Embarrassing Jerseys

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby CatCanRide » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:10 am

If people can buy these jerseys without earning them, are the jerseys really that unique?

Agree that you shouldn't wear these special jerseys in a competition where you have not earned them, but if they are available to the average Joe on the street, then wearing them on the street is surely acceptable.

If you have a problem with that then the appropriate action would be to take it up with the manufacturers who make the jerseys for general sale.
User avatar
CatCanRide
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:21 pm

by BNA » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:40 pm

BNA
 

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby Uncle Just » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:40 pm

Another take on this issue just like in all avenues of life is that you can't buy taste. I suspect many new to the sport or even recreational riding find it strange that there are "taboos" around what to wear, what to ride and how you set up your bike. This is true of many pastimes and is not sometimes even able to be defended or understood, it just is. Remember some of us come from a time when to ride a bike was a very bold, lonely thing to do, even brave as you only saw old blokes or clubmen out training. To ride a bike invited questions surrounding your manlihood or assumed poverty. You were fair game for every nutter so you developed a shield, a code of behaviour sometimes based on a faraway racing scene only accessible through usually hard to get magazines about what is considered acceptable. This is a perhaps an inadequate explantion but some traditions grow up through adversity and stick. For sure it's arcane and hard to decipher but there you go. Try turning up to a private golf course with the wrong gear. :lol: You will be asked to leave. In the end, it shouldn't matter to anyone of course and for sure the enormous influx of participants coming into cycling is turning many of these shibboleths on its head. (Knee high black socks anyone?) The real issue is getting cycling normalised as an everyday activity where it is not even remarked upon.
Uncle Just
 
Posts: 461
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:54 pm

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby jimsheedy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:55 pm

I honestly think amateurs wearing pro team race kit a bigger detriment to cycling PR than occasionally riding through a red light
Image
User avatar
jimsheedy
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby ozzymac » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:34 pm

jimsheedy wrote:I honestly think amateurs wearing pro team race kit a bigger detriment to cycling PR than occasionally riding through a red light


Wow!!!

Now I have heard everything........

So because I choose to wear a greenEdge jersey or a BMC jersey that is worse for pr of cycling than if I was to ride through red lights.


Please explain...........

As I heard some one say once.


Cheers
User avatar
ozzymac
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:08 pm

Wow..........just how much damage could I do by wearing my GreenEDGE jersey and bibnicks AND then ride through a red light as well.

The mind boggles ........... I could not only destroy the reputation of the GreenEDGE team, but also set back cycling in general 10 years of hard fought PR reputation.

Bugger I think I will go back to bed, I can’t handle this much responsibility.
User avatar
greyhoundtom
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:28 am
Location: Narre Warren, Victoria

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby jimsheedy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:53 pm

It's one of the most common points or put downs or negative queries if you will the haters make.
Image
User avatar
jimsheedy
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:50 pm

jimsheedy wrote:It's one of the most common points or put downs or negative queries if you will the haters make.

Mate, as far as I’m concerned the haters can go and get stuffed.............you can do everything right and behave as a little angel, and the bike haters will still find something to whine about anyway.

We keep on about getting more bums on bike seats, so why should any cyclist care about what any other cyclist is wearing, AS LONG AS THEY ARE RIDING A BIKE EVERYTHING IS GOOD.
User avatar
greyhoundtom
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:28 am
Location: Narre Warren, Victoria

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby Walastik » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:10 pm

jimsheedy wrote:I honestly think amateurs wearing pro team race kit a bigger detriment to cycling PR than occasionally riding through a red light


I hope this is sarcasm because....wow. just wow.
Walastik
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:38 pm

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby MarkG » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:05 pm

I won't wear a pro kit but have nothing against anyone who does.
Actually I do have a Rock Racing jersey (they were awsome out casts and bad asses) :)
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"
User avatar
MarkG
 
Posts: 2147
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby JustJames » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:07 pm

And in other news today, "The Rules" are in fact, not rules at all...they are a bunch of jokey guidelines (except for Rule 5 and Rule 9, which are completely serious).

If you feel that you shouldn't wear a jersey of a particular type, for whatever reason, you shouldn't wear that jersey.

If other people want to wear jerseys that you won't wear...smile and wave boys, smile and wave!

This piece of philosophy brought to you by Madagascar...currently showing on 7. :D
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/
User avatar
JustJames
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:50 am

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby jimsheedy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:45 pm

Walastik wrote:
jimsheedy wrote:I honestly think amateurs wearing pro team race kit a bigger detriment to cycling PR than occasionally riding through a red light


I hope this is sarcasm because....wow. just wow.


Totally serious. I'm not saying I agree or endorse that or have the same feelings. It's an observation. When talking with people or reading or listening to opinions in the media - social and mainstream, This is one of the first points of anti cycling thought. I agree that people should wear what they want. I personally eschew corporate and team branding, always have. I am a life long surfer and have never been seduced by the allure of corporate logos or surf brands except for maybe when I was a young kid.

Of course it comes down to personal taste and freedom of choice. As I often with years of riding and road knowledge make a valued and informed judgement and when I feel it is safe for others as well as myself to do so will ride through a red light. I think a campaign by cyclists to demonise me for doing so because of what other road users may think holds about as much weight as what those same road users may think of my attire.
Image
User avatar
jimsheedy
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby roller » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:45 pm

JustJames wrote:And in other news today, "The Rules" are in fact, not rules at all...they are a bunch of jokey guidelines (except for Rule 5 and Rule 9, which are completely serious).

If you feel that you shouldn't wear a jersey of a particular type, for whatever reason, you shouldn't wear that jersey.

If other people want to wear jerseys that you won't wear...smile and wave boys, smile and wave!

This piece of philosophy brought to you by Madagascar...currently showing on 7. :D


exactly, 100%

if you have a problem with what someone is wearing, realise it's your problem, not theirs.
Image
User avatar
roller
 
Posts: 1553
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: embleton

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby Ozkaban » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:49 pm

JustJames wrote:And in other news today, "The Rules" are in fact, not rules at all...they are a bunch of jokey guidelines (except for Rule 5 and Rule 9, which are completely serious).

If you feel that you shouldn't wear a jersey of a particular type, for whatever reason, you shouldn't wear that jersey.

If other people want to wear jerseys that you won't wear...smile and wave boys, smile and wave!

This piece of philosophy brought to you by Madagascar...currently showing on 7. :D

Thank you.

End of argument, really :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Ozkaban
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby Semar » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:11 pm

The topic is embarrassing jerseys. Whilst we quibble about taste and even certain privileges associated with jerseys, non-cyclists think we are all a wee bit foolish for wearing lycra at all.

Some time ago I saw a bloke with a really big gut decked out in Giant gear. Good on him for getting on his bike!

I wear jerseys with lots of red to be seen on country roads. :wink:
It’s more like our thoughts are thinking us than we are thinking them.
User avatar
Semar
 
Posts: 2912
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:14 pm
Location: Goulburn Valley

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby RobM » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:41 pm

jimsheedy wrote:...Of course it comes down to personal taste and freedom of choice. As I often with years of riding and road knowledge make a valued and informed judgement and when I feel it is safe for others as well as myself to do so will ride through a red light. I think a campaign by cyclists to demonise me for doing so because of what other road users may think holds about as much weight as what those same road users may think of my attire.


Except that running red lights with any vehicle is illegal. (Wearing particular clothes or jerseys, is not.)

Thats why its frowned upon.
User avatar
RobM
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:47 pm
Location: Brisbane QLD

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby munga » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:50 am

i was reading a blog the other day, and that days topic was about team jerseys and their association to doping and disrepute etc.
if you wanted to, you could make an argument for or against the wearing of almost every type or style of jersey.
personally i don't care what anyone wears, but i can appreciate others' viewpoints too.
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
User avatar
munga
 
Posts: 6637
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:17 pm
Location: wowe

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby Retro man » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:00 am

I don't play for Collingwood but I still wear their jumper, because they are my team and I support them. I would not wear a Yellow, green or polkadot jersey or a world champion jersey because I feel it should be only worn by those that earn it, it is a symbol of achievment. Be a bit like walking down to the local shops with copies of Mark Spitz's Olympic gold medals hanging around my neck.
If you are only wearing team kit as a supporter of the said team I don't see a problem with it.
Gitane Criterium. Puch mistral SE. Manhattan Flyer.
Retro man
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:29 am

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby DW260 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:57 am

I've got a few jerseys, one of which is a "Frosties" jersey, brought from Foska, the other is Boston Bruins ice hockey replica, and the other is a Tarin Kowt Cycling Club (TKCC) jersey.

I personally don't care much for taboo's and don't give a toss what cycling apparel people choose to wear. To be honest I'm usually struggling for breath to even bother noticing what attire people are in. Just as long as you aren't naked I'm happy :)

I wear the Kellogs Frosties purely because it takes me back to my sugar enriched childhood, Bruins jersey because I love the city of Boston, and TKCC because I'm a veteran and choose to show my support for legacy. I find they are all great conversation starters at the local coffee spot.

If peeps want to wear KOM jerseys, good stuff! At least it will increase your chances of being seen on the roads. But please don't liken wearing winners jerseys with with dressing up as Sailors, Soldiers or Airmen. Dressing like Cadel isn't illegal, but dressing as a serviceman is and will see you incredibly embarrassed, if not a little black-and-blue, come ANZAC day.
Merida 907e Reacto. Fast and comfortable.
Giant XTC 2 29er
Malvern Star Oppy A4
DW260
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:43 am

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby warthog1 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:37 am

jimsheedy wrote:
Totally serious. I'm not saying I agree or endorse that or have the same feelings. It's an observation. When talking with people or reading or listening to opinions in the media - social and mainstream, This is one of the first points of anti cycling thought. I agree that people should wear what they want.


Thats not much of an argument or even a considered observation. As has been pointed out anti cycling people will complain about cyclists whatever they wear. They have dared to venture onto the complainants personal road space :evil: and for that they must be punished. Cyclists wearing team jerseys are just sports fans displaying their allegiances.
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 2824
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:28 pm

DW260 wrote:...and the other is a Tarin Kowt Cycling Club (TKCC) jersey.

THAT is awesome! Shame I couldn't wear it if it was still available, I'm never gonna earn those stripes. :(

Huge cheers to all peeps who have earned them, I owe each and every one of you multiple beers. :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25778
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby Chris249 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:09 pm

Can't help thinking that many people keep on denying Jim's point about logo-emblazoned kit, without actually proving that it is wrong.

Can't agree with those who say "haters will hate".... if it is as simple as that then every group may as well enrage and incite every other group without care or reason because nothing will change. Surely we all know that in reality action does equal reaction. Group A can wear something that annoys Group B and therefore causes more aggro, right or wrong.

People can dislike cyclists because of the kit we wear. Whether that is a good reaction or not is completely irrelevant to Jim's point, but personally I tend to think that his point is reasonable in that the logo-emblazoned lycra look is something that generates an anti-cyclist feeling in SOME (not all) people. The fact that is should NOT do so is irrelevant in some ways.

Re "Dressing like Cadel isn't illegal, but dressing as a serviceman is and will see you incredibly embarrassed, if not a little black-and-blue, come ANZAC day."

Apart from the illegality, what's the difference? If cyclist X can honour Team Sky (with whom they have zero connection apart from fandom) by wearing their uniform, why can't cyclist Y honour relatives and friends who served (with whom they have very strong connections) by wearing a service uniform? I'm not saying that either is wrong, and I would not do either, but from some angles (NOT the emotive ones but the logical ones) it's hard to see a difference.

The fact that this is a cultural thing seems to be shown by the fact that in my other sports, wearing kit from a team or event of which you were not part of is basically completely unknown and would get you laughed out of any club. Since that sport is as large (in some ways) as cycling and the people in it are at least as smart, the difference seems to underline that this is not something that is open to logic and is really cultural.

BTW I went racing today and bought a skinsuit complete with WC stripes that fits my wife (who rides and has started to race) from a cycling legend, and had it signed, so we are currently facing the "can this be worn" issue personally!
Last edited by Chris249 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are many types of racing cyclists. There is the sprinter, the rouleur, the stagiaire, the danser, the descender.... sadly, I'm a mediocre. :-(

2003 Cervelo P2K time trial bike
2010 Merida Cyclocross 4
2008 Giant SS/track
2008 Vivente Como roadie
Chris249
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:36 pm

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby flow.rider » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:11 pm

I saw a rider in a Sky team jersey today. I think he looked pretty cool. I might get one.
flow.rider
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:44 pm

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby munga » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:01 pm

Chris249 wrote:If cyclist X can honour Team Sky (with whom they have zero connection apart from fandom) by wearing their uniform, why can't cyclist Y honour relatives and friends who served (with whom they have very strong connections) by wearing a service uniform? I'm not saying that either is wrong, and I would not do either, but from some angles (NOT the emotive ones but the logical ones) it's hard to see a difference.


unless i misinterpreted your point, i think the main difference is one is impersonating someone who pledged their lives to serve our country, and one is impersonating someone who rides a bike really really well.
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
User avatar
munga
 
Posts: 6637
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:17 pm
Location: wowe

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby MarkG » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:09 pm

RonK wrote:I passed the world champion(apparently) out on the road recently - bad form I reckon. It's not something I'd bother to comment to the wearer about (unless I knew him), but the thought that immediately came to mind rhymes with anchor.

Banker? :ugeek:
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"
User avatar
MarkG
 
Posts: 2147
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby DW260 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:23 am

Chris249 wrote:
Re "Dressing like Cadel isn't illegal, but dressing as a serviceman is and will see you incredibly embarrassed, if not a little black-and-blue, come ANZAC day."

Apart from the illegality, what's the difference? If cyclist X can honour Team Sky (with whom they have zero connection apart from fandom) by wearing their uniform, why can't cyclist Y honour relatives and friends who served (with whom they have very strong connections) by wearing a service uniform? I'm not saying that either is wrong, and I would not do either, but from some angles (NOT the emotive ones but the logical ones) it's hard to see a difference.


I can see the point you are trying to make, an on some counts it represents a valid argument. Sadly the people who do choose to wear military clothing, generally only do so to further their own interests. Whether it is to further their standing in the community, fraudulently claim pensions or health benefits, their desire to wear the uniform is the antithesis of respect.

I guess it just depends on the pretence of why you are wearing it. If my partner ever goes through chemotherapy again - I will go bald to show support and respect. But I'd never be low enough to try and pass myself off as a cancer sufferer.

Emotively or logically, morally or ethically, legal or illegal - reasonable people will know the difference.
Merida 907e Reacto. Fast and comfortable.
Giant XTC 2 29er
Malvern Star Oppy A4
DW260
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:43 am

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: boyracer, gresford, jasonc, Scarfy96, silentbutdeadly, simonn



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit