Good hill climbs in Sydney

Good hill climbs in Sydney

Postby The_Eggman » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:18 am

Lo All

Planning a sorte at Three Peaks 2013, and just wanted to get everyone's thoughts as to the best hill training ground in Sydney. Really all the climbing I do at this stage is over the top of Earlwood and the occasional run into Bronte, so I really need to find something a bit more meaty rather than short and sharp.

Cheers
Greg
The_Eggman
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:01 pm

by BNA » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:49 am

BNA
 

Re: Good hill climbs in Sydney

Postby NotFlyingScot » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:49 am

You can get in about 4000m climbing in the day on the Blue Mts escarpment without repeating or going further west than Springwood. That will set you up nicely for Three Peaks!
FPR Jubilado Bludger
User avatar
NotFlyingScot
 
Posts: 1256
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:36 pm
Location: Kings Langley

Re: Good hill climbs in Sydney

Postby Addictr3 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:51 am

This is what I do;

Start at North Sydney ride up to West Head, come back through Akuna bay, onto Bobbin Head out to Galston Gorge up Berrowa Waters onto Brooklyn, over Mt White keep going to Calga onto Petes Ridge and turn around and ride back :-)
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.
User avatar
Addictr3
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: Manly, Sydney

Re: Good hill climbs in Sydney

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:57 am

In addition to those, hit RNP
A helmet saved my life
User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 14813
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney

Re: Good hill climbs in Sydney

Postby vander » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:05 am

Up north the georges - Galston George ( http://app.strava.com/segments/612671 , http://app.strava.com/segments/612616 ), Berowra ( http://app.strava.com/segments/381837 , http://app.strava.com/segments/610367 ), Mt White(Full http://app.strava.com/segments/632514 , climb http://app.strava.com/segments/612668 ), Brooklyn ( http://app.strava.com/segments/612665 ) and Bobbin ( http://app.strava.com/segments/612442 , http://app.strava.com/segments/381839 )
Also Akuna ( http://app.strava.com/segments/631407 , http://app.strava.com/segments/381841 )

Out West - Springwood ( http://app.strava.com/segments/611528 Then http://app.strava.com/segments/815811 , from the other side http://app.strava.com/segments/611545 ), Bowen Mountain (Full http://app.strava.com/segments/631456 , Last Struggle http://app.strava.com/segments/631449 ), Kurrajong ( http://app.strava.com/segments/631450 )

Southwest - Razorback ( http://app.strava.com/segments/620189 ), Silverdale isnt bad either ( http://app.strava.com/segments/654068 )

South - RNP - (My Fav http://app.strava.com/segments/630871 , http://app.strava.com/segments/610062 , http://app.strava.com/segments/626541 , http://app.strava.com/segments/630879 , http://app.strava.com/segments/610206 , http://app.strava.com/segments/931157 , http://app.strava.com/segments/850484 ) I have through both directions through it in together to save time.
Otford (havent done it yet) - http://app.strava.com/segments/694218

That is most the reasonable hills around sydney. Most arent really long enough for 3 peaks so just do repeats.
Image
vander
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:35 am
Location: North Strathfield, NSW

Re: Good hill climbs in Sydney

Postby aeroslave » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:55 pm

Yeah I agree. Do the three peaks via - Kurrajong/Bellbird then Bowen Mountain then Springwood/Hawkesbury Lookout - traverse to Sprngwood then head to Katoomba. Have lunch then do the reverse if you are still alive.

cheers!
User avatar
aeroslave
 
Posts: 1783
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:04 am

Re: Good hill climbs in Sydney

Postby JV911 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:41 am

from Earlwood, i'd be doing RNP
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

User avatar
JV911
 
Posts: 5451
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:22 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Good hill climbs in Sydney

Postby number21 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:55 am

vander wrote:Otford (havent done it yet) - <a href="http://app.strava.com/segments/694218" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" title="Link added by VigLink" class="vglnk">http://app.strava.com/segments/694218</a>


I found the Otford wall to be great prep for the first 2-3kms of the back-o-falls. Just remember at 3 peaks you'll have 200+kms in your legs by the time you get there though.
User avatar
number21
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:25 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Good hill climbs in Sydney

Postby gautamap » Mon May 14, 2012 7:30 pm

Addictr3 wrote:This is what I do;

Start at North Sydney ride up to West Head, come back through Akuna bay, onto Bobbin Head out to Galston Gorge up Berrowa Waters onto Brooklyn, over Mt White keep going to Calga onto Petes Ridge and turn around and ride back :-)


is the hill is harder from West Head through Akuna Bay? I never try that route, might try this week
gautamap
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:12 pm

Re: Good hill climbs in Sydney

Postby JV911 » Tue May 15, 2012 11:47 am

gautamap wrote:is the hill is harder from West Head through Akuna Bay?


yep a bit, there is one section in particular that steeper
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

User avatar
JV911
 
Posts: 5451
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:22 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Good hill climbs in Sydney

Postby jrig9463 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:40 am

Do any of these climbs or other road climbs around sydney have a decent road shoulder e.g 1 metre for cyclists. I don't trust single or narrow lanes for rides. I went to Uni with a guy that was permanently disfigured (i.e. legs reshaped at very unusual angles) and had to walk with two canes (at a very slow pace) from being sucked under a semi trailer. It was either the canes and have everyone staring at you, or a wheelchair. (He got used to people staring at him)
jrig9463
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:29 am

Re: Good hill climbs in Sydney

Postby joomz » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:09 pm

Bumble hill is meant to be a good climb too : http://app.strava.com/segments/633814 (there's an Audax ride this weekend that's going through Bumble, planning on doing that one)
And Wiseman's Ferry : http://app.strava.com/segments/1227470

This Audax ride includes more than 4k of climbing
http://app.strava.com/rides/21211116
joomz
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:07 am

Re: Good hill climbs in Sydney

Postby queequeg » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:47 pm

jrig9463 wrote:Do any of these climbs or other road climbs around sydney have a decent road shoulder e.g 1 metre for cyclists. I don't trust single or narrow lanes for rides. I went to Uni with a guy that was permanently disfigured (i.e. legs reshaped at very unusual angles) and had to walk with two canes (at a very slow pace) from being sucked under a semi trailer. It was either the canes and have everyone staring at you, or a wheelchair. (He got used to people staring at him)


You are not going to get any Semi-Trailers on most of these climbs. The terrain is not suitable for them to negotiate, especially places like Galston Gorge with hairpin turns (though this does not seem to stop certain low IQ drivers from trying anyway, despite all the signage & cameras)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 2858
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

Re: Good hill climbs in Sydney

Postby joomz » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:52 am

Discovered some killer climbs around the Illawarra escarpment yesterday. Macquarie pass, berry, cambewarra and barrengarry mountains: app.strava.com/rides/23441949
Long and steep
joomz
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:07 am

Re: Good hill climbs in Sydney

Postby Chuck » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:23 pm

joomz wrote:Discovered some killer climbs around the Illawarra escarpment yesterday. Macquarie pass, berry, cambewarra and barrengarry mountains: app.strava.com/rides/23441949
Long and steep


Very very impressive ride joomz 8)
Image
FPR Ragamuffin
User avatar
Chuck
 
Posts: 4216
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:19 pm
Location: Hiding in the bunch

Re: Good hill climbs in Sydney

Postby TimW » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:31 pm

Chuck wrote:
joomz wrote:Discovered some killer climbs around the Illawarra escarpment yesterday. Macquarie pass, berry, cambewarra and barrengarry mountains: app.strava.com/rides/23441949
Long and steep


Very very impressive ride joomz 8)

+1
:shock: :shock:
Image
User avatar
TimW
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Near the M7C

Re: Good hill climbs in Sydney

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:23 pm

JV911 wrote:
gautamap wrote:is the hill is harder from West Head through Akuna Bay?


yep a bit, there is one section in particular that steeper


Don't forget to turn off to cottage point, lovely ride out there with nearly zero traffic and some nice steep bits.
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14382
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: Good hill climbs in Sydney

Postby biker jk » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:18 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
JV911 wrote:
gautamap wrote:is the hill is harder from West Head through Akuna Bay?


yep a bit, there is one section in particular that steeper


Don't forget to turn off to cottage point, lovely ride out there with nearly zero traffic and some nice steep bits.


Yes, certainly steep (20% coming out of Cottage Pt) but certainly not nice. :x
User avatar
biker jk
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Good hill climbs in Sydney

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:41 pm

Enjoy it :-)
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14382
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!


Return to New South Wales

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit