First crash

tuco

First crash

Postby tuco » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:33 am

I had my first crash, well really it was a fall, I'm sure walking pace is classed as a fall, much like old people have falls because they're too old to go fast.

And it's Richard's fault, "Ride in the rain you chicken poo.", he said.

My last four rides have started with no rain, but it's rained on all of them and three of them I ended up saturated.

We decided to head of to the dam to have a look at the 3.5m of waters going over the spillway. Twenty kms into the wind and only disappointment when we got there. It's a construction zone isn't it so the entire area has a 3m fence around it. Couldn't even get close.

We headed back along the river path since there were too many cars and the roads were wet. It took ages as we had to keep detouring around sections where the river had flooded the path. It took five minutes just to get across the foot bridge because of sight seers. Running rivers up this way are a novelty.

I better wind up this story or Richard will be getting anxious that I'm after his longest post title. It started raining so we stopped at the next weir which had a covered area and waited. It stopped raining, we headed off, it started raining. Bugger it, we kept going. Yet another flooded section so up the path to the road. The path was slimy from being wet for two weeks and my back tyre went from under me and down I went.
I was going up hill and round a corner so I was going very slow. Only injury is a bruised forearm.

Of course when you fall you have to jump up and make a smart remark. I got up, hopped back on the bike and told my daughter, "It's slippery there.", then continued as if nothing happened.

Glad to get that first one out of the way. Also glad and surprised it didn't hurt my back.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:20 pm

Sorry to hear that. Good that you haven't hurt yourself.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:28 pm

Oi, I didn't call you 'chicken poo' :D

Bugger about the fall. Glad nothing's damaged (including the bike). Slimy and up hill around a tight turn eh? I reckon that qualifies as 'dodgy conditions' :shock:

Despite the fall, are you enjoying all the water? The news clips look impressive.

Richard

MJF

Postby MJF » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:36 pm

Sounds like PFD to me... had a few glasses before the ride? :D

Anyway - been there before (slippery road), except I took the skin off my knee, the side of my chin and the back of an ear :(

tuco

Postby tuco » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:16 pm

europa wrote:Oi, I didn't call you 'chicken poo' :D

Bugger about the fall. Glad nothing's damaged (including the bike). Slimy and up hill around a tight turn eh? I reckon that qualifies as 'dodgy conditions' :shock:

Despite the fall, are you enjoying all the water? The news clips look impressive.

Richard
True, it was "Seriously mate, just get out and ride", not "chicken poo" but after that insult in the insult thread, well I just had to exaggerate.

I've been proudly showing off my bruised arm to anyone with eyes.

Not really enjoying the water although the rain is nice and cool to ride in.

It's still raining today and a tropical low has developed east of Cairns (the startings of a cyclone) so I can't see it clearing up anytime soon.

Hey MJF, what's PFD? I hate TLAs.

europa

Postby europa » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:49 pm

tuco wrote:I've been proudly showing off my bruised arm to anyone with eyes.
That's the best sort of injury, one you can brag about :D

Richard

MJF

Postby MJF » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:47 pm

tuco wrote: Hey MJF, what's PFD? I hate TLAs.
"Pissed - Fell Down".

tuco

Postby tuco » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:54 pm

MJF wrote:
"Pissed - Fell Down".
With you now. The only pissing was down with rain.

The pedal left a lovely bright 30cm scratch in the slim on the path.

I should note it's a road bike with slick tyres, far from ideal for the conditions but I like to live dangerously.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:39 pm

MJF wrote:
"Pissed - Fell Down".
There I was having a few quiet drinks with my mates when suddenly the ground jumped up and hit me.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

europa

Postby europa » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:10 pm

It does that. Makes you wonder about this gravity stuff :lol:

Richard

McPete

Postby McPete » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:49 pm

It does the same to model airplanes... you have to be pretty quick to dodge it.

Nasty one there Tuco, I've not gone ass-over-teakettle just yet, my worst so far has been bottoming out a pedal on a tight corner and having the bike skid sideways and smack into my inner thigh with about 10 people standing about. That hurt on several levels.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:48 pm

Glad to hear you're OK Tuco. Don't forget photos, it's nice to have something to back up tomorrows exaggerations :wink:

I hope your scoot's OK too :)

tuco

Postby tuco » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:48 am

Mulger bill wrote:Glad to hear you're OK Tuco. Don't forget photos, it's nice to have something to back up tomorrows exaggerations :wink:

I hope your scoot's OK too :)
Bike pulled through better than me! It's fine.
Ask and you shall receive.

These were taken PA (Pre Accident). That's me half wet surveying the after affects of 700mm of rain.
Not bad for a river which doesn't flow 355 days a year.
There's a yellow buoy. It had a sign on it "Danger Weir Ahead." Yer, like 1 metre ahead. I think it used to be up stream to warn the water ski boats but got washed down stream and is caught in the back wash.
Yet another weir.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:02 am

That's the stuff :D

Keep trying to land on your arms, I'm sure we've all seen one too many of the battered and bruised buttock framed in tattered lycra sort of photos :P

pospete

Postby pospete » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:08 am

Nothing like a bit of gravel rash! It's the dripping variety that scares me tho. Mind you I'm still waiting to see my 1st snake.

MJF

Postby MJF » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:18 am

You haven't lived until you've gone in face first...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:33 am

MJF wrote:You haven't lived until you've gone in face first...
Never did find the helmet visor, still got skin on the paws thankfully.

cludence

Postby cludence » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:56 am

I've doen the face first. Only recently. Still waiting for bruise to go away. Cursed myself by saying a few days prior that I had never fallen. Murphy's Law got me there! Was embarassing as there were witnesses!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:02 am

The only time witnesses are absent is when you've just done something so truly wondrous, nobody, not even yourself would believe you without someone else to say "Yeah, I saw it all."

cludence

Postby cludence » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:06 am

Bad thing was I had almost fallen twice just beforehand which made it worse. Kindof looked like a blonde who had never ridden a bike!

pospete

Postby pospete » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:37 am

At lesat us off roaders can find nice soft land to fall on, and snakes and spiders. You roadies get to fall on the hard stuff, I imagine it's like falling on a giant cheese grater! Back in Europe I was often appalled at friends injuries from the road rash, turns my stomach over every time, and it ruins the lycra too.

MJF

Postby MJF » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:49 am

It was a roadie incident, but it was into tanbark. No helmet either... the things you do when you are 15.

I had an awesome stack about five years later (with helmet this time). I had just overtaken someone into a roundabout (you find a few in Canberra), and realised I was going too fast to make it around. The bike was understeering into the kerb on the exit, so I tried to stand the bike up and brake. Next thing I know, I'm running along the road, sans bike. The rear wheel had locked and the bike had spat out from under me and hit the kerb, and I had come down on my feet running. The only injury I had was a bruise on the inside of my knee where I'd hit the frame as it went down - and the bike had a buckled rear wheel.
Last edited by MJF on Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pospete

Postby pospete » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:52 am

You would have loved my home town back in UK, had more do nuts than a donut shop! Thats the thing with the UK, they like donuts!!!.

kslim

Postby kslim » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:49 pm

Out of interest - how often do people fall off their bikes?

For the record, I've come off 3 times in the last 12 months - twice over the handlebars, once round a corner. Broken 2 helmets (cracked right through). Concussion only once though.

Is this more than average?

pospete

Postby pospete » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:39 pm

I hav'nt fallen yet, tho I've only had the bike a week and been on 4 rides. I am dreading it tho. I bleed too easily, so any blood spillage for me will mean time in Hosp. Have you spilt blood?
Talk to the hand