Post your Fixie piccies

PeteV

Re: Post your Fixie piccies

Postby PeteV » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:18 pm

Nice one, I really like that frameset. Have only seen it as a complete bike though.

Scott1e

Postby Scott1e » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:58 pm

My current build.
It's a vintage Ishiwata champion 1.3 frame, With shimano 600 cranks, aero quill and seatpost, and a set of cheapie wheels off of ebay. Rides beautifully, lots of fun.

The hipstery stuff added is to annoy the co-workers, but even so, the stunt pegs have come in handy to tandem someone now and again.

Edit: Sorry about the size guys, Didn't realise imgur didn't make it web friendly. Again, ignore the pegs and the cards :P
Last edited by Scott1e on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:12 pm

You need to nip the size down a little, i can only see the front half. FWIW the front half looks cool :) . I've seen those 'tribal tattoo' cheap-v's on ebay, they look damn cool.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:13 pm

My eyes! The goggles do nothing...

eldrifto

Postby eldrifto » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:00 pm

New to BNA and this style of bike. Bought this last week at the tip shop on the GC for $25. I was bored and had the week off from uni so I gave it a new lease on life. Flip flop hub but riding it SS for now. Before and after shots follow.

PANZR

Postby PANZR » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:57 pm

Love it...well done!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:16 pm

Rear only braking? :?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:17 pm

Looks really neat. I made the mistake of grinding off a derailleur hanger once. Sorry to see you did as well.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:22 pm

I like it, really clean no fuss look. I would recommend having two brakes, and if you want to stick with one you're much better to have it on the front. My first SS had only a front brake and i had some slightly nervous moments with it.

Part of me agrees with dan about the hanger but single speeds look much better without them and if it means the bike actually gets used then so be it.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:27 pm

ldrcycles wrote: Part of me agrees with dan about the hanger but single speeds look much better without them and if it means the bike actually gets used then so be it.

Pffft... it's not like he's drewed a high end classic or anything. Lazy angles, barnyard clearances of a low end frame make it a prime candidate for a first timers conversion. Good work buddy. Now get a front brake, some foot retention and flip that hub to the fixed side and be a real hipster.

Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:36 pm

You're right there loch - it looks a heap neater, but there's a time and place (and frame) for everything.

That said though, it looks like a really neat effort for a (first?) build over a one week uni break. I'm giving it three and a half stars. David?.

Edit: why does iPhone autocorrect always change build to built?

Scott1e

Postby Scott1e » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:49 pm

Hey all,

On the opposite end of the spectrum to my green yellow and purple fixie, I thought i'd show you all what I threw together today, whilst sorting out my shed.

I've always kept a box of parts i'd love to put into use oneday, but haven't had the right frame, or project, so today, I decided to use as much as possible, and whatever wasn't used up will be going on sale.

Parts wise, I began with a 60cm fellini touring frame, probably mid 70's, judging from the Dura Ace setup that was originally on it. The frame is a little beat up, and the only bits left of the Dura Ace were the breaks and levers... So I decided a nice 3spd setup would be better. Using a Sachs hub from a previous build, and some nice light cranks, I threw it all togther at a total cost of $26, for the chain, and a new bottom bracket. The biggest decision was the bars. Drops or risers has always been a sticking point for me, but I think the risers work nicely. Perhaps in future with a less bombproof stem. The truvative looks a little overboard.

Other than that, A nice way to pass the day for sure =] The only thing left is to set up the shifting mechanism, which I believe i'll use a friction downtube shifter. That will keep the bars clean, and hide the cable under the frame. Also might throw some white Oury's on next week =]

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:28 pm

Scott1e wrote:...Perhaps in future with a less bombproof stem. The truvative looks a little overboard. ..
Yup, but more than a little overboard. Otherwise looks really neat.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:56 pm

Scott1e wrote: So I decided a nice 3spd setup would be better.

So technically it's neither fixed nor SS :?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:00 pm

Scott1e wrote: Image
Ooh a Fellini, i picked up one of those a little while ago, not too many of them about. IMO the stem definitely looks out of place, i reckon a black quill stem would look good.
BRLVR.v2 wrote: So technically it's neither fixed nor SS :?
I'm not seeing a cable or shift lever though, so at least atm it's a SS with coaster brake :) .

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:25 pm

I got my new fixie up and running today.

It's a Trek Earl frame with bits off my old Felt Dispatch. Running 42-16 fixed.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:40 pm

Mugglechops wrote:I got my new fixie up and running today.

Running 42-16 fixed.
Spin, Spin. It's actually a nice looking conversion to my eye. Geometry would make it a cruisy comfy ride no doubt. Trippy looking TT.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:01 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:I got my new fixie up and running today.

Running 42-16 fixed.
Spin, Spin. It's actually a nice looking conversion to my eye. Geometry would make it a cruisy comfy ride no doubt. Trippy looking TT.
Doing the Sydney to Gong on it next month so need some gearing. I have done twice before with 39-16 and spun out too much on the flat.

I think they did the top tube so you can a u lock

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:39 pm

Like. Different enough to be niiiiice.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:05 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:
Spin, Spin.
Haha, that was my first thought too, my first SS was 42-16 and that's the thing i remember most about it. I reckon 46-16 is a really good gear.

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:20 am

ldrcycles wrote:
BRLVR.v2 wrote:
Spin, Spin.
Haha, that was my first thought too, my first SS was 42-16 and that's the thing i remember most about it. I reckon 46-16 is a really good gear.
46/16 is spot on for Brisbane (for me) spin out a bit, but to still be able to hit a hill or five.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:43 pm

I have a 46 that I am going to fit after the ride from Sydney to Wollongong.

At 120kgs I need all the help I can get to get up hills :D

PeteV

Postby PeteV » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:32 pm

Spinners are winners, well done, looks good mate.

eldrifto

Postby eldrifto » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:20 pm

Thanks for the words guys, I have ridden it everyday since I built it and am enjoying it immensely.
ldrcycles wrote:I like it, really clean no fuss look. I would recommend having two brakes, and if you want to stick with one you're much better to have it on the front. My first SS had only a front brake and i had some slightly nervous moments with it.

Part of me agrees with dan about the hanger but single speeds look much better without them and if it means the bike actually gets used then so be it.
Man I don't ride over 20 km/h anyway haha. One brake is good enough for this. Yeah hacking the frame never bothered me, I saved it from being landfill and will ride it into the ground (hmmm, that analogy doesn't quite work lol) I love it.
diggerdantheman wrote: it looks like a really neat effort for a (first?) build over a one week uni break.
First build that isn't a BMX/Dragster. Loving the 'bigger' bikes already. Looking for the next candidate now, a slightly smaller frame I think ...The bikes in this thread have got me hooked.

So I don't spam the pic thread with writing here's another photo. Last one I promise...

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:35 pm

I think Shaun was alluding to the fact you've decided to brake the rear wheel, as opposed to the (mechanically superior) front wheel...
Great photo btw.