Hitting that wall.. what should I change?

twizzle

Re: Hitting that wall.. what should I change?

Postby twizzle » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:17 pm

jamesn184 wrote:Actually did the 100k ride this morning and pulled up good after, had my 2nd water bottle as Gatorade which I drank from 1hr 45 onwards
Had my gel shot around 1hr 30mins & a protein/carb bar at 2hr 30mins..
Had no real headwind at all coming back which helped, overall kept up a total avg speed of 30.50km/hr and was maintain 35-37 on the flats

Going to have a crack at making rice cakes this week and use them to..
Stored glycogen consumption is determined by whether or not you effort is aerobic or anaerobic. If you stay purely aerobic, you can almost ride forever. But if you keep dipping into the anaerobic consumption (which can be a case of simply too much force on the pedals).... you can stuff your face with sugar and you will still bonk, you simply can't digest the carbs quick enough (~60g/1020Kj per hour) to make up for the consumption (my PM says I consume ~4,800Kj per hour at race pace). Either get stronger (so you have more aerobic capacity), or ride slower. FWIW, staying purely aerobic feels slug-like - I kills me to ride that slow.

As an example - I'm aerobically very fit, but climbing two flights of stairs leaves me puffed out. On the bike, you can NEVER put your whole weight on the pedal, because it's always moving away under you - so the peak force is when you are first moving off in a big gear. The reason that stairs kill me is because I am lifting my whole body weight, and to do that I need all of my aerobic slow-twitch plus my fast twitch anaerobic muscle fibres.

And you haven't really bonked unless everthing gets a bit fuzzy and your balance is shot.
And then do a 9.5km 6% descent in that state... :oops:
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:37 pm

twizzle wrote:
jamesn184 wrote:Actually did the 100k ride this morning and pulled up good after, had my 2nd water bottle as Gatorade which I drank from 1hr 45 onwards
Had my gel shot around 1hr 30mins & a protein/carb bar at 2hr 30mins..
Had no real headwind at all coming back which helped, overall kept up a total avg speed of 30.50km/hr and was maintain 35-37 on the flats

Going to have a crack at making rice cakes this week and use them to..
Stored glycogen consumption is determined by whether or not you effort is aerobic or anaerobic. If you stay purely aerobic, you can almost ride forever. But if you keep dipping into the anaerobic consumption (which can be a case of simply too much force on the pedals).... you can stuff your face with sugar and you will still bonk, you simply can't digest the carbs quick enough (~60g/1020Kj per hour) to make up for the consumption (my PM says I consume ~4,800Kj per hour at race pace). Either get stronger (so you have more aerobic capacity), or ride slower. FWIW, staying purely aerobic feels slug-like - I kills me to ride that slow.

As an example - I'm aerobically very fit, but climbing two flights of stairs leaves me puffed out. On the bike, you can NEVER put your whole weight on the pedal, because it's always moving away under you - so the peak force is when you are first moving off in a big gear. The reason that stairs kill me is because I am lifting my whole body weight, and to do that I need all of my aerobic slow-twitch plus my fast twitch anaerobic muscle fibres.

And you haven't really bonked unless everthing gets a bit fuzzy and your balance is shot.
And then do a 9.5km 6% descent in that state... :oops:
Well I can climb 4 flights of stairs 2 steps at a time and can still go :P
I have since installed a cadence sensor and the last ride I went for.. I averaged 90cadence over 125km

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:33 pm

Four flights of stairs at speed... sounds fast-twitch to me. But IIa or IIb? Big bulky legs?

Sent from my iThingy...

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:45 am

I have what you could say "sprinters legs"
I think they tape out to about 24 inches...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:51 pm

jamesn184 wrote:I have what you could say "sprinters legs"
I think they tape out to about 24 inches...
Ah, that explains a lot.

Sent from my iThingy...

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:14 pm

What I've found makes the biggest difference for me (other than improved fitness) is a decent size bowl of porridge with a brown banana mashed in (browner the better), and drizzle of honey over. Eaten about 1hr before riding..
Combined with drinking high5 4:1 carb/protein drink, a banana/gel/coffee in there as well. I used to bonk big time before getting the breaky sorted.

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:31 am

I have a good serving of Quaker oats prior to my rides now
Using high5 zero tabs, Isogel, powerbar performance bars & rice cakes