Embarrassing Jerseys

jimsheedy

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby jimsheedy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:55 pm

I honestly think amateurs wearing pro team race kit a bigger detriment to cycling PR than occasionally riding through a red light

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:34 pm

jimsheedy wrote:I honestly think amateurs wearing pro team race kit a bigger detriment to cycling PR than occasionally riding through a red light
Wow!!!

Now I have heard everything........

So because I choose to wear a greenEdge jersey or a BMC jersey that is worse for pr of cycling than if I was to ride through red lights.

Please explain...........

As I heard some one say once.

Cheers

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:08 pm

Wow..........just how much damage could I do by wearing my GreenEDGE jersey and bibnicks AND then ride through a red light as well.

The mind boggles ........... I could not only destroy the reputation of the GreenEDGE team, but also set back cycling in general 10 years of hard fought PR reputation.

Bugger I think I will go back to bed, I can’t handle this much responsibility.

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:53 pm

It's one of the most common points or put downs or negative queries if you will the haters make.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:50 pm

jimsheedy wrote:It's one of the most common points or put downs or negative queries if you will the haters make.
Mate, as far as I’m concerned the haters can go and get stuffed.............you can do everything right and behave as a little angel, and the bike haters will still find something to whine about anyway.

We keep on about getting more bums on bike seats, so why should any cyclist care about what any other cyclist is wearing, AS LONG AS THEY ARE RIDING A BIKE EVERYTHING IS GOOD.

Walastik

Postby Walastik » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:10 pm

jimsheedy wrote:I honestly think amateurs wearing pro team race kit a bigger detriment to cycling PR than occasionally riding through a red light
I hope this is sarcasm because....wow. just wow.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:05 pm

I won't wear a pro kit but have nothing against anyone who does.
Actually I do have a Rock Racing jersey (they were awsome out casts and bad asses) :)
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:07 pm

And in other news today, "The Rules" are in fact, not rules at all...they are a bunch of jokey guidelines (except for Rule 5 and Rule 9, which are completely serious).

If you feel that you shouldn't wear a jersey of a particular type, for whatever reason, you shouldn't wear that jersey.

If other people want to wear jerseys that you won't wear...smile and wave boys, smile and wave!

This piece of philosophy brought to you by Madagascar...currently showing on 7. :D
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:45 pm

Walastik wrote:
I hope this is sarcasm because....wow. just wow.
Totally serious. I'm not saying I agree or endorse that or have the same feelings. It's an observation. When talking with people or reading or listening to opinions in the media - social and mainstream, This is one of the first points of anti cycling thought. I agree that people should wear what they want. I personally eschew corporate and team branding, always have. I am a life long surfer and have never been seduced by the allure of corporate logos or surf brands except for maybe when I was a young kid.

Of course it comes down to personal taste and freedom of choice. As I often with years of riding and road knowledge make a valued and informed judgement and when I feel it is safe for others as well as myself to do so will ride through a red light. I think a campaign by cyclists to demonise me for doing so because of what other road users may think holds about as much weight as what those same road users may think of my attire.

roller

Postby roller » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:45 pm

JustJames wrote:And in other news today, "The Rules" are in fact, not rules at all...they are a bunch of jokey guidelines (except for Rule 5 and Rule 9, which are completely serious).

If you feel that you shouldn't wear a jersey of a particular type, for whatever reason, you shouldn't wear that jersey.

If other people want to wear jerseys that you won't wear...smile and wave boys, smile and wave!

This piece of philosophy brought to you by Madagascar...currently showing on 7. :D
exactly, 100%

if you have a problem with what someone is wearing, realise it's your problem, not theirs.
inflammatory statement or idea

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:49 pm

JustJames wrote:And in other news today, "The Rules" are in fact, not rules at all...they are a bunch of jokey guidelines (except for Rule 5 and Rule 9, which are completely serious).

Thank you.

End of argument, really :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Semar

Postby Semar » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:11 pm

The topic is embarrassing jerseys. Whilst we quibble about taste and even certain privileges associated with jerseys, non-cyclists think we are all a wee bit foolish for wearing lycra at all.

Some time ago I saw a bloke with a really big gut decked out in Giant gear. Good on him for getting on his bike!

I wear jerseys with lots of red to be seen on country roads. :wink:
It’s more like our thoughts are thinking us than we are thinking them.

RobM

Postby RobM » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:41 pm

jimsheedy wrote:...Of course it comes down to personal taste and freedom of choice. As I often with years of riding and road knowledge make a valued and informed judgement and when I feel it is safe for others as well as myself to do so will ride through a red light. I think a campaign by cyclists to demonise me for doing so because of what other road users may think holds about as much weight as what those same road users may think of my attire.
Except that running red lights with any vehicle is illegal. (Wearing particular clothes or jerseys, is not.)

Thats why its frowned upon.

munga

Postby munga » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:50 am

i was reading a blog the other day, and that days topic was about team jerseys and their association to doping and disrepute etc.
if you wanted to, you could make an argument for or against the wearing of almost every type or style of jersey.
personally i don't care what anyone wears, but i can appreciate others' viewpoints too.

Retro man

Postby Retro man » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:00 am

I don't play for Collingwood but I still wear their jumper, because they are my team and I support them. I would not wear a Yellow, green or polkadot jersey or a world champion jersey because I feel it should be only worn by those that earn it, it is a symbol of achievment. Be a bit like walking down to the local shops with copies of Mark Spitz's Olympic gold medals hanging around my neck.
If you are only wearing team kit as a supporter of the said team I don't see a problem with it.
Gitane Criterium. Puch mistral SE. Manhattan Flyer.

DW260

Postby DW260 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:57 am

I've got a few jerseys, one of which is a "Frosties" jersey, brought from Foska, the other is Boston Bruins ice hockey replica, and the other is a Tarin Kowt Cycling Club (TKCC) jersey.

I personally don't care much for taboo's and don't give a toss what cycling apparel people choose to wear. To be honest I'm usually struggling for breath to even bother noticing what attire people are in. Just as long as you aren't naked I'm happy :)

I wear the Kellogs Frosties purely because it takes me back to my sugar enriched childhood, Bruins jersey because I love the city of Boston, and TKCC because I'm a veteran and choose to show my support for legacy. I find they are all great conversation starters at the local coffee spot.

If peeps want to wear KOM jerseys, good stuff! At least it will increase your chances of being seen on the roads. But please don't liken wearing winners jerseys with with dressing up as Sailors, Soldiers or Airmen. Dressing like Cadel isn't illegal, but dressing as a serviceman is and will see you incredibly embarrassed, if not a little black-and-blue, come ANZAC day.
Merida 907e Reacto. Fast and comfortable.
Giant XTC 2 29er
Malvern Star Oppy A4

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:37 am

jimsheedy wrote:
Totally serious. I'm not saying I agree or endorse that or have the same feelings. It's an observation. When talking with people or reading or listening to opinions in the media - social and mainstream, This is one of the first points of anti cycling thought. I agree that people should wear what they want.
Thats not much of an argument or even a considered observation. As has been pointed out anti cycling people will complain about cyclists whatever they wear. They have dared to venture onto the complainants personal road space :evil: and for that they must be punished. Cyclists wearing team jerseys are just sports fans displaying their allegiances.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:28 pm

DW260 wrote:...and the other is a Tarin Kowt Cycling Club (TKCC) jersey.
THAT is awesome! Shame I couldn't wear it if it was still available, I'm never gonna earn those stripes. :(

Huge cheers to all peeps who have earned them, I owe each and every one of you multiple beers. :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:09 pm

Can't help thinking that many people keep on denying Jim's point about logo-emblazoned kit, without actually proving that it is wrong.

Can't agree with those who say "haters will hate".... if it is as simple as that then every group may as well enrage and incite every other group without care or reason because nothing will change. Surely we all know that in reality action does equal reaction. Group A can wear something that annoys Group B and therefore causes more aggro, right or wrong.

People can dislike cyclists because of the kit we wear. Whether that is a good reaction or not is completely irrelevant to Jim's point, but personally I tend to think that his point is reasonable in that the logo-emblazoned lycra look is something that generates an anti-cyclist feeling in SOME (not all) people. The fact that is should NOT do so is irrelevant in some ways.

Re "Dressing like Cadel isn't illegal, but dressing as a serviceman is and will see you incredibly embarrassed, if not a little black-and-blue, come ANZAC day."

Apart from the illegality, what's the difference? If cyclist X can honour Team Sky (with whom they have zero connection apart from fandom) by wearing their uniform, why can't cyclist Y honour relatives and friends who served (with whom they have very strong connections) by wearing a service uniform? I'm not saying that either is wrong, and I would not do either, but from some angles (NOT the emotive ones but the logical ones) it's hard to see a difference.

The fact that this is a cultural thing seems to be shown by the fact that in my other sports, wearing kit from a team or event of which you were not part of is basically completely unknown and would get you laughed out of any club. Since that sport is as large (in some ways) as cycling and the people in it are at least as smart, the difference seems to underline that this is not something that is open to logic and is really cultural.

BTW I went racing today and bought a skinsuit complete with WC stripes that fits my wife (who rides and has started to race) from a cycling legend, and had it signed, so we are currently facing the "can this be worn" issue personally!
Last edited by Chris249 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

flow.rider

Postby flow.rider » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:11 pm

I saw a rider in a Sky team jersey today. I think he looked pretty cool. I might get one.

munga

Postby munga » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:01 pm

Chris249 wrote:If cyclist X can honour Team Sky (with whom they have zero connection apart from fandom) by wearing their uniform, why can't cyclist Y honour relatives and friends who served (with whom they have very strong connections) by wearing a service uniform? I'm not saying that either is wrong, and I would not do either, but from some angles (NOT the emotive ones but the logical ones) it's hard to see a difference.
unless i misinterpreted your point, i think the main difference is one is impersonating someone who pledged their lives to serve our country, and one is impersonating someone who rides a bike really really well.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:09 pm

RonK wrote:I passed the world champion(apparently) out on the road recently - bad form I reckon. It's not something I'd bother to comment to the wearer about (unless I knew him), but the thought that immediately came to mind rhymes with anchor.
Banker? :ugeek:
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

DW260

Postby DW260 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:23 am

Chris249 wrote:
Re "Dressing like Cadel isn't illegal, but dressing as a serviceman is and will see you incredibly embarrassed, if not a little black-and-blue, come ANZAC day."

Apart from the illegality, what's the difference? If cyclist X can honour Team Sky (with whom they have zero connection apart from fandom) by wearing their uniform, why can't cyclist Y honour relatives and friends who served (with whom they have very strong connections) by wearing a service uniform? I'm not saying that either is wrong, and I would not do either, but from some angles (NOT the emotive ones but the logical ones) it's hard to see a difference.
I can see the point you are trying to make, an on some counts it represents a valid argument. Sadly the people who do choose to wear military clothing, generally only do so to further their own interests. Whether it is to further their standing in the community, fraudulently claim pensions or health benefits, their desire to wear the uniform is the antithesis of respect.

I guess it just depends on the pretence of why you are wearing it. If my partner ever goes through chemotherapy again - I will go bald to show support and respect. But I'd never be low enough to try and pass myself off as a cancer sufferer.

Emotively or logically, morally or ethically, legal or illegal - reasonable people will know the difference.
Giant XTC 2 29er
Malvern Star Oppy A4

DW260

Postby DW260 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:29 am

Mulger bill wrote:
THAT is awesome! Shame I couldn't wear it if it was still available, I'm never gonna earn those stripes. :(

Huge cheers to all peeps who have earned them, I owe each and every one of you multiple beers. :D
Cheers mate. They were available for anyone to purchase and if I remember correctly a percentage of the profits went to legacy. They were made by champ-sys and if they ever do a re-run, I would encourage you to get one.
Giant XTC 2 29er
Malvern Star Oppy A4

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:52 am

DW260 wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:

Cheers mate. They were available for anyone to purchase and if I remember correctly a percentage of the profits went to legacy. They were made by champ-sys and if they ever do a re-run, I would encourage you to get one.
Thanks DW, now I've had a good look and seen the logo on the right breast and the "LWF" on the back, I do hope another run happens. I'll be first in line.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011