick turn around at home and after 2 pedal strokes I realised it was going to be a very long commute as there are a couple of sharp pitches towards the end! Funnily enough no Strava's this morning!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:42 am

Perth:

Warm air temp but the wind turned it into a fair bit of cold. I wore covers the whole way and, by trips end, I was still feeling quite fresh. Deceptively easy considering how bad the weather looked.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:43 am

I was at SOP too. 20k ride to get there from home, then joined group 3. Lots of riders today on a beautiful morning. Perhaps Spring is making people friskier or otherwise it's just me, but I slid off the back after two laps. I served out my time with a combination of solo and then joining group 4, then rode at a decent pace into the city. Lots of birds singing this morning, and one half-hearted attempt by a magpie in Five Dock.

30k home will make it 90 for the day. I'm trying to lift the k's in prep for Fitz's.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:48 am

Solo full river loop this morning (included Graceville portion). Passed a group twice, once at St Lucia then again after Dornoch Descent. They must have done the short loop. A few groups looked like they were prepping for B2GC. Saw a lot of riders out there. It was like peak hour on Riverside Drive. Got caught by a pack there, jumped on the back then powered down to pass, before the boat sheds and sprinted to the Library so as not to have to wait in line for coffee at the Garage. :D

Almost 60k commute for me. Averaged a smidge under 30 for the whole way. A little over 30 for the loop portion. The chinese carbon FM098 is treating me nicely and have put almost 500km on it in a couple of weeks. Legs have a nice ache this morning.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:29 pm

jasonc wrote:smashed the riverloop this morning in perfect Brisbane weather. Averaged 30.3km/h for the riverloop and got a few PRs along the way.
here

Well done Jason...I did a PB yesterday morning before work, my average was 28.3 for the Loop, got a PB along the Corso as well, average was 40.5... But I did have a lead out train :wink:

On the ride home I got a QOM on a segment as well...that was done solo and I took the QOM off a friend :shock:
Lisa

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:43 pm

Wohoo! Lots of good riding before the b2gc. :)

brasstinman

Postby brasstinman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:11 pm

:roll: I got stung by a bee on my way home yesterday. It hit me up under the front of the helmet and got stuck just below my hair line and the helmet, ripped the helmet off but it had already done it's damage. Hurt like a mother....
Everyone thought I had a huge pimple on my forehead today at work :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:22 am

Comedian wrote:Wohoo! Lots of good riding before the b2gc. :)
yeh. and you're nowhere to be seen!

riding tomorrow, then that's it before b2gc. will commute to work next week (I may do the riverloop tuesday), but there'll be no strava segment smashing

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:17 am

jasonc wrote:
Comedian wrote:Wohoo! Lots of good riding before the b2gc. :)
yeh. and you're nowhere to be seen!

riding tomorrow, then that's it before b2gc. will commute to work next week (I may do the riverloop tuesday), but there'll be no strava segment smashing
Yep, after holiday, family sickness, and then - the most horrid blow of all - my own man-flu I've been forced to give up on beating last years most excellent time. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I may just ride as support for my mate with his daughter on the tandem. Should be fun. :)

Tommi

Postby Tommi » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:49 am

I had one of the most relaxing commute to work this morning. They had resealed all of the roads along my route, a cool soft breeze on a nice warm morning! I am so glad I traded driving for Cycling! :)

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:17 am

Got whacked by a Maggie coming along the bridge into the parklands this morning. :o

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:26 am

Feeling pretty good today - will be over 200 km commuting for the week. Wife & child will be back tomorrow (yay) so will be back to usual next week, but it's nice to know that I can commute for double the distance

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:38 am

Comedian wrote:Got whacked by a Maggie coming along the bridge into the parklands this morning. :o
diggerdantheman, a workmate and I have all been done by that bird. we don't think it's a maggie

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:47 pm

Absolutely soaked this morning, thought I timed it right as I got halfway to work and it was still dry and then, BAM, pouring rain. Oh well, thems the breaks! :lol: I still looked like I was having more fun on my commute than those in their cars (possibly because they were all busy trying to avoid one another as noone had their lights on). :roll:

Happy Friday!!!! 8)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:14 pm

jasonc wrote:
Comedian wrote:Got whacked by a Maggie coming along the bridge into the parklands this morning. :o
diggerdantheman, a workmate and I have all been done by that bird. we don't think it's a maggie
Similar swooping birds are

Magpie Lark
Grey Butcherbird

Probably not a masked lapwing or plover - they have a distinctive shriek as they dive

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:25 pm

Perth:

Perfectly OK this morning. Cold enough that the jacket was not clammy, eventually warm enough to strip it off. Not a wisp of wind, water like a mirror.

And now it's warming up rapidly over the next few days with 34 celsius forecast for the public holiday on Monday. :)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

orbeas

Postby orbeas » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:42 pm

Not as cold as yesterday.. non the less a good ride
Orbea Euskaltel:Ultegra,Durace,RS80
Orbea Erandio Hybrid

embee8

Postby embee8 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:18 pm

Perth: lovely but chilly (4°C) this morning riding south along Curtin Ave towards Freo. Looking forward to the high temps over the long weekend too!
Trek Domane 5.2
Giant CRX4

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Nice glassy river today, made a nice change from the buffeting I've had the rest of the week.

Had a departmental lunch today, restaurant was about 2.5k from the office and in the spirit of the spring corporate challenge, I scooted down on the bike (in a dress might I add), to many howls of 'showoff!' on my arrival. And I beat half the gang back as well - w1n! :mrgreen:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:35 pm

Perth weather, below 7 when I started, 14 when I finished 90 minutes later

Got swooped a few times, again by a bird on Allendale entrance (my shortcut between the freeway PSP and Murdoch Dr), does not bother me, the bird does not even get close, I just watch the shadows. But if freaked out a bunch students walking a friend to the train

Did do a little race training along the last section of the PSP. Scared a few fellow commuters, as each time I was doing a sprint interval, I had to pass another rider.Commuter Cup Racing to the max.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:35 pm

jasonc wrote:
That's what you tell yourself now... :wink:
You could smash it on the loop on Tuesday and still be right for Sunday!
Lisa

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:04 pm

marinmomma wrote:
jasonc wrote:
That's what you tell yourself now... :wink:
You could smash it on the loop on Tuesday and still be right for Sunday!
yeh yeh, am lean towards that. as long as i don't ride monday...

cruisy ride home - nice tail wind. get a great wheel suck along bicentennial bikeway - great sitting at just below 40 and felt like i wasn't doing anything!

nice guy - have ridden with him before - he had new wheel fulcrum "fours" or something - 2013 wheels. looked nice

EDIT: damn bird in roma st parklands got me AGAIN GRRRR

EDIT2: they were Fulcrum 2013 Racing Quattro wheels

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:54 am

Friday's commutes were marked by unstable and windy conditions in Melbourne, but I came through relatively unscathed.
Drizzle this morning for the second half of the ride into the CBD - took it easy as not to shock the system too much after the weekend's inactivity, shackled to the computers for work reasons.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:36 am

Yay for an early taste of summer - 19C minimum, shooting for 34 :D . Boo to working on public holidays :( At least I'm shaping up for a nice tailwind both ways.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle