Retro Riverloop Raturdays :D

Wal42

Re: Retro Riverloop Raturdays :D

Postby Wal42 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:30 pm

Ok, yeah maybe.

I do get 2 Sundays but I miss out on having a Monday (cue Boomtown Rats song---"The silicone ship inside her head gets switched to overload, And nobody's going to school today , She's gonna make them stay at home, And Daddy doesn't ............"), I also never get Mondayitis, so it ain't all beer & skittles you know. :lol:

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:00 pm

when and where we riding tomorrow wal?

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:11 pm

Not sure how early you want to head out, guess I can meet you maybe at the YMCA around 8 & we might ride out to Nudgee beach (not sure if the cafe will be open for the public hol), work out from there where next.

If we're going from Michelton next Raturday we could maybe meet in the railway station carpark (video surveillance there), that way we're nice & close to Blackwood Street for coffee afterwards, you come down Osborne Road or Blackwood Street to get access to the carpark.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:48 pm

sounds good pal. i'll see you at the YMCA at 8AM.

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:40 am

Wal42 wrote:that way we're nice & close to Blackwood Street for coffee afterwards
Some of the best coffee I've had in Brisbane has been on Blackwood Street. Surprised? Yep.

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Well today's Sunday II Retro Riverloop Raturday (or should that be Runday?) wasn't the success I'd hoped for, the call early was that it was pouring around Clayfield/Toombul area, so I changed from a standard retro short sleeve jersey to my 'foul weather' jersey from Belgium, if anyone has been to Belgium & knows what they call foul cycling weather, you'll know how terrific these are.

Terrific did I hear somebody say? Yeah terrific if you're in Belgium, it's -10degC & snowing, not terrific when you're in Brisbane, it's 20 something degC & the rain amounts to enough drizzle that you have to wipe your glasses 3 times in a 4 hour ride. To make things more comfy, I wore my beaut Campy knee warmers, so it was something akin to riding in a freakin' sauna.

Out to Nudgee Beach (yep the cafe was open), but I was that damn warm I thought, hmmm wouldn't want to stop & cool down whilst I have a latte`, it was more like, the only way I'm not going to bake is if I keep riding & let the breeze keep the body temp below Sunday roast (no not Tom & Nicole's kid) cooking level.

I did stop to take a picture or 2 of those present, for just a bit of irony, look at the sign in the background------

Yep, I was on my pat (you know pat malone? rhyming slang- pat malone, on you own, god, you guys know nuthin' :lol: ), vaeske bailed at the last minute, preferring to stay nice & comfy building another bike.

So from Michelton to Nudgee Beach & return is 49.6 kms, so now you mob need to work out if that's what you want to do next Raturday as a warm up for Sunday, by the GPS Michelton is 39m above sea level, Nudgee Beach is near enough to sea level that I'm not arguing about it, it's a pretty much pancake flat ride.

Also, if it's just the regular bunch, I'm just going over my old CFR Pro that I rode to 12th or 13th place in the '98 Masters World's, if nobody minds, I may take it out for one last ride before it gets put aside as a show piece for good (I want to put it up on the wall), I'm not riding it if we've got people I've not ridden before with, as this bike is priceless to me & can't be replaced.

Sunday I'll be back onboard the Vertex, I'm fitting a more retro wheel to it (also because the aero wheel is an EXT Pro which matches most of the other stuff on the CFR Pro), the spoked wheel is actually lighter than the old 'wagon' wheel, so I'm saving weight (again).

Off down to the bike cave, to polish, tinker, maintain & generally tinker with stuff.

Catch ya.

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:02 pm

Had a 65k ride this morning on the Specialized, Narangba, Strathpine, Shorncliffe loop not too bad weather wise, a couple of showers along the way but I was surprised to see that there didn't seem to be too much progress on the new bridge at Wylie Park, Petrie. Any how home safe and sound.
Tell me where to start next Raturday and I'll be there :wink:
Waz
Wazza

munga

Postby munga » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:54 pm

if anyone needs to show up wal and his bright jerseys:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vtg-COLNAGO- ... 039wt_1399" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:17 pm

Wazza wrote:I was surprised to see that there didn't seem to be too much progress on the new bridge at Wylie Park, Petrie
Was talking to an engineer friend and raised this same point - he said you're realistically looking at 2 years completion time for a bridge - design, construction, etc. What's the bet its not done by Jan 2013 though?

EDIT: Infuriating autocorrect typo.

munga

Postby munga » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:40 pm

speaking of jerseys:
Dear Shannon,

Your order number 1xxx6 on 4/09/2012 3:06:13 PM with the following details has been dispatched.

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:29 pm

munga wrote:if anyone needs to show up wal and his bright jerseys:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vtg-COLNAGO- ... 039wt_1399" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It won't fit me but maybe I should buy it & either stop you lot from out 'bright'ening me or sell it for a profit to some sucker, oops I mean one of you nice guys. :lol:

munga

Postby munga » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:31 pm

look at this clown:
http://www.redbubble.com/explore/mavic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:42 pm

Wal42 wrote:It won't fit me but maybe I should buy it & either stop you lot from out 'bright'ening me or sell it for a profit to some sucker, oops I mean one of you nice guys.
Think I have a challenger in the 'outbrightening' department...

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:45 pm

munga wrote:speaking of jerseys:
Dear Shannon,

Your order number 1xxx6 on 4/09/2012 3:06:13 PM with the following details has been dispatched.
Huzzah!

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:31 am

My suggestion for Flaturday's leg turner - Start off Blackwood Street or thereabouts, follow bikeway out to Toombul/Nundah (pick up point #1), then out past crit track, dump, through wetlands to Shorncliffe, over brodge to Woody Point (pick up point #2 for Wazza), COFFEE BREAK, then follow an alternative route back into Toombul, back along bikeway to Blackwood Street, COFFEE BREAK, then whoever is left can return as a diminishing group to their point of origin.

Flaw in this is that the start point is a whole lot further from Springfield Lakes. An alternative could be something like a cruisy run out to Wynnum, forgoing the Gateway for this time at least.

Thoughts?

munga

Postby munga » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:35 am

don't sweat it - i'm prolly working anyway.. :/

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:55 am

diggerdantheman wrote:
Wal42 wrote:It won't fit me but maybe I should buy it & either stop you lot from out 'bright'ening me or sell it for a profit to some sucker, oops I mean one of you nice guys.
Think I have a challenger in the 'outbrightening' department...

I won't outbrighten anyone but i'm happy with this one.

This will go with franceco very nicely.

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:37 am

Flaturday Fluoroday - as bright as possible, I say.

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:52 am

diggerdantheman wrote:My suggestion for Flaturday's leg turner - Start off Blackwood Street or thereabouts, follow bikeway out to Toombul/Nundah (pick up point #1), then out past crit track, dump, through wetlands to Shorncliffe, over brodge to Woody Point (pick up point #2 for Wazza), COFFEE BREAK, then follow an alternative route back into Toombul, back along bikeway to Blackwood Street, COFFEE BREAK, then whoever is left can return as a diminishing group to their point of origin.

Flaw in this is that the start point is a whole lot further from Springfield Lakes. An alternative could be something like a cruisy run out to Wynnum, forgoing the Gateway for this time at least.

Thoughts?

The concept is good Dan, but for anybody starting at Woody Point, they would virtually have half of their ride on their own.

The thing that makes this ride work is that we all stick together, that way if anyone has a mishap or whatever, they have a 'buddy' to help them out.

Surely there must be an idea that is workable?

Ok people throw up some suggestions or do we just can Raturday for this week?

If that happens & if you're up for it Dan. I'll meet you at Michie & we can do Nudgee Beach & back if you want.

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:08 pm

Yeah, was just an idea...

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:55 pm

Chaps, can we all arrange to do coffee at the end on saturday? i'm volunteering at Brisbane Open House and most buildings open at 10AM. I'm still unsure where i'll be posted but i'd like to at least get a ride in on saturday, get home and shower before starting at BOH.

You don't have to change plans because of me by the way, Not fussed if I do couple laps of riverloop by myself earlier in the morning.

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:07 pm

vaeske wrote:Chaps, can we all arrange to do coffee at the end on saturday?
I'm confused - do you mean 'at 'The End'' as in West End, or 'at the end' as in after the ride? Or do you want to give it a miss so you can be ready for BOH? I'm easy either way - if Munga is working, we could even take a spin from Mitchie out to Samford? Maybe that's a bit hilly though, I don't know... Wal?

btw, BOH should let you know on Friday where you'll be on Saturday.

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:28 pm

diggerdantheman wrote:
vaeske wrote:Chaps, can we all arrange to do coffee at the end on saturday?
I'm confused - do you mean 'at 'The End'' as in West End, or 'at the end' as in after the ride? Or do you want to give it a miss so you can be ready for BOH? I'm easy either way - if Munga is working, we could even take a spin from Mitchie out to Samford? Maybe that's a bit hilly though, I don't know... Wal?
What don't I get a start this Raturday :roll: I might be old and crusty but I still have feelings. :cry:

Waz
Wazza

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:32 pm

Its implied Wazza! Trying to sort a solution that doesn't involve you riding back to Clontarf on your pat (ha: see, Wal?)

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:41 pm

diggerdantheman wrote: Or do you want to give it a miss so you can be ready for BOH? I'm easy either way - if Munga is working, we could even take a spin from Mitchie out to Samford? Maybe that's a bit hilly though, I don't know... Wal?

btw, BOH should let you know on Friday where you'll be on Saturday.

Sorry, but what the f### is a BOH?????? Got me on that one guys.

What time to you have to back home vaeske to have enough time to get ready for this BOH thingy?

Dan, the segment thingy says that the ride up out of Samford to Camp Mountain Road is listed as a Cat 4 climb, if the climb from the old Wool shed to the high point (near Camp Mountain Road) isn't Cat 4 it'd be close, but from Samford you have to get back out, Eatons Crossing Road would be close to a Cat 4, Bunya Road has a Cat 4 rated section (coming out of the creek I think) or it's out through Dayboro which is 40kms & the climb up Dayboro Road would also be close to a Cat 4. Samford is pretty much the bottom of the valley & you have to climb to get back from there.

Wazza, chuck up a meeting point & route if you want, but what we need is all the information, ie what time vaeske needs to be finished, where we want to go from, to or whatever in between.

We could meet somewhere near Bowen Hills/Albion/Perry Park (not sure if the council parking restrictions apply there on Rat mornings), go out through Eagle Junction/Kedron Brook Bikeway to Sorley Bikeway (or whatever they call it) to either Nudgee Road or Nudgee Beach (depending on time) then back to Bowen Hills, there is both DiBella & Merlo within a stones throw of Perry Park (hopefully one or both of them would be open).

If the plan doesn't work for you, make a suggestion that does,compromise (you guys do know what that one means :lol: ) I'm not the blinking organiser :x , just trying to get a plan together that suits everybody. It's called negotiation skills kiddies :? , do I have to let Mr Pottymouth off the leash???????????? :twisted: :lol:

Throw me a frickin' bone, OK!