Cyclists speeding (Letter to the Fremantle Gazette)

blkmcs

Re: Cyclists speeding (Letter to the Fremantle Gazette)

Postby blkmcs » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:41 pm

Troy C wrote:I know the cyclist in the incident
FYI - Its was a triathlon training group on Triathlon bikes .
He says the rider was on his side of the path.
Perhaps you can persuade a member of the group to come on here and explain why they were riding in such an illegal and dangerous manner.
Too old to live, too slow to die.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:12 am

Troy C wrote:I know the cyclist in the incident
FYI - Its was a triathlon training group on Triathlon bikes .
He says the rider was on his side of the path.
Troy - I am guessing that you are saying that the complainant was on the wrong side of the path (your post does not make it clear which is the rider and which is the cyclist but I infer).

It is fairly obvious that if both parties went to a local rag or a radio talk back, the version that will get the run is mostly NOT going to be a group riding cyclist or anyone that is tagged as being "of the lycra set".

Of course, with the multitude of cyclists running camera's, it is almost freaky if someone did not have a camera running at the time.

btw it would be nice if you dcould tell us where this occurred. That path covers a wide range of conditions, generally being worse as you get closer to the city.
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:26 am

A few people have stated that they see group riding three abreast, of which I made an earlier suggestion that the complainant may be gilding the lily in saying so.

I imagine that a group rider would not readily wish to ride in such a formation and that a three wide grouping would reduce significantly their own safety and options. Perhaps some group ride participants could clarify, just for my own further understanding.

(I am not talking about those daily situations of multiple riders passing unrelated riders in stupid moves. I see those all the time, mostly with me being the left-most party. :x )

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:16 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:And while there is not an applicable speed limit afaik, my understanding in WA is that we are also not allowed to ride more than single file.
Do you have a link or source for this statement please Colin?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:27 pm

scirocco wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:And while there is not an applicable speed limit afaik, my understanding in WA is that we are also not allowed to ride more than single file.
Western Australian Road Traffic Code 2000

Andrew
Andrew

RoFlmaTiC

Postby RoFlmaTiC » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:29 pm

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/c ... /s216.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Subsection 4
2011 Cervelo S2 | 2014 Cervelo P2 | 2014 Apollo Giro Disc | 2018 S Works Tarmac Ultralight | 2020 Ragley Trig Adventure

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:37 pm

scirocco wrote:
Which one? And no to either. Though it's a certainty that you will have some shortly confirming my understanding, denying it or varyingit.

There may be differences state to state too, notwithstanding the general consistency nationally.

Just to clarify, I was referring to bikes on paths.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:43 pm

It didn't take long to get a reg on the singles issue. Thanks RoFlmaTiC. I'll expand it here though:
ROAD TRAFFIC CODE 2000 - REG 216
216 . Shared paths and separated footpaths
(4) A person shall not ride a bicycle on a separated footpath or a shared path so that the bicycle is travelling abreast of any other bicycle on the path.

Modified penalty: 1 PU

(5) Subregulation (4) does not prevent a cyclist from overtaking or passing other persons riding bicycles on the path.

(6) For the purposes of this regulation, a bicycle is abreast of another bicycle if any part of it is by the side of any part of the other.
Re the speed, I just did a quick google on the limits applying on paths. From WA Departmetnn of Transport at http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFil ... edpath.pdf
There are no actual posted speed limits on shared paths in
Western Australia. However Regulation 229b of the Road
Traffic Code states that a person shall not ride a bicycle
recklessly on any road or path.
These are both for WA. Likely the same in other states.

(RoFlmaTiC, do you care to elucidate on the construction of your forum name?)

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:10 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
It didn't take long to get a reg on the singles issue. Thanks RoFlmaTiC. I'll expand it here though:
ROAD TRAFFIC CODE 2000 - REG 216
216 . Shared paths and separated footpaths
(4) A person shall not ride a bicycle on a separated footpath or a shared path so that the bicycle is travelling abreast of any other bicycle on the path.

Modified penalty: 1 PU

(5) Subregulation (4) does not prevent a cyclist from overtaking or passing other persons riding bicycles on the path.

(6) For the purposes of this regulation, a bicycle is abreast of another bicycle if any part of it is by the side of any part of the other.
Re the speed, I just did a quick google on the limits applying on paths. From WA Departmetnn of Transport at http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFil ... edpath.pdf
There are no actual posted speed limits on shared paths in
Western Australia. However Regulation 229b of the Road
Traffic Code states that a person shall not ride a bicycle
recklessly on any road or path.
These are both for WA. Likely the same in other states.
I would like to see them enforce the laws, maybe when someone is killed they might do something. Too many cyclists think it's ok to ride two abreast towards oncoming riders. Every time we ride shared paths we encounter quite a few of these idiots.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

Troy C

Postby Troy C » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:05 pm

I know of the cyclist, (the accused), I am not going to ask him to come on here to explain himself to online witch hunt.
For you troll types that feed off somebodys misfortune when they are in the wrong, he cracked his rather expensive TRI bike
Yes he state the complainant was on the wrong side of the path and I have heard from another witness that they where both in the wrong. Only Camera footage would tell the true story
I don't really care, IMO most riders think they are better bike handlers than they really are and have no idea how much of there right hand side is hanging over the center line when riding two abreast.
Rota-M Cycling Team, Board Member of ATTA, Member of CWA, WCMCC

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:12 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:RoFlmaTiC, do you care to elucidate on the construction of your forum name?)
Aaah. I'm guessing tic="Til I cry".

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:10 pm

Have you been stewing over that for 3 days Colin? =D

Bummer about the cracked Tri frame but lucky his head is OK if the split helmet was accurate at all in original letter?

Makes me wonder about insurance (idly shopping for it all year)
a) proving right/wrong/other (if required) for cover of my own gear if someone does wrong by me, if I'm still alive, conscious or capable of even following up about material items.
b) my 3rd party coverage if I'm at fault, or unable to recollect, have witness, or prove otherwise.
c) does insurance policy purchase lead me to purchase crash proof video camera to answer a&b, and will I end up riding like a Perth driver to the law stand and fight not share or safely avoid incidents... a slippery slope.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:46 pm

eldavo wrote:Also reminded me of disorganised/reckless motorcycle group rides where people throw their individual brains out the window and "Keep up or be left behind" mentality goes in. Every man/woman/child for themselves.
Ah, I got a bunch of that at the Subiaco underpass last week. Morning group southbound didn't manage to stay on the left side of the path. Would have been ugly.

Flip side is running 40kph+ (ie tri group training run) on the shared path in most places is, ahem, brave due to poor visibility, stray pets and crap on the ground. Add curves and it's odds-on for a "safety moment".

Particularly if you've got your training brain on: I find it nearly impossible to keep alert in long training sessions where you can sustain good pace. Inter traffic light sprints are far safer !
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

RoFlmaTiC

Postby RoFlmaTiC » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:11 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:RoFlmaTiC, do you care to elucidate on the construction of your forum name?)
Aaah. I'm guessing tic="Til I cry".
Sorry Colin missed your question!

It's not really an acronym - just tried to make an noun out of "roflmao" :-)
2011 Cervelo S2 | 2014 Cervelo P2 | 2014 Apollo Giro Disc | 2018 S Works Tarmac Ultralight | 2020 Ragley Trig Adventure