Embarrassing Jerseys

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby Cruiserman » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Wow lots of ignorant and insulting people camped on the major climbs in the Tour then hey, often it is a sea of polka dots there. Hmm maybe they are exercising free will and buying a jersey to show which part of the sport they prefer. I have the WC kit for the year of my bike which was the brand ridden by the reigning WC (Paolo Bettini 2007 thus wore it in the 2008 season) it also has rainbow stripes painted on it. I dont wear the kit (mainly because it is white) and have no intention of sanding the stripes off the frame of the bike. The two are complimentary and have nothing to do with my ability or lack thereof on the bike. I also have the quickstep kit from the same period. Should I decide to sell the bike I will probably include both the WC and the team kit with it. If you weren't supposed to have them they would not be for sale on the open market.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600
Image
Cruiserman
 
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:14 pm

by BNA » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:20 pm

BNA
 

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby DavidL » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:20 pm

PB12IN wrote:Compairing sports people to war vets is a bit of a stretch.
And a bit insulting to vets.


+1

This thread is dead.

- David.
User avatar
DavidL
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:12 am
Location: Ballarat, Vic

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby Semar » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:34 pm

Saw a jersey on ehboy with DE RODE SPURTERS across the front. Could be misinterpreted. :lol:

But this one is a cringer

Image
It’s more like our thoughts are thinking us than we are thinking them.
User avatar
Semar
 
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:14 pm
Location: Goulburn Valley

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:09 pm

Kemp wrote:I can't believe how uptight some people are about this WC jersey business. It's about the same as Joe Blow walking down the street with an 'I won the Nobel Prize for x' t-shirt. They shouldn't be taken seriously. After all, what business is it of anyone else's what jersey someone decides to wear? I couldn't care if someone rode past me in a pink tu-tu with a feather duster. If that's their thing then so what? Sure, they might look like a goof, but why would you be worried or annoyed about someone else looking like a goof?


Kemp, I don't think anyone cares who is wearing what on the street, but the jerseys do mean something and there are places where that sort of thing is important. In fact, there are places where that sort of thing is not allowed. There are rules. While there is nothing to stop people from doing things like this in normal life, similarly there is nothing to stop people from being annoyed by it for whatever reason. War medals, tribal tattoos, badges of rank, uniforms, even titles of address are all ways of communicating and they all have a meaning, which is important.
User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
 
Posts: 3101
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby __PG__ » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:56 pm

When I was 19 years old I went out and bought a Miguel Indurain Banesto yellow jersey. I still wear it in summer.

I don't buy team gear anymore, but IMO a cyclist wearing a 'pro' jersey is no different to turning up to a casual 5-a-side in the park with a Premier League jersey on.
Image
1994 Cecil Walker custom steel frame with Shimano Ultegra STi
2013 Baum Corretto custom titanium frame with SRAM Force
__PG__
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:30 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:28 pm

Cruiserman wrote:Wow lots of ignorant and insulting people camped on the major climbs in the Tour then hey, often it is a sea of polka dots there. Hmm maybe they are exercising free will and buying a jersey to show which part of the sport they prefer.

That is because the sponsor of the KOM jersey hands out a lot of Maillot aux pois T-shirts ( and hats) near the summit of the Tour de France cols... people don't buy them.
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14382
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby pauls51 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:33 pm

Damn!!!! I better stop wearing my pies jersey, my real madrid jersey's and my blackhawks jersey's, because apparently I didn't earn them... hahahah what a joke :roll:

At the end of the day we are all on the same team!!! Go out and ride!
User avatar
pauls51
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:53 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby m@ » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:39 pm

DavidL wrote:
PB12IN wrote:Compairing sports people to war vets is a bit of a stretch.
And a bit insulting to vets.


+1

This thread is dead.

- David.

Not quite.

You know who else liked medals and ribbons? HITLER!

NOW this thread is dead! :lol:
harmonix1234 wrote:Forecast for Hobart next week is rain, sleet, ice and all kinds of hell.
HTFU harmonix.
User avatar
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 4446
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: Northlandia

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby PA » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:58 pm

People like to show who they support. I am sure it wasn't Cadel Evans I drove past yesterday in his BMC gear but who gives a toss. It is no different to any person who wears a piece of clothing showing support for a Football team or a car racing team or driver.

If I was given a jersey with some design similar to that worn by the KOM or some other award I would not have a problem wearing it. No one is going to think I won it when they see me. :shock:

Some people around here might need to stop reading The Rules and lighten up. Except for the matching kit, wear a team top then your choices are team knicks or black knicks.

Anyway I have had my little rant and now you can go back to saying how ridiculous a rider who wears a yellow jersey on the road looks.
In the morning, we RIDE.
User avatar
PA
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:08 pm
Location: South Australia

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby Oxford » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:27 pm

So what colour jersey can we wear? No yellow, white, green, pink, polka dot, ochre, rainbow colours, black, red, blue, orange, or golden hue, all colours earned by riders in WC or major tours, past and/or present. As long as you are not racing it unearned, who gives damn?
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
User avatar
Oxford
 
Posts: 5114
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby ozzymac » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:34 pm

Maybe we should all just ride naked.....

That would give everyone something to complain about then.... Oh my eyes...........


Cheers
User avatar
ozzymac
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:49 pm

ozzymac wrote:Maybe we should all just ride naked.....

That would give everyone something to complain about then.... Oh my eyes...........


Cheers


Then we'd have people wearing stretch marks they didn't earn.
User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
 
Posts: 3101
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby PB12IN » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:57 pm

ozzymac wrote:Maybe we should all just ride naked.....

That would give everyone something to complain about then.... Oh my eyes...........


Cheers


Its alright I have a fur suit.

so you want a perminant World Naked Bike Ride
PB12IN
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby Kemp » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:35 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
Kemp wrote:I can't believe how uptight some people are about this WC jersey business. It's about the same as Joe Blow walking down the street with an 'I won the Nobel Prize for x' t-shirt. They shouldn't be taken seriously. After all, what business is it of anyone else's what jersey someone decides to wear? I couldn't care if someone rode past me in a pink tu-tu with a feather duster. If that's their thing then so what? Sure, they might look like a goof, but why would you be worried or annoyed about someone else looking like a goof?


Kemp, I don't think anyone cares who is wearing what on the street, but the jerseys do mean something and there are places where that sort of thing is important. In fact, there are places where that sort of thing is not allowed. There are rules. While there is nothing to stop people from doing things like this in normal life, similarly there is nothing to stop people from being annoyed by it for whatever reason. War medals, tribal tattoos, badges of rank, uniforms, even titles of address are all ways of communicating and they all have a meaning, which is important.


There are places where wearing a WC jersey would probably be inappropriate, I agree. But if we're going to be specific, the let's be specific. The opening poster is referring to receiving a KOM jersey from a friend or relative. Presumably this rider is not a professional, and therefore is talking about wearing the jersey for everyday public use like most of us on here, and that's the context that I'm speaking to, not a context that involves any kind of official protocols, rules or regulations that apply to professional cyclists.

You're right that they mean something, but meaning is always relative to context. The colour yellow does not always designate the leader of the tour de france, nor does someone wearing a yellow t-shirt, or even someone wearing a yellow t-shirt on a bicycle. The meaning of the jerseys is relevant in the context of professional cycling, but there is a difference between being involved in professional cycling and merely knowing about a jersey that does or does not have some significant meaning. If a rider were to wear the leader's jersey during the tour de france and they were not the leader, then yes -- how offensive and stupid and against the rules. But on the road where those rules don't apply, with everyone else who isn't competing in the tour... so what.
Kemp
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:10 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby clackers » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:38 pm

pauls51 wrote:Damn!!!! I better stop wearing my pies jersey, my real madrid jersey's and my blackhawks jersey's, because apparently I didn't earn them...


If you're wearing a Packers jersey, Paul, you're showing support, but if you're also brandishing a replica Superbowl ring, this might not be considered a good call. :grin:
User avatar
clackers
 
Posts: 1962
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 10:48 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:02 pm

Kemp wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
Kemp wrote:I can't believe how uptight some people are about this WC jersey business. It's about the same as Joe Blow walking down the street with an 'I won the Nobel Prize for x' t-shirt. They shouldn't be taken seriously. After all, what business is it of anyone else's what jersey someone decides to wear? I couldn't care if someone rode past me in a pink tu-tu with a feather duster. If that's their thing then so what? Sure, they might look like a goof, but why would you be worried or annoyed about someone else looking like a goof?


Kemp, I don't think anyone cares who is wearing what on the street, but the jerseys do mean something and there are places where that sort of thing is important. In fact, there are places where that sort of thing is not allowed. There are rules. While there is nothing to stop people from doing things like this in normal life, similarly there is nothing to stop people from being annoyed by it for whatever reason. War medals, tribal tattoos, badges of rank, uniforms, even titles of address are all ways of communicating and they all have a meaning, which is important.


There are places where wearing a WC jersey would probably be inappropriate, I agree. But if we're going to be specific, the let's be specific. The opening poster is referring to receiving a KOM jersey from a friend or relative. Presumably this rider is not a professional, and therefore is talking about wearing the jersey for everyday public use like most of us on here, and that's the context that I'm speaking to, not a context that involves any kind of official protocols, rules or regulations that apply to professional cyclists.

You're right that they mean something, but meaning is always relative to context. The colour yellow does not always designate the leader of the tour de france, nor does someone wearing a yellow t-shirt, or even someone wearing a yellow t-shirt on a bicycle. The meaning of the jerseys is relevant in the context of professional cycling, but there is a difference between being involved in professional cycling and merely knowing about a jersey that does or does not have some significant meaning. If a rider were to wear the leader's jersey during the tour de france and they were not the leader, then yes -- how offensive and stupid and against the rules. But on the road where those rules don't apply, with everyone else who isn't competing in the tour... so what.


I agree that people can wear what they want, but I also agree that people are allowed to be annoyed with it. Someone bought up war medals and it's very easy for me to go to a surplus store or online and buy a variety of replica medals (or even real ones). If a veteran got annoyed with me for wearing them because I didn't earn them, he'd be perfectly right to be annoyed. Similarly, if I decided that Maori facial tattoos would be a good idea and some Maori's got annoyed, we'd still both be right to hold our respective opinions.

The argument of "what difference does it make?" is a very complex one. If you want to go down this pathway, maybe we should start discussing art installations such as Serrano's Piss Christ. Symbols are important, to some.
User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
 
Posts: 3101
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:23 pm

If you wore a Moku (facial tattoo) I can guarantee a Maori would be more than just "a little annoyed" :lol: Your face would most likely be in need of "a little reconstructive surgery".
I am astounded though by the snobbery of some of you guys. Millions of cyclists through the years have worn many well known and historically significant jerseys on their rides. IMO it's reflective of the rich history and fanatical love of the sport.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying the maillot jaune as a result of being proud of Cuddle's efforts. In fact they sell thousands if not more worldwide every year, and they don't all hang on the walls of those who can afford them do they? That you can't wear one because you didn't earn it is a pathetic view.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby skull » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:41 pm

Those trying to compare wearing a world champ or other national champ jersey to impersonating a vet or Maori really need to think about your argument and slightly pull your head in.

Clearer argument below

No for those that brought the whole comparison of sports peeps to veterans argument into this thread "stuff you", trying to use those sort of comparison has pissed me off and unless you have served in warlike service, pull your head in.
Last edited by skull on Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
skull
 
Posts: 1676
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby Oxford » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:48 pm

I framed the yellow jersey I have and will never wear it again, mostly because it has both Cadel and Robbie's signatures on it (from when they were both on the Lotto team together).

I still wear the pink jersey I have, but its little tight now, so it gets worn under other gear.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
User avatar
Oxford
 
Posts: 5114
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:59 pm

I agree the Vets argument is a lot OT.
But IMO it's reflective of the rich history and fanatical love of the sport that the wearing of certain jersey's is a sticking point... personally I don't really care but I would never wear one myself.
If you are going to ride around in a world champions jersey then be prepared for someone to comment on it. Some people are bothered by such comments, some are not.
I prefer my sponsors kit :D .
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14382
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:19 pm

Play the ball, not the man, play the ball, not the man, play the ball not the man....I'm repeating this to myself, not to you lot. I'm giving up. There's no point in trying to get people to see both sides of an argument when they're more than happy with the side they're on.

Image
User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
 
Posts: 3101
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby splint » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:31 pm

people CAN wear what they like, but I have to admit we did have a chuckle when we passed a bloke, wearing a polka dot jersey walking his bike up a not too difficult climb in France a couple of months ago.....
splint
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:14 am

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby briztoon » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:44 am

Dam it. And here I was about to buy a BELGIUM CHAMPION kit from the Omega Pharma - Quikstep web site.
http://www.omegapharma-quickstep.com/en ... y/catID/23

I guess they don't mind fans wearing them if they sell them. But seeing as it's a cycling fashion faux pas I guess I'll just continue wearing my htc highroad kit. After all it is cool to wear kit of now defunct teams isn't it? isn't it?
Image
briztoon
 
Posts: 1236
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:15 am
Location: Belmont, Brisbane

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby skull » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:44 am

OK I will try and provide my argument a bit clearer since I am not under the influence of a bottle of red.

Trying to pull similarities between Veterans and cyclists is a massive strawman.

Now if someone was to try and impersonate a Veteran they are usually outed and made to present their case. There is a great website http://www.anzmi.net/ that has great stories of military imposters. There are other ways someone provides support to Veterans by wearing commemorative clothes, flag waving ect. Hell when someone wears camo clothing (which is rather popular) does that mean it is bad form because they are wearing clothing similar to that of the military?

But anyway no way in comparison to a person wearing a jersey of a team, national champs, world champs. Now if the person was wearing the kit to try and play off that they are in such team or are a champ sure, bad form, but they aren't. Hell they aren't even in a race wearing the kit they are out riding around.
User avatar
skull
 
Posts: 1676
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby __PG__ » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:58 am

Just a thought. For those who ridicule polka-dot wearing riders who can't climb, would you feel the same if they were wearing an Assos jersey while riding a $20,000 bike?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Image
1994 Cecil Walker custom steel frame with Shimano Ultegra STi
2013 Baum Corretto custom titanium frame with SRAM Force
__PG__
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:30 am
Location: Melbourne

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baalzamon



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit