cyclists are not to blame for accidents

beauyboy

cyclists are not to blame for accidents

Postby beauyboy » Thu May 22, 2008 11:02 pm

Artical published in the city news
www.questnews.com.au
paper city news
Council warns cyclists of city danger zones
BRISBANE, May 22: Inner-city cyclists are more likely to be knocked-off their bikes by oblivious motorists and pedestrians than any other cause, a new council audit reveals.
The Brisbane City Council audit shows that of 10 serious injuries sustained by cyclists in the CBD in the past four years, at least eight were caused by drivers or pedestrians.
Findings from the audit have been used to bolster the case for council’s inner-city bike hire project by showing the state of CBD roads and paths were not to blame for serious bicycle crashes in the four years to July 2007 and could support such a scheme.
``It is clear from these results that the nature of the serious accidents involving cyclists was due to behavioural aspects…’’ a report on the audit states.
The audit shows 52 CBD bicycle crashes within the period, including 10 crashes where the cyclist was hospitalised with a serious injury.
Three of the serious crashes were on Ann St and two on Elizabeth St (where pedestrians were found at fault), while Roma St, George St, College Rd, Edward St and Coronation Drive recorded one crash each. No fatalities were recorded.
Two involved a car door being opened on a cyclist, another two were blamed on driver inattention, one involved a driver making a wrong turn, another a driver failing to indicate, two through pedestrian fault and two put down to cyclist error.
Labor environment spokeswoman Helen Abrahams said there was a need for a safe cross-CBD bikepath. She believed Adelaide St would be the logical route option.
This is interesting artical in that it states that motorists are not doing what they are spose to and that pedestrian are cattle.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

Streetsweeper

Postby Streetsweeper » Fri May 23, 2008 10:29 am

I've been trying to find information about the Brisbance city bike hire project. Does anyone know where details have been published?

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Fri May 23, 2008 11:16 am

there's no real details yet...just seems to be the odd media story.
i have a feeling campbell is just tyre-kicking...i really don't know how they're gonna get around the issue of helmets...

as for that article - bloody pedestrians! they are almost as bad as cars when it comes to the CBD!

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Fri May 23, 2008 12:53 pm

I tend to agree about the pedestrians especially the jogger that decide to go jogging along commuter bikeways in peak time. If we had vintage car groups going out at peak hour at 20kmph everyday there would be huge compliants but it's joggers so it is ok. :evil:

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri May 23, 2008 1:52 pm

Not many accidents where the bike was at fault
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?