Big Day Out - rant

stryker84

Big Day Out - rant

Postby stryker84 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:15 pm

[rant]

blasted event, I live just opposite it, not only did it boom incessantly loud music (sorry, i'm not usually one for rock music) all day, wreck the traffic flow for riding, and close off the shared footpath, but riding home after church Sun night, was right at the time it finished, herds of sheep (they're too brainless to be people) walking across the road without regard for traffic, calling out drunk comments to you as you ride past.

and then the next few days, me panicking each time i go for a ride to the city, the road is like, completely littered with glass from shattered bottles. I'm now paranoid, checking my tyres each time i get off the bike.

mumble grumble grumble...

[/rant]

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:05 pm

Makes me glad I live 40k out of the CBD, you should have seen the human wreckage catching the first trains home on new years day :roll:

tuco

Postby tuco » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:45 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Makes me glad I live 40k out of the CBD, you should have seen the human wreckage catching the first trains home on new years day :roll:
We went to the fireworks along the Yarra new years eve. I must say I was impressed by the lack of loutish behaviour. The only bad thing we saw was a young guy (under age) so pissed a friend had to hold his head up. Just a shame he was sitting outside the carriage we were crammed into and had to wait 20 minutes before it left. I was hoping my kids were making a mental note of how pathetic he looked and the fact that people were pointing at him and laughing.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:23 pm

With a bit of luck, that'll scare them away from bingeing (sp) on the stuff for the rest of their lives. Fingers crossed :wink:

bda20

Postby bda20 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:57 am

I never really understand peolpe that live in the city (or very close) that complain about noise it is like the person that buys a house next door to a live music venue and then bitches and mones about the noise (read's as "get a life") till it gets shut down. oh yeah I go to big day out nearly every year and not once have they ever served drinks in a glass or bottle so you might want to find someone else to blame for that not big day out :roll:

as for the "herds of sheep (they're too brainless to be people)" I also go with friends some of which are very smart people eg uni degree's

so in short sorry that for one day of the year you got put out :shock: it's a hard life but someones got to do it!!!

MJF

Postby MJF » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:34 pm

Back in your box, bda20 - go back and read his post properly, especially re. sheep.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:18 pm

Ditto

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:28 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Ditto
What, you want to be put in a box with some sheep?

Richard

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:04 am

:lol: :lol: Good value you be, Richard. Thanks for the laugh.

Cluey

Postby Cluey » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:45 am

Well, I'm off to the Big Day Out. It is my favourite event for the year as I love music and thinks it fantastic to see such an assembly of bands...... don't worry though, I'll be sure to keep my brain switched to functioning mode even when I leave the venue tonight.... I'll also watch out for any sheep getting in the way at public transport... that could be dangerous!

I completely sympathise with those members of the public who will be inconvenienced today by way of choked up traffic, loud noise, or perhaps by the actions of one or two groups of silly people out of the thousands who will be attending, who may give this event a bad name ... I really do know how those inconvenienced people feel..... I mean... I keep recommending people cancel New Years Eve as I really find those fireworks displays completely selfish - doesn't everyone know my dog gets scared and tries to run away?!

:wink: Cluey

bda20

Postby bda20 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:09 pm

love yor work cluey you have words that are a little more suttle than me 8)

MJF

Postby MJF » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:34 am

You two should probably have a think about context.

I like my cars (I have a turbo'ed '71 240Z), and have been known to head over to Summernats, including some spectating at the burnout competition. I do not, however, appreciate having tossers doing burnouts outside my house (AT) 2.30am, leaving metal and rubber all over the road and waking my kids - which is a regular occurrence due to mates of the next door neighbors son (he claims he doesn't know who they are).

If you lived next to the "Big Day Out" venue, perhaps you would appreciate where stryker84 is coming from. It's very easy to bitch about other people intolerance when you aren't in their shoes. Subtle or not...

Cluey

Postby Cluey » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:53 am

I live three streets from the Adelaide big day out venue - is that close enough to the shoes you refer to?

Instead of as you say, it being 'easy to bitch about other people's intolerance', it seems - in your case - easier to just 'bitch' in the first place.

Incidentally, I am surprised at the posting which came about from 'riding home from church' ... in my church it is all about tolerance, love and diversity....usually thoughts fresh in my mind after having attended.....

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:16 pm

Okay kids,

Both sides have had their growl and to be honest, there's a lot of merit in both - living near a major event is never fun and a mild rant about it isn't inappropriate (and offers a certain amount of satisfaction to the ranter). On the other hand, these events have to be run somewhere and the Big Day Out series seem to be among the better run events - there are idiots in every crowd and the best organisation in the world can't control that.

Richard

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:45 pm

Okay, firstly apologies if I sounded like I was attacking all Big Day Out attenders. Was just stating a few facts.

1. That sorta rock music is not my taste, I don't really appreciate it blaring in my window all day. Nothing against people who listen to it.
2. I WAS blocked off both ON the road, then on the footpath. By people crossing in front of cars, let alone me on my bike.
3. There WERE people drinking, and yes, from glass bottles. I don't know if they bought them at venue, or from outside (I've never been to BDO), but the fact is they were drinking at the side of the road (and calling out drunken insults as we rode past) when I rode home, and there was broken bottles on the road when I rode out the next day. 2 + 2 = ?

Only people I'm annoyed with are:
1. the drunken louts,
2. people endangering both me AND themselves by disregarding traffic, and
3. people who just drop their glass on the road

If you behaved well, didn't obstruct traffic, and kept your glass bottles off the road/footpath, then hey, no quarrels with you at all. In fact, I'm pleased that you enjoyed yourselves.

Have a nice day.

matagi

Postby matagi » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:03 am

The thing about broken glass is interesting, because you can't buy glass containers at Big Day Out. Also, your bag is searched on the way in and glass containers are confiscated .... so is the glass coming from people who bring their own and hang around outside the venue getting a free concert while getting drunk?

This would also explain the "sheep" blocking the road and generally making a nuisance of themselves.

If you've paid to go to BDO, you certainly aren't going to be hanging around outside the venue - you'll be inside taking in the atmosphere. The only time you get the "flock of sheep" effect is when the concert ends and everyone departs en masse, but that is for a limited time and fairly late in the day at that.

I take it there wasn't much of a police presence outside the venue?

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:14 pm

well, yeah, this WAS late, after the concert was over. and yes, police presence, but mainly standing helplessly and shrugging their shoulders when i indicated that they were blocking traffic. fair enough too, not much even 50 cops can do if there's a horde of people just streaming across the road.
i guess they'd have stepped in had it been blocking peak hour traffic, i suppose ~10 cars and a coupla bikes, probably decided it wasn't worth risking their lives trying to hold back the mob.

as for glass, i assume yeah, either free-concerting outside, else hanging around drinking afterwards, else afterpartying and stumbling home later. meh.

but yeah, on the whole, minor issues, only for the day and part of the week following. like i said, i just felt like ranting. :P

bda20

Postby bda20 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:41 am

Ok I jumped up on my soap box really fast because I had been at work all day (and had been getting noise complaints for doing my job, I drive a excavaor) even though we had been working inside the law :evil:

so as stryker84 generalised everyone so did I.
quitting is so easy it makes success so sweet

pospete

Postby pospete » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:32 am

bda20 wrote:Ok I jumped up on my soap box really fast because I had been at work all day (and had been getting noise complaints for doing my job, I drive a excavaor) even though we had been working inside the law :evil:

so as stryker84 generalised everyone so did I.

I think we all generalise at times, but I think we all know it;s never a good idea to generalise about anyone in society. Todays oddball can become tommorrows friend and all that. here in Melb. we have event after event in the city and getting through peak time traffic can be a nightmare. Even mild mannered me can get the blues. Even cyclists have been known to ruffle a few feathers, like the guys who ignor red traffic lights on the bay road, and run people over on masse, as has happened here very recently. several times in the city I have been almost run down by cyclists ignoring traffic rules , and Melb is very cyclist friendly. I think at times people just get wrapped up in what they are doing and forget to remember there's anyone else around them.