Weld popped off? How hard to fix?

Comedian

Weld popped off? How hard to fix?

Postby Comedian » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:33 pm

I bought this dear old frame off Ebay. When I got to having a close look at it I found the following problem. How hard do you all think this would be to fix? Clearly.. it's steel, and old. The bike is otherwise in good condition but it isn't exotic in any way. It was just bought as a cruiser.

rkelsen

Re: Weld popped off? How hard to fix?

Postby rkelsen » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:41 pm

Easy to fix. Anyone with an oxy torch could do it.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:47 pm

Would be good to get someone to clean it all up so you have a clean surface to weld off. Were you going to respray it? You could get it sandblasted for pretty cheap.

Maybe it might be an idea for them to go over any other welds possibly? Considering that the weld could have come off due to old age/fatigue or misuse.

Awesome project none the less though. Can't wait to see it going again.
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:34 pm

Ha... That's not a weld!... Welding has penetration into both surfaces... That looks like it is glued on :-| .

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:00 pm

adrian_d wrote:Would be good to get someone to clean it all up so you have a clean surface to weld off. Were you going to respray it? You could get it sandblasted for pretty cheap.

Maybe it might be an idea for them to go over any other welds possibly? Considering that the weld could have come off due to old age/fatigue or misuse.

Awesome project none the less though. Can't wait to see it going again.
I'd hoped to run it as it is for a while without major restoration. Part of it's appeal is how original it is. I guess that's why I'm a little disappointed. I'd imagine patching the paint would be extremely difficult. :(

LG

Postby LG » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:56 pm

It's a braze which has popped off the lug. Pretty simple job for any frame builder to braze it back on, not too time consuming and shouldn't be too expensive. It will trash the paint around the lug and part way along the tubes though.
LG = Low Gear

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:23 am

LG wrote:It's a braze which has popped off the lug. Pretty simple job for any frame builder to braze it back on, not too time consuming and shouldn't be too expensive. It will trash the paint around the lug and part way along the tubes though.
I got a grumpy reply from the seller. He has said I may return the bike by this Saturday.

I'm trying to find someone in Brisbane that can do the job to check my options. (any suggestions??)

It would appear you are right though... it can be fixed - no big deal. However the paint will be trashed and require repair. In which case... can we match the paint? Not likely.. so I can see this digressing into a full strip and re-build. Personally that makes it a big job - and the bike will loose it's authenticity which was one of the appeals. So, at this point I'm leaning to the return and refund option.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:59 am

I'm guessing the reason for the failure might be the way undersized seatpost and the stupid overtightening of the binder to hold it, check out how far the slot has closed up.

Send her back Comic, Fred knows what other hamfisted abuse has been done to the poor thing :(

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:05 am

I agree. Get your money back while you can.

Even if you fix it, how long would it be until the other side pops off?

Not worth the time or hassle.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:41 pm

I am guessing from the lugs, colour and the down tube stickers that it is an Oxford?
These things are pre bmx and mountain bike and most/ many/ all would have been jumped like a…… bmx. The seat stays often copped a fair bit of landing stress. (My ox tri speed was my first real bike and I still miss it)

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:12 pm

baabaa wrote:I am guessing from the lugs, colour and the down tube stickers that it is an Oxford?
These things are pre bmx and mountain bike and most/ many/ all would have been jumped like a…… bmx. The seat stays often copped a fair bit of landing stress. (My ox tri speed was my first real bike and I still miss it)
Bloody well done.. an oxford lo-line it is! I can't believe it... I did nothing other than adjust the seat and pop!

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:26 pm

So were they known for this?

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:43 pm

If you paid by Paypal, you have 45 days to raise a dispute, on the grounds that the goods are not as described, i.e. the seller didn't mention the fault. I'd raise one immediately.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:36 pm

So were they known for this?
Nah, any bike of that age ridden by a kid at that time did what kids do now, jump and hoon about.
Being built for the road type purpose is not the same as a modern type bmx or mtn bike even in terms of technology and the size/ length of tubing used so if some failed then the ones that have made it to now have done well and may have had a soft life. I doubt many kids bikes on the ground now will still be around in 30 odd years.
Don’t forget these things would have been hand built brazed and welded but still built to make a price. No bike was really that cheap then and I know I had to hold out for a while for my first new bike. (I see a euro supermarket have a 129$ bike for sale now, will it be on the road in even 5 years time??)

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:15 pm

In Brisbane, look up Joe Cosgrove. He will fix this while he has a cup of tea :D

scotto

Postby scotto » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:15 am

RonK wrote:If you paid by Paypal, you have 45 days to raise a dispute, on the grounds that the goods are not as described, i.e. the seller didn't mention the fault. I'd raise one immediately.
if you read the post the frame was fine till the seat was adjusted, then it "popped off"
sounds like the seller is being very gracious about a fault that wasnt there (or detectable) prior to purchase...

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:13 pm

scotto wrote:
RonK wrote:If you paid by Paypal, you have 45 days to raise a dispute, on the grounds that the goods are not as described, i.e. the seller didn't mention the fault. I'd raise one immediately.
if you read the post the frame was fine till the seat was adjusted, then it "popped off"
sounds like the seller is being very gracious about a fault that wasnt there (or detectable) prior to purchase...
I agree. I think the seller is being fair about it.

I think being able to adjust the seat height of a bicycle is a pretty core function though.