Ride Quality - 20C through 22C tyres

toolonglegs

Re: Ride Quality - 20C through 22C tyres

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:30 am

Yes 22-23 are noticeably harder than 25's. But a lot will depend also on the tyre choice / tube... frame / wheels etc.
What frame has a tight clearance even on 23's?... seems a bit extreme.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:26 am

toolonglegs wrote:Yes 22-23 are noticeably harder than 25's. But a lot will depend also on the tyre choice / tube... frame / wheels etc.
What frame has a tight clearance even on 23's?... seems a bit extreme.

The clearance issue is height not width.

Edit: then again I could be wrong as I assumed a wider tyre will also be taller, but a 700x ??c is the outer diameter apparently.
The clearance with a 23c is only a couple of mm and I'm pretty sure I read on the Cervelo forum a 25c rubs.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:29 pm

IME 23mm tyres feel no different to 25mm tyres. They where completely different tyres (23mm Michelin Lithions, 25mm Kenda Kontender) so that could be a factor too. I generally like having tyres over-inflated for my weight because I hate that spongy feeling you get (Michelin suggest 86psi for my weight, I run 115psi). Everyone is different, I say you experiment with a few things and form your own opinion on what works best for you.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:36 pm

If you are buying a S5 then you will have to sacrifice a bit of comfort.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:14 pm

toolonglegs wrote:If you are buying a S5 then you will have to sacrifice a bit of comfort.
Got one :D but its not too bad comfort wise and absolutely hammers compared to My Azzurri 8)

For the OP I have no experience using 25 mm tyres but haven't had any cause to complain using 23mm ones. I'm about 81 kg and run 110 psi in clinchers.
If you want comfort go tubular. My 22mm corsa evo cx tubulars feel as good at 160-180 as the clinchers do at the lower pressure.

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:09 pm

warthog1 wrote: If you want comfort go tubular
what about tubless? I'm thinking about converting my wheels to tubless, but it seems like a technology that never really got developed... If I remember correctly, TooLongLegs runs tubless...

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:26 pm

I have not used them sorry, or latex tubes that are supposed to improve rolling resistance and ride.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:13 pm

My 28mm tyres say the minimum pressure is 115psi, max of 125. That seems very high, especially when I compare that to my 23mm tyres which have a max of 120psi, why so?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:45 pm

warthog1 wrote:I have not used them sorry, or latex tubes that are supposed to improve rolling resistance and ride.
What?! :o :shock: :? :wink: :mrgreen:

You haven't even tried latex tubes and you own a S5? :shock: Have you been living under a rock or something? :P

I've got them on two of my three bikes. I notice the difference more on the MTB where 50% of drag is rolling resistance. As latex gives 10% better roll (see below) that means a 5% total improvement, so noticeable. I found they improved comfort too. On the road bike by comparison I only noticed it at the top end ~50Km/h it appeared to gain 1 or 2 Km/h. Seemed to make no noticeable difference to comfort that I could detect, but I'd say it's doing something from what I've seen on the MTB.
Inner tubes matter: Think there's no point in that expensive lightweight tube? Think again if you're trying to go faster. According to Wheel Energy's data, latex tubes roll ten percent faster than common 0.6mm-thick butyl tubes though today's ultra-thin butyl models come admirably close. Just in case you're wondering, the claimed limit of human detection for rolling resistance is about five percent.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/tec ... eel-energy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:03 pm

Red Rider wrote:My 28mm tyres say the minimum pressure is 115psi, max of 125. That seems very high, especially when I compare that to my 23mm tyres which have a max of 120psi, why so?
Probably a good idea to ignore min and max pressures which appear to be dreamed up by sales people. My Rubino Pros say min 100psi. I run 85psi front 95psi rear usually. Probably a better idea to go by the graph below and then use trial and error from there to get the best pressures for the terrain you ride.
http://www.vintagebicyclepress.com/images/TireDrop.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A calculator adapted from above article:
http://www.dorkypantsr.us/bike-tire-pre ... lator.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:26 am

Nobody wrote:
warthog1 wrote:I have not used them sorry, or latex tubes that are supposed to improve rolling resistance and ride.
What?! :o :shock: :? :wink: :mrgreen:

You haven't even tried latex tubes and you own a S5? :shock: Have you been living under a rock or something? :P

I've got them on two of my three bikes. I notice the difference more on the MTB where 50% of drag is rolling resistance. As latex gives 10% better roll (see below) that means a 5% total improvement, so noticeable. I found they improved comfort too. On the road bike by comparison I only noticed it at the top end ~50Km/h it appeared to gain 1 or 2 Km/h. Seemed to make no noticeable difference to comfort that I could detect, but I'd say it's doing something from what I've seen on the MTB.
Inner tubes matter: Think there's no point in that expensive lightweight tube? Think again if you're trying to go faster. According to Wheel Energy's data, latex tubes roll ten percent faster than common 0.6mm-thick butyl tubes though today's ultra-thin butyl models come admirably close. Just in case you're wondering, the claimed limit of human detection for rolling resistance is about five percent.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/tec ... eel-energy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not under a rock, but I am in the country. We're a bit slow up this way :oops: :lol:

Thanks for the info, I'll have to give them a try, though I race on tubulars which have a latex tube.
Do you get more punctures with them and can they be patched as easily as a rubber tube?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:39 pm

warthog1 wrote:Do you get more punctures with them and can they be patched as easily as a rubber tube?
I haven't got more punctures with them. Some say you get less as the tube can stretch around the intruding object and when you do the leak is smaller. I've found they patch OK with the normal patches and glue (vulcanizing fluid).

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:31 pm

No worries, I'll give then a go. Thanks Nobody :)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:14 pm

I don't run tubeless anymore except on my Mtb. Mainly because latex is great and you don't get punctures here like you do in the glass strewn wastelands of oz ;-) .
The only trouble I have with latex is they are a bit more heat sensitive especially on the big descents I do... ie don't pump them up to hard in the big mountains.
Also when I change tyres, which I do fairly often as I like newish tyres on for racing I find it hard to reuse the tube as they stretch a bit and the Michelin green tubes that I run are quite big for a 23mm already.
I am just about to go searching for some small 29'er latex tubes to run in my 32mm cx tyres :-) .