Shimano 7 Speed Shifters

JustJames

Shimano 7 Speed Shifters

Postby JustJames » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:57 pm

Hi All

Mini-Me has a kids' MTB which came with Shimano Tourney 7 speed, with grip shifters.

His little hands struggle a bit to change gears, and I think he'd find trigger/rapid fire type shifters easier to use.

My question for the panel is, will any Shimano 7 speed shifters work just find with the Tourney mechs?

My suspicion is that they will work fine, as the mechs just go where the shifter tells them to go, and Shimano 7 speed gear spacing would always be the same.

As ever, thanks in advance,

James
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mitzikatzi

Re: Shimano 7 Speed Shifters

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:00 pm

JustJames wrote:...snip..
My suspicion is that they will work fine, as the mechs just go where the shifter tells them to go, and Shimano 7 speed gear spacing would always be the same.

..snip..
That would be my suspicion as well.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:21 pm

Hey James,

I've got a 7 speed rapid fire shifter you can try for the cost of postage if you like.

It's the ST-EF29-7 model, with integrated V brake lever.

Cheers,

Rob

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:03 am

Thanks very much Rob, that's very kind.

PM sent.

James
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:56 am

JustJames wrote: Mini-Me has a kids' MTB which came with Shimano Tourney 7 speed, with grip shifters.

His little hands struggle a bit to change gears, and I think he'd find trigger/rapid fire type shifters easier to use.
This is good to know :D. We have twist shifters on out front seat kiddy carrying hybrid. Him not being able to actually change gear is great :).

Sorry, I can't be of more help on your problem though :(.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:28 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:
JustJames wrote:...snip..

..snip..
That would be my suspicion as well.
Such suspicious natures........
Alas I share the sentiment :wink:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:02 pm

First post here and a bit of a thread dig I know...

I just went through this exercise with my 9yo daughter's Mongoose MTB - 7-speed GripShift. I purchased a 7-speed Shimano shifter (Alivio???), fitted & tuned it and she loves it. Very simple job to do and now she WANTS to ride the bike again.

cheers