The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Oxford » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:13 am

In many Brisbane outer lying suburbs, you'll find concrete paths either do not exist or are only on one side of the road. excellent example. the estate I live had a concrete path that extend one house into the street I live on ie around the corner where the roundabout is. the estate is close to 20 years old now and it was only last week that the path was extended (on my side of the street) to join up to another path that comes between the houses through a reserve area about 10 houses into the street. and the path is only wide enough for a wheel chair, which I assume must be a design standard they have to meet.

so its not unusual in brisbane for utilities to be right where paths should be as they are generally there eons before paths are.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

by BNA » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:56 pm

BNA

Postby g-boaf » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:56 pm

I had a runner suddenly turn right in front of me, and sadly we collided. I stayed upright, no damage to bike or either of us apart from my pretty sore knee that whacked into something.

With the gusty wind I was already being cautious to avoid getting blown about. We all survive to live another day and I'm going to get a lotto ticket.
g-boaf

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:25 pm

Was crossing Spencer St at Bourke on foot a couple of days back in company with the usual crowd of lunchtime peds when Mr Syd Krome (overweight, oddly dressed and bareheaded) blazed through the light, scattering and turned right into Bourke.
I admit that my startlement was prolly the cause of my very loud exclamation of "JERK!". I'm normally more polite than that.

I highly doubt that Mr Krome is a member of this esteemed company seeing as he had the look of someone working off his DUI suspension but should he be, I note, Cur your suggestion to attempt self fertilisation and humbly request that you be man enough to halt your motion next time so that I may demonstrate the technique upon your mouth breathing, knuckle dragging, drooling person. I was the bearded bloke in the hiviz orange shirt and blue cap.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Was crossing Spencer St at Bourke on foot a couple of days back in company with the usual crowd of lunchtime peds when Mr Syd Krome (overweight, oddly dressed and bareheaded) blazed through the light, scattering and turned right into Bourke.
I admit that my startlement was prolly the cause of my very loud exclamation of "JERK!". I'm normally more polite than that.

I highly doubt that Mr Krome is a member of this esteemed company seeing as he had the look of someone working off his DUI suspension but should he be, I note, Cur your suggestion to attempt self fertilisation and humbly request that you be man enough to halt your motion next time so that I may demonstrate the technique upon your mouth breathing, knuckle dragging, drooling person. I was the bearded bloke in the hiviz orange shirt and blue cap.

I am not sure that he can read. Perhaps you could draw some stick drawings for him instead.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby DavidS » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:34 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Was crossing Spencer St at Bourke on foot a couple of days back in company with the usual crowd of lunchtime peds when Mr Syd Krome (overweight, oddly dressed and bareheaded) blazed through the light, scattering and turned right into Bourke.

I see someone like that and I try and get in their way. Sometimes not wise but I do find that sort of behaviour pisses me off, not least because it hardens attitudes against cyclists and cycling.

DS

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
DavidS

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:53 pm

I know, but what the hey. I mighta impeded his progress if I had half a chance but he was too bl00dy quick.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby twizzle » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:32 pm

Sydguy wrote:Yesterdat i saw a dad cycling on the footpath one hand on bars other on sons leg. Son was sitting on dads shoulders. No helmets. Bags of shopping also hanging on bars...

Skilled circus family or plain stupidity...

JM

Guy at work tried the shopping bag trick a couple of years back. He woke up in an ambulance.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:29 am

forgot I saw one last week.

said cyclist was riding down through roma st parklands share path (brisbane). I was about to overtake them when they came to a complete stop. reason: their jacket wrapped around the front fork. :shock:

lucky it was the front fork and not the wheel me thinks
jasonc

Postby g-boaf » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:51 am

Mulger bill wrote:I know, but what the hey. I mighta impeded his progress if I had half a chance but he was too bl00dy quick.

Saw one of these types this morning on Loftus Street/Bridge Street corner in Sydney around 8:03am on a road bike. He stopped, put his foot up on the kerb and then when the coast looked clear, way he went through the red light, half across the pedestrian crossing as if that made it less contemptible.
g-boaf

Postby human909 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:52 am

twizzle wrote:
Sydguy wrote:Yesterdat i saw a dad cycling on the footpath one hand on bars other on sons leg. Son was sitting on dads shoulders. No helmets. Bags of shopping also hanging on bars...

Skilled circus family or plain stupidity...

JM

Guy at work tried the shopping bag trick a couple of years back. He woke up in an ambulance.

Sent from my iThingy...

I regularly do the shopping bag off the handlebars. It really is no big deal.
human909

Postby Livetoride » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:59 am

Cyclist comes off the bike path at Tooronga road, rides along the foot path rather than the road so he can cross with the peds at the ped crossing. Problem is, like a few cyclists, at the crossing instead of moving to the side whilst still on the bike or lining up vertically with the path so peds can get passed, this dumb cyclist has his bike horizontally across the path, forcing me and others to move around him. I don't have a problem with him using the ped crossing its the lack of respect and courtesy to the peds who are supposed to be on the path that annoyed me, by all means share but use your bloody head mate and let others pass...
Happy Days
Livetoride

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:01 am

g-boaf wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:I know, but what the hey. I mighta impeded his progress if I had half a chance but he was too bl00dy quick.

Saw one of these types this morning on Loftus Street/Bridge Street corner in Sydney around 8:03am on a road bike. He stopped, put his foot up on the kerb and then when the coast looked clear, way he went through the red light, half across the pedestrian crossing as if that made it less contemptible.

My moron didn't stop, he barely backed off. THAT's why I want to punch him in the throat :evil:
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby jules21 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:10 am

i may have contributed to this with my pace, but ol' mate isn't looking where he's going at all. is this you? :)

jules21

Postby g-boaf » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:29 am

He's on the wrong side of the path too. :roll: It happens - and I suppose he won't do that again.

It doesn't look like you were really going that quickly.
g-boaf

Postby twizzle » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:18 pm

O.K., I don't often bother to post here often, but this really takes the prize. Myself and two others riding single file at reduced speed on the shared pathway across Commonwealth Ave bridge, "Floriade" foot traffic heading the other way. There's a woman walking in the middle of the shared path, Mr. POBSO is coming up behind her. He goes to pass her on her right, but of course, we are heading straight for him, so he tries to pass her on the left, just as she moves over to the correct side of the path. So the moron, instead of waiting for the path to clear, now proceeds to overtake her on our side of the shared path, only just avoiding a head-on with our lead rider, who had decided that it was looking rather dodgy and braked. :evil:

And at the end of the bridge, I got to stare down two women who just kept walking sheep-like towards me on the wrong side of the path until I was almost track-standing in front of them and blocking their way.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am.
twizzle

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:30 am

twizzle wrote:O.K., I don't often bother to post here often, but this really takes the prize. Myself and two others riding single file at reduced speed on the shared pathway across Commonwealth Ave bridge, "Floriade" foot traffic heading the other way. There's a woman walking in the middle of the shared path, Mr. POBSO is coming up behind her. He goes to pass her on her right, but of course, we are heading straight for him, so he tries to pass her on the left, just as she moves over to the correct side of the path. So the moron, instead of waiting for the path to clear, now proceeds to overtake her on our side of the shared path, only just avoiding a head-on with our lead rider, who had decided that it was looking rather dodgy and braked. :evil:

And at the end of the bridge, I got to stare down two women who just kept walking sheep-like towards me on the wrong side of the path until I was almost track-standing in front of them and blocking their way.

so many dumb people there in such a short time.....
jasonc

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:58 am

twizzle wrote:O.K., I don't often bother to post here often, but this really takes the prize. Myself and two others riding single file at reduced speed on the shared pathway across Commonwealth Ave bridge, "Floriade" foot traffic heading the other way. There's a woman walking in the middle of the shared path, Mr. POBSO is coming up behind her. He goes to pass her on her right, but of course, we are heading straight for him, so he tries to pass her on the left, just as she moves over to the correct side of the path. So the moron, instead of waiting for the path to clear, now proceeds to overtake her on our side of the shared path, only just avoiding a head-on with our lead rider, who had decided that it was looking rather dodgy and braked. :evil:

Sent from my iThingy...

I think someone suggested a while back on here that we should be riding on the road, and not on the shared paths. There are some seriously dumb people on the paths.

I get really annoyed with the oncoming group riders going side-by-side on the shared paths. So I just blend over a bit closer to the edge of my "lane" and force them to go single file as they should on narrow paths when approaching other people riding or walking in the other direction. It's sheer rudeness and stupidity, especially in windy conditions. When they relent and go single file, I move back over and leave more room. If they don't, I move back and slow right down.
Last edited by g-boaf on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
g-boaf

Postby Ross » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:08 am

twizzle wrote:Guy at work tried the shopping bag trick a couple of years back. He woke up in an ambulance.

A couple of months ago I did the shopping bag thing too...didn't wake up in ambulance but had a OTB experience :oops:
Ross

Postby clydesmcdale » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:41 am

g-boaf wrote:
I think someone suggested a while back on here that we should be riding on the road, and not on the shared paths. There are some seriously dumb people on the paths.

Problem is... These same people drive cars.
clydesmcdale

Postby jules21 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:33 am

had another rogue dog walker on MYT last night. his dog is wandering around on the nature strip on the RHS of the path while ol' mate wanders along on the left. clearly the dog is treating the general area as its playground. the 2 cyclists ahead of me sensibly slow down to pass and i mention to ol' mate as i pass "control your dog mate!" in a matter-of-fact voice (i.e. non-abusive). i get an earful in response, so i return serve. the guy was in no doubt about what he was doing (wrong) but just didn't give a stuff.
jules21

Postby human909 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:38 am

jules21 wrote:had another rogue dog walker on MYT last night. his dog is wandering around on the nature strip on the RHS of the path while ol' mate wanders along on the left. clearly the dog is treating the general area as its playground. the 2 cyclists ahead of me sensibly slow down to pass and i mention to ol' mate as i pass "control your dog mate!" in a matter-of-fact voice (i.e. non-abusive). i get an earful in response, so i return serve. the guy was in no doubt about what he was doing (wrong) but just didn't give a stuff.

Are you sure he knew he was doing something wrong? As far as Australian culture goes most people seem to think that paths are shared locations open to pedestrians, pets and cyclists. The notion that paths are a medium speed infrastructure where there is an obligation to not hold up traffic does not seem to enter the minds of many people.

The same people wouldn't dream of walking along the road allowing their dog to wander.
human909

Postby jules21 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:53 am

human909 wrote:Are you sure he knew he was doing something wrong? As far as Australian culture goes most people seem to think that paths are shared locations open to pedestrians, pets and cyclists. The notion that paths are a medium speed infrastructure where there is an obligation to not hold up traffic does not seem to enter the minds of many people.

anyone with common sense would have seen that his actions were causing chaos - he was enjoying himself. some people are just p's.

i've got no issue with slowing for pedestrians, even if they insist on blocking the entire path (which is annoying), but dogs are not protected by the road rules - their owners are obliged to keep them under control.
jules21

Postby bychosis » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:02 am

Watched, as I drove to work this morning :(, a cyclist passed by a car (safely) approaching a two lane roundabout, car and cyclist in left lane. Car stopped to give way, cyclist continued on passing the car on the kerb side to get just in front of the car before the car moved off. Car then moved off passing the cyclist again, both in the same lane through the roundabout in a lane where the is little to no shoulder. There were no other vehicles on the roundabout, other than me driving in the opposite direction.

Can only imagine the at the end of the driver was annoyed and the cyclist was lucky to have enough space to ride. Some cyclists just give others a bad name, he could have slowed to stay behind the car without losing too much momentum. Also worth noting that the cyclist had a hi vis vest on so has some sense of cycle safety.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby jules21 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:05 am

i sympathise with motorists on that - just wait behind when it's clear they are going to take off faster than you.
jules21

Postby twizzle » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:52 pm

g-boaf wrote:I think someone suggested a while back on here that we should be riding on the road, and not on the shared paths. There are some seriously dumb people on the paths.

The problem is that, with this bridge and the 70kph speed limit, it's too dangerous to ride on the road over the bridge if it's only a few riders.

There was a head-on collision between two cyclists on the shared path on the other side of the bridge a few weeks back, and the innocent cyclist flipped over the safety barrier and landed on his back in the traffic between two cars. Luckily, the traffic was moving slowly, so he wasn't run over. The Govt suggestion for that side of the bridge is to put up some 'cyclists must dismount' signs until they find the $3+M (!!?!) to put a taller barrier up between the pathway and the road.

The proper solution would be to do a flotation test (lake below bridge) of the bicycles ridden by these people who can't seem to do simple things like ride on the correct side of the path, overtake safely etc. etc.

Actually - in a similar vein, a few months back I was riding across the same bridge with one other in single file, we were approaching a ped and mate ahead went to overtake when lycra hoon tried to overtake all of us without calling then had the hide to abuse my mate for getting in his way. Luckily for him, we had somewhere else to be... otherwise we were going to follow and have words.
I ride, therefore I am.
twizzle

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion