Upgrade mech disc to hydraulic brakes

mattwilkinson

Upgrade mech disc to hydraulic brakes

Postby mattwilkinson » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:16 pm

Hey guys,

I'm fed up with my Avid BB5's.
They rub continously, and if i loosen them up until they dont rub anymore when i put the brakes on they don't do ***. I can ride with them fully on.

I think i'm going to upgrade to hydraulic discs. But i'm not a great bike mechanic so I have a few questions.

1. If i upgrade mech to hydraulic will i need to replace the cables/levers
2. Will the brakes come with a new lever or how do i install a new lever/cable? Can i leave my existing shifters?
3. Do you they use hydraulic liquid and do you have to top them up?

Sorry, I'm a minor and not a great mechanic and cannot find a video. Would it cost much to get a bike shop to change it over?

Also, I might take my Avid discs off my wheels to replace them but they seem to be stuck on. I cannot get them off with an allen key, Can i use grease or oil to get them off? what do you recommend. thanks

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Upgrade mech disc to hydraulic brakes

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:31 pm

You'll typically find that calliper, hose and lever come as a single pre bled unit, you might have to get creative with how you secure the hose to the frame but that's why cable ties were invented.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:45 pm

Low end shifters with cable brakes (V or disc) often come in a combined unit. If yours are combined then you;'ll need new shifters to upgrade to hydraulics. Not a difficult job, shouldn't cost much at LBS.

Discs are often installed with a torx bolt, kindof star shaped allen key, and usually have loctite as well to stop them coming undone. Make sure you are using the correct bit to remove them.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:02 pm

Many folk think that the Avid cable discs are more than adequate.

How about instead of throwing money at it you make them work properly first. Warped discs can be trued, the positioning and the angle of the pads can be adjusted etc. I expect that there are hours of videos on youtube etc.

The expense of brakes and levers (and possibly shifters as well) is considerable and may not be necessary.

Cheers,

Cameron.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:48 pm

hi wrote:Hey guys,

I'm fed up with my Avid BB5's.
They rub continously, and if i loosen them up until they dont rub anymore when i put the brakes on they don't do ***. I can ride with them fully on.

I think i'm going to upgrade to hydraulic discs. But i'm not a great bike mechanic so I have a few questions.

1. If i upgrade mech to hydraulic will i need to replace the cables/levers
2. Will the brakes come with a new lever or how do i install a new lever/cable? Can i leave my existing shifters?
3. Do you they use hydraulic liquid and do you have to top them up?

Sorry, I'm a minor and not a great mechanic and cannot find a video. Would it cost much to get a bike shop to change it over?

Also, I might take my Avid discs off my wheels to replace them but they seem to be stuck on. I cannot get them off with an allen key, Can i use grease or oil to get them off? what do you recommend. thanks
Sounds like you've got warped rotors which can be generally be straightened easily. Most likely nothing to do with your calipers, mechanical calipers are FAR easier to adjust to avoid rub than hydraulic ones.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:03 pm

Yeah if i can get my rotors off i might buy these to replace them.

If i post a pic of how they're bolted on can you guys tell me which tool to use?

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:34 am

hi wrote:Yeah if i can get my rotors off i might buy these to replace them.

If i post a pic of how they're bolted on can you guys tell me which tool to use?

You'll need a Torx fitting (T20 or T25? Can't remember which)...virtually every bike mini tool comes with one. Otherwise a trip to the nearest hardware or engineering tool shop will provide you with what you need for only a few dollars. Don't forget the Loctite threadlocker whilst you are at it.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

cobba

Postby cobba » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:28 pm