reversing worn chainrings

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

reversing worn chainrings

Postby jules21 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:53 pm

can you reverse chainrings?

i'm building a bike up out of old spares which i intend to give to my brother for a xmas pressie and am looking at whether to buy a new crankset or whether i can get away with reversing the worn rings on an old crankset.

so far i've discovered that:
1. the mounting points and teeth are not in the same plane, so when you reverse a chainring, the spacing between the next one (this is a triple chainring) goes out of kilter. i'm thinking maybe i can pack it out with a thin washer?
2. there is a pin on the outer face of the outer chainring, which seems to stop the crank arm from fouling the chain ring (can't see that happening though?) when i reverse the chainring, the pin is then on the inside and would block gear shifts between middle and outer ring. solution - 30 secs. on bench grinder
3. the chainrings have 'profile shifting' ramps or whatever shimano calls them, presumably to smoothen shifts between chainrings. reversing them would mean losing the benefit of those - no big deal i'm thinking?

has anyone else tried this? spare chainrings are not that cheap and my brother isn't about to enter the Tour de France so i thought i'd save a buck.
jules21

by BNA » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:00 pm

BNA

Re: reversing worn chainrings

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:00 pm

The pin on the outside of the big ring is to stop the chain jamming under the crank on an over-shift. I managed to overshift somehow this week, with a car up my clacker. I'm very glad the pin was in the right spot. :D

I'm not sure I'd contemplate the idea. Maybe upgrade yours now and give him your hand-me-downs :idea:

On the other hand, if you really don't like your brother ... go for it ;)
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby jules21 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:05 pm

trailgumby wrote: The pin on the outside of the big ring is to stop the chain jamming under the crank on an over-shift. I managed to overshift somehow this week, with a car up my clacker. I'm very glad the pin was in the right spot. :D

so it is.. oh well, his problem ;)

trailgumby wrote: I'm not sure I'd contemplate the idea. Maybe upgrade yours now and give him your hand-me-downs :idea:

mine's pretty new Deore. this is my commuter bike so i don't really do upgrades, it's too expensive to put quality bits on it, as i wear them out pretty quickly. chainrings last ~ 1 year.

trailgumby wrote: On the other hand, if you really don't like your brother ... go for it ;)

could be funny :)

i've still got a bit of time to play around before i hand it over.
jules21

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:14 pm

Maybe just stick a matching worn chain on it?
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby jules21 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:16 pm

trailgumby wrote:Maybe just stick a matching worn chain on it?

i replace my chainsets when they will not transmit any decent torque anymore, with a worn chain. they're pretty useless by that stage - they just slip.
jules21

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:17 pm

Plus the rings are recessed for the ummmmmmm I can't remember the correct name for them :oops: but the bolts that hold them in place!

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby Oxford » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:26 pm

short answer - No
long answer - No

unless you're SSing the bike or going 1x??, even then, the profile of the teeth will cause problems.
Life is not about waiting for the rain to pass.....it's about learning to dance (or ride) in the rain.
- anonymous
Oxford

Postby il padrone » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:06 pm

Yes, if you're running Rohloff, Alfine or SS and you have a Thorn chainring (designed for reversability - no ramps or pins, and the ring is symetrical side to side)

Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Mark Kelly » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:53 pm

Don't cut the chain drop pin off, drill it out from the other side with a 2.5mm drill. You can then tap it to M3 and install it on the other side of the ring. To keep it clean, use a countersunk screw.

I did this when I was fitting new 10 speed rings to an old C-Record crankset and didn't want to pay Record prices. The C-record cranks' arm position differs from the usual crankset so the pin ended up 36 degrees out of kilter.
Mark Kelly

Postby rkelsen » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:39 am

You probably shouldn't reverse alloy chain rings.

When the current one on my 1x8 setup wears out, I'm going to replace it with a stainless steel one. These have a longer life, and are reversible on top of that.
rkelsen

Postby ozdavo » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:14 pm

Maybe try a WTB thread. There are plenty of guys on hear with lots of old parts. I've got a couple of old NOS Shimano 5 bolt MTB Chainrings that I'd give you for post cost if they suit.
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area
ozdavo

Postby jules21 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:37 am

ok i can confirm reversing the chainrings doesn't work :)

the chain still slips
jules21

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:52 pm

Ribble usually stocks Stronglight chainrings which are pretty cheap.

Keep your eye out though sometimes whole cranksets on sale are cheaper. I have been known to buy a crankset just for the rings before.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider

Return to The Shed