Gear explanation for newbie

g-boaf

Re: Gear explanation for newbie

Postby g-boaf » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:58 am

fionahills wrote:Thanks again - I managed to keep the cadence at 91 average on the 3km long slow hill - the speed was pretty poor - only 11.5km going up - but heaps of fun going down - anyway was not able to hold the 91 on second repeat all the way up so kept going as long as I could at the 91 and then rolled down and tried again and went a bit further - the thing is to hold the cadence I had to be on the easiest gear - is this OK for now?

I did try to go up a gear for the shorter repeats - but could not hold the cadence - I really appreciate the help and will try for the 100 as ultimate goal but for now is it OK to work at 90 and try and improve stamina? Both on hills and flats?

I got the bike fitted when I bought it - that was 16 months ago - i had a really close call with a car and lost my nerve after 3 months and have only been back on for about 6 weeks.

As I honestly never had a bike as a kid I really had probably only riddent 6 or 7 times until I hit 50 - never even sat on a road bike before I got mine - so has been a steep learning curve - gears, clipless, skinny tyres, knicks and jerseys- ( I used to call them liquorice allsorts when I saw the groups out riding - love the colours!!)
Still have to stop to have a drink - and be very careful not to move around too much when looking behind me - so much still to learn.....

I really do appreciate all your help - everyone has been very encouraging - the road we were on today is part on the noosa triatholon course and closed to traffic - so much fun to zoom (my zoom is very tame!!) down without worrying about cars - loved it
thanks again

fiona
100 is a good cadence to aim for. I don't normally do that high, I sit on about 85-90rpm most of the time. Like some others, I prefer to drop down a gear when I hit a headwind, and on hills I much prefer to spin rather than mashing away at a bigger gear. I find that isn't comfortable and it tires me out quicker.

I didn't ride a bike for ages like you - it's a big learning curve but the more you ride, the better it is and the easier it becomes. I'm still not confident enough to ride with no hands on the bars, though one handed is alright. Drinking on the run stems from feeling confident and balanced riding one handed, along with having a good bidon cage and a bidon that is easy to grab and put back. I think a good bike fit helps a lot there. And you should have a light touch on the handlebars this probably comes from core strength.

It's really fun when you can get on a close course with no distractions. It's also really fun to ride with other people, especially better riders, they'll force you to get better and you can learn a lot quickly from them. Plus the conversation makes the kilometres go more quickly. I don't really do any group rides, but occasionally I chat to other people out and about, some who are really good riders. It's nice when you can keep up a conversation without feeling puffed. I think that's part of the 'rules' or something, always look calm and effortless to others even if you are hurting. :lol:

Out of all the fitness pursuits you could have chosen, I think cycling must be the best one of all. What a wonderful sport it is. 8)

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:02 pm

Thank you So Much

Did three repeats of the "hill" today!!! Yipee - have figured it out -spin it out - barely staying in double figures kph but cadence is ok 85 to 90 average- no gears left and this is only 5 to 6% - but it is a steady 3 km up and for me a huge achievement -
I could barely get over Maroochy Bridge two weeks ago -
It is all thanks to all of you who took the time to provide advice to an 'old newbie' - I'm happy in my clipless, and loving the sense of accomplishment - small steps but I feel like with enough time and effort that I will keep improving and have a great new sport to participate in.

I'm going to build up some stamina and keep putting in the miles and when I can keep up a reasonable speed over 40 km will get some coaching so I don't get too many bad habits - (its a horseriding thing - we totally rely on coaching and doing something without getting yelled at constantly seems very odd!!!)

thanks again to you all - brilliant people -fiona

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:09 pm

And you are an excellent student Fiona
AA+. Top of the class :)
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:58 pm

RonK wrote:And you are an excellent student Fiona
AA+. Top of the class :)
Stop it Ron, you're going to undo all of the good we've done so far. Didn't you read that Fiona's a horse person. They're different, she said so herself, they need to be yelled at. Don't worry, I'll try and save the situation...

Come on Fiona, you're moving in the right direction, but is that the best you can do? Come on now, I'm sure you can do better. Don't quit now! :lol:
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:05 am

James - you have missed your calling - just adopt a slight european accent and there are heaps of old women out there that will pay lots of money to be yelled at while riding around on very expensive horses.

you are right.. horse riders are very different....and for some reason there seem to be quite a few of us that have left the horses alone after torturing our families for years and taken up bikes -especially old dressage riders.. i suspect there is some OCD at work - if we are going to do something it has to be done right - even if its for no other reason than getting a bit better every time we do it.. god forbid we have a 'bad' training day - its the end of the world.....and today was a bit dismal - so I had to have an icecream.

Your approach is spot on - I will do better - I will work harder, I will not eat any icecream, and I will get out of the granny gear. and I will not lie in the back of the truck complaining that I am going to die I will do all this and more...soon.... i promise

fiona

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:29 pm

fionahills wrote:James - you have missed your calling - just adopt a slight european accent and there are heaps of old women out there that will pay lots of money to be yelled at while riding around on very expensive horses.

you are right.. horse riders are very different....and for some reason there seem to be quite a few of us that have left the horses alone after torturing our families for years and taken up bikes -especially old dressage riders.. i suspect there is some OCD at work - if we are going to do something it has to be done right - even if its for no other reason than getting a bit better every time we do it.. god forbid we have a 'bad' training day - its the end of the world.....and today was a bit dismal - so I had to have an icecream.

Your approach is spot on - I will do better - I will work harder, I will not eat any icecream, and I will get out of the granny gear. and I will not lie in the back of the truck complaining that I am going to die I will do all this and more...soon.... i promise

fiona
Gee, I have a Cherman surname, so I'm off to a good start. I thought I'd found my new calling until you mentioned horses. Pfffft. Bad handling, dodgey suspension and worse brakes.

Ice cream is good. I may be undoing all my own good work but the real approach to adopt is this:

If it ain't fun, it ain't on!
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:50 pm

Great day - am enjoying using the gears properly and the emphasis on cadence helps so much- still on mid range gear on the back cassette, small ring on the front but with 95 av cadence am getting an average of 23kph over 30 kms and that included the little steep bits in Coolum- and I could have gone on, legs felt great and happily chatted but was worried I would get rained on - I know very sooky - but very big steps for me.

even kept up with hubby for a while and we sat on a very nice 28-30kph for about 5kms - felt awesome - very speedy for me!! - couldn't hold the cadence for any longer in the harder gear so fell off the back = but never mind better than before.

Such a good day did not need icecream but did have a great coffee and cake at the end!! thanks so much everyone....

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:10 pm

Well done Fiona, you're going great guns now.

As for the bigger gears, that will come with time and more leg strength but also don'tbe afraid to sit on a slightly bigger gear at a slightly lower cadence (say 80 rpm)...if this means you can hold a faster pace for a while longer.

Nothing wrong with doing that and it helps build your strength. Remember, 90 rpm is only a guide and you don't "have to" religiously sit on 90 rpm all the time. It's good to change it up and pedal a bit slower (or faster when you can manage it) to give your cardio or legs a break....and when you fall into the groove you can sit on that for as long as you can.

Keep up the good work....

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

Sadhaka

Postby Sadhaka » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:21 pm

Thanks for a great read and lots of info!

Good luck Fiona :wink: