Speedplay - the good the great and the the ugly

biker jk

Re: Speedplay - the good the great and the the ugly

Postby biker jk » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:53 pm

bosvit wrote:Do you need speedplay specific shoes or can you get adaptors?

Cheers
The adapter plate comes with the pedals so you can use three hole shoes but as mentioned Sidi now makes a speedplay version (which gives you lower stack height).

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:55 pm

Thanks JK

qeaou

Postby qeaou » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:18 pm

twizzle wrote:
NhiTrac wrote:Nah I dont service it due to the damage mentioned above so I thought it'll die on me at anytime, cept it kept on going! I'm literally running these into the ground so I can get a new pair, which I will look after properly :wink:
Assuming you don't have the CrMo spindles... buy the approriate Torx driver, buy a set of CrMo pedals (the 'cheap' version), swap the pedal bodies onto your spindles. It's an absolute bitch to get the bolts out of the spindles (loctite'd in place), but they always come out in the end.

And for everyone else...
Get this grease gun.
Always use the wear plate, even when using the plastic platform.
That is great advice buddy!
Thanks!

Long live the speedplays i guess

hannos

Postby hannos » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:59 pm

twizzle wrote: Get this grease gun.

or for your cheap mongrels out there (like me) there's this grease gun.

Works just fine for me :)
2010 BMC SLC01

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:21 pm

No grease gun using a cheap syringe from the chemist but just small one that fits in the grease port.
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

qeaou

Postby qeaou » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:04 pm

Cheers
Adaptors!

and it sucks, but getting new shoes just to fit speedplays?
perhaps the best option, don't know.

On another note, big difference between stainless steel and titaniums?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:28 am

qeaou wrote:On another note, big difference between stainless steel and titaniums?
Mostly to your wallet. No real-world differences, anyway.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:29 am

steve-waters wrote:No grease gun using a cheap syringe from the chemist but just small one that fits in the grease port.
Yep, I've got a medium size syringe as you really need to squeeze the bejesus out of it to get the grease in there.
Then a tiny self tapping screw to seal it off when not in use.

The ugly - So my Speedplays have been getting quite wet of course and the screws that mount it to my shoes have been getting a little surface rust. When I get a mechanical and I can't avoid walking in sand, getting sand out of the pedals is a PITA. Getting the cafe covers off is very difficult at times, especially at 5am when it's freeking freezing with gloves on etc.

The good - Pedals are low profile and small.

The great - I have 100% confidence my shoes are never going to unclip. Easy to clip back on, as the pedals don't need to be 'flipped' (the biggest selling point for me as my Looks were TERRIBLE).

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:58 pm

Here's a previous thread on getting grease into the SPs on the cheap...
U can see from the YouTube vid that it don't get much easier than that!
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44598

qeaou

Postby qeaou » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:40 pm

Cheers
From what I know, most people get adaptors (which come as a kit with new speedplay set)

I am considering myself the Sidi Ergo 3 speedplay ready (4 screws), but haven't got three yet, the regular 3 screw shows with adapters are doing just fine

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:37 pm

qeaou wrote:

Cheers
From what I know, most people get adaptors (which come as a kit with new speedplay set)

I am considering myself the Sidi Ergo 3 speedplay ready (4 screws), but haven't got three yet, the regular 3 screw shows with adapters are doing just fine
Just a tip incase you were unaware, if you buy speedplay specific shoes, you need to order the stainless steel wear plate to go with them. I havn't seen these supplied with the shoes that I've seen. These stop your pedals from wearning a hole in your carbon sole, its basically a 1mm stainless steel plate that goes under your cleat.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:46 pm

Yes, I recently bought new Sidi Speedplay 4 hole shoes and was a bit disappointed not to receive the wear plate with either the shoes or pedals. Luckily I have a sheet metal shop and I made my own.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:26 am

DaveOZ wrote:Yes, I recently bought new Sidi Speedplay 4 hole shoes and was a bit disappointed not to receive the wear plate with either the shoes or pedals. Luckily I have a sheet metal shop and I made my own.
U could start selling them! I bet u could do them cheaper than what speedplay try and sell them for!

