Name this knock around!

CurbsideCowboy

Name this knock around!

Postby CurbsideCowboy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:03 pm

Like the title says, I'm looking for an ID on my runabout. I've had this one for a couple years now, which was a hard rubish find - more like several, and am still non the wiser. Can't tell you much about this bike other than it is light, so I'd say definately cro-mo tubing. Initially I'd picked this up when I first got into retro biking and upon seeing the supposed cinelli badge on the head tube, thought I was in for the big bucks! She's no cinelli, but a good ride nontheless!

Frame is 56/56cm - perfect geometry for myself.
It's a lugged frame, possibly late 70's to mid 80's.
Any ideas?

Is this one something that should be restored or left how it it? Thanks!

morini

Re: Name this knock around!

Postby morini » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:54 pm

Looks similar to the frame in a thread the other week.
Scroll down and there's a picture of a blue Gazelle Champion Mondial. Same sort of seat stay caps but the mudguard eyelets throw me a bit. Maybe, maybe not.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 81#p750601" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CurbsideCowboy

Postby CurbsideCowboy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:28 pm

Your right, it does look very close, however I am firmly confident it isn't a Gazelle. If it were, it should surely be stamped GAZELLE on the bottom bracket. Also the lugs are different, there's no spades/cut outs, and as you said the eyelets for guards are off by a bit. Does anyone recognise or know of similar BB or serial #?

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:29 pm

If it's really made from 531, then it's definitely worth fixing. This was one of the best tube sets on the market for a long time. If that's what it is, then it's manganese-molybdenum, not cr-mo.

The lugs & fork crown are very similar to what you'd expect to see on a Raleigh, but I'm not 100% convinced that's what it is.

The fork has been drilled to accept the recessed nut for the front brake.

Is there any writing on the dropouts? They look a lot like Campagnolo 1010s.

Nice bike, regardless of what it is. 8)

CurbsideCowboy

Postby CurbsideCowboy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:47 pm

Yeah, you're right there. Dropouts are definately campy 1010, not too sure about the tubing though, but it is super light. Otherwise there's no other stampings to be seen, bar the bb.

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:37 am

We had a very, very similar bike join us yesterday on the Riverloop.The guy has had it from new,~25years, but didn't say where he had it made. The Shimano 600 grouppo was also the same vintage. His tubing was 501. If he joins us again I'll ask him again about where he got it made.
Waz
Wazza

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:12 am

Looks lke its wearing fishnets, call it Alexander Downer
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:38 am

CurbsideCowboy wrote:Dropouts are definately campy 1010
You can easily tell, because they'll have the word Campagnolo etched into them. You might have to remove the wheel (or QR) to see it.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:54 am

Wazza wrote:We had a very, very similar bike join us yesterday on the Riverloop.The guy has had it from new,~25years, but didn't say where he had it made. The Shimano 600 grouppo was also the same vintage. His tubing was 501. If he joins us again I'll ask him again about where he got it made.
Waz
Wazza, i'm pretty sure the tubing on his bike is 531c. He had it made in the 80s in a Sydney bike shop called bikebarn? don't quote on the name.

dubrat

Postby dubrat » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:24 am

Judging from the profile of the top of the seat stays its likely to be 531... Extended lug tanges are a nive touch...

CurbsideCowboy

Postby CurbsideCowboy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:49 pm

Here's a couple of frames that look very similar in regards to lugs, fork crowns and geometry. Does anyone have experience with any of these bikes or knowledge that might help identify this beast?

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:47 pm

This thread on FOA is delivering much better than this one :P

http://www.fixed.org.au/forums/f42/fram ... red-25208/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:58 pm

It's easy to get "hung up" on these things.

The one piece of advice which I believe to be right: Clean it up and ride it.

spirito

Postby spirito » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:05 pm

vaeske wrote:
He had it made in the 80s in a Sydney bike shop called bikebarn? don't quote on the name.
Bike Barn in Paramatta were a very busy shop but the never built their own frames. Mostly sold production frames and may have contracted local builders but none that I have heard confirmed of so far.
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.