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:14 am

Dr_Mutley wrote:
DaveOZ wrote:Yes, I recently bought new Sidi Speedplay 4 hole shoes and was a bit disappointed not to receive the wear plate with either the shoes or pedals. Luckily I have a sheet metal shop and I made my own.
U could start selling them! I bet u could do them cheaper than what speedplay try and sell them for!
But then Speedplay would sue you like they did with the guy who was selling his own servicing kits (bearings, etc.).

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:36 am

biker jk wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:
But then Speedplay would sue you like they did with the guy who was selling his own servicing kits (bearings, etc.).
Yes, but they would be for sidi shoes, not speedplay pedals ;-)

But I hear what yr saying, speedplay have been über pricks in the past wrt Frikinspit on WW and his bearing kits.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:24 pm

Don't suppose you would be up to the challenge of making the bottom plates in stainless? You could sell them individually, I only ever wear out my right hand bottom plate, it's pretty much the only reason I need to replace the cleats!

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:22 pm

Which bit do you call the bottom plate? I don't have my Sidi shoes here so I'm not quite sure. The bit I made is called the wear plate in 0.7mm Stainless steel. I did make a few sets and gave a pair to Norbs. Surely they can't sue me if I make them for personal use and give them to mates. :wink:

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:31 pm

Oh, You mean the plate on the bottom. Sorry I'm being thick. :roll:

May be able to make those. It worries me that the screw heads might wear down on mine to the point that they won't come out. I think they should be recessed a bit further. Actually titanium would be excellent for that bottom plate.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:46 pm

DaveOZ wrote:Oh, You mean the plate on the bottom. Sorry I'm being thick. :roll:

May be able to make those. It worries me that the screw heads might wear down on mine to the point that they won't come out. I think they should be recessed a bit further. Actually titanium would be excellent for that bottom plate.
Ooooooh - weigh weenie as well! And you could do fixed-position holes to stop the cleats from moving across the shoe.

If you do go into production, you will move a stack of these - cleat replacement is something we all bitch about. I'd take two pair to start with, and a couple of spare 'right' plates, and I know someone else who would grab a pair plus spares as well.

m@

Postby m@ » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:11 pm

twizzle wrote:
DaveOZ wrote:Oh, You mean the plate on the bottom. Sorry I'm being thick. :roll:

Ooooooh - weigh weenie as well! And you could do fixed-position holes to stop the cleats from moving across the shoe.

If you do go into production, you will move a stack of these - cleat replacement is something we all bitch about. I'd take two pair to start with, and a couple of spare 'right' plates, and I know someone else who would grab a pair plus spares as well.
+2 (pairs)! :mrgreen:

(and I can hear SP's lawyers sharpening their pencils as we type...)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:29 pm

biker jk wrote:But then Speedplay would sue you like they did with the guy who was selling his own servicing kits (bearings, etc.).
Maybe they should rename their bits "iPedal" :?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:52 pm

twizzle wrote:

The wear plate fits between the sole of the shoe and the cleat to stop the pedal wearing into the soles of carbon shoes... A thin plate on top of the cleat would prevent wear of the cleat when walking, and if your interested in that, then there is already a "leave on" device available to prevent wear and facilitate easier walking..

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 0447214984" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

geoffs

Postby geoffs » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:31 pm

Here is a link to the local place to buy the cleat covers from http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/sto ... at-covers/
Same price but Steve's local so I am presuming the postage wil be cheaper

qeaou

Postby qeaou » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:14 pm

Cheers
I use the adaptors on sidi ergo 3 (ergo 3 also come with speedplay specific shoes, but I didn't bother)
No issues, just a higher profile, but that's that.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:27 pm

Sorry - "leave on" cleat covers negate the whole euro-cool feel. :mrgreen:

Plus... the beveled edge that guides the pedal into the c-spring eventually wears and makes it hard to clip in.

Sent from my iThingy...