Video Camera who uses one?

Lukeyboy

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:57 am

It even fractured in the exact same spot as mine did.

It seems that the handelbar mount (at least for road bikes) tend to fracture more easily compared to when mounted on BMX/Mountain bikes (I'm guessing vibration due to the lack of tread on bike tires/no suspension combined with the tighting of the lock on the plastic). If you buy another one for your roadbike I'd reccommend using one of the k-edge handle bar mounts or the GoPro rollbar mount (chunkier) attached to the stem.

norbs

Postby norbs » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:52 pm

I wont be buying another GoPro. If they replace mine, all good, but I refuse to stump up another $300 to replace a camera that was destroyed because of their mount.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:04 pm

What would you replace it with Norbs, assuming they don't do the right thing and replace it?

norbs

Postby norbs » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:21 pm

DaveOZ wrote:What would you replace it with Norbs, assuming they don't do the right thing and replace it?

Either the new Contour or that Sony that has just been released.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:23 pm

The Sony looks very cool and they DO know how to make cameras. I'd be having a good look into the mounts though. :roll:

norbs

Postby norbs » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:35 pm

DaveOZ wrote:The Sony looks very cool and they DO know how to make cameras. I'd be having a good look into the mounts though. :roll:

What can you tell me? Their mounts no good?

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:40 pm

I've no idea, just after your experience with the GoPro mount.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:42 pm

Well the sony cam mount for bars
Image speaks well
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:50 pm

Anyone ever explored the option of using the iPhone to record video? I bought one of these cases while I was in Port Douglas and they have a nice bike mount. The guy in the bike shop suggested that some of his MTB mates had rotated the mount and used the iPhone for vids. Using the iPhone has advantages of being able to edit and upload direct from the phone or even live stream (Ustream). Battery life may be an issue, I might order the bike mount and give it a try.

http://www.indepthcases.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The case itself is excellent, very tough and waterproof.

herzog

Postby herzog » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:23 pm

Horses for courses. I'd suggest that the iPhone camera is not really suitable for this purpose.

The action cameras (Gopro, contour etc) have a much wider field of view, and deal well with shock and vibration, and rapidly changing light (eg MTB in and out of treecover)

Plus who wants to risk an 800 buck phone on their bars instead of a $200 shock resistant action camera?

herzog

Postby herzog » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:27 pm

Further to the above, On a skitrip in January with some mates, we made Youtube videos from onboard footage taken with both Gopros and iPhones.

The Gopro footage was fantastic, the phone video was pretty dreadful.

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:25 am

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but does anyone here use a polarisation filter with their camera? I just bought one for my Go Pro. Considering I use it mainly for sunny, glary days cycling or surfing it seems like it would be worth the $ (only cost $15 from Sports Camera website - Aussie company with lots of gear).
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:05 pm

For those of you who are familiar with the Imging camera equipped glasses (they've been mentioned in this thread a few times), they've just released a new model which looks a whole lot slicker than the original.

http://www.imging.com.au/

I've had mine on order for over a month now (waiting for the initial stock to arrive), and this afternoon they were finally waiting for me when I got home! :D :D :D

I'm just giving them a quick charge at the moment, then I'll jump on the bike for a short spin so that I can post a couple of sample videos for you.

Stay tuned ...

EDIT: For the sake of reference, here's what the original model looked like. It's a pretty vast improvement IMHO!

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:26 pm

DavidTomic wrote:For those of you who are familiar with the Imging camera equipped glasses (they've been mentioned in this thread a few times), they've just released a new model which looks a whole lot slicker than the original.

I've had mine on order for over a month now (waiting for the initial stock to arrive), and this afternoon they were finally waiting for me when I got home! :D :D :D

I'm just giving them a quick charge at the moment, then I'll jump on the bike for a short spin so that I can post a couple of sample videos for you.

Stay tuned ...
Can't wait to see, will be quite interesting. Fellow on Bentrideronline had a car all of a sudden reverse into him when he was behind it. Driver ended up doing a runner all caught on camera equipped glasses.
Could be quite the nice setup. Camera integrated glasses along with Go Pro Hero 2 rear facing. Kinda look like Oakley styled as well. Wouldn't suprise me if the frame is an Oakley as it's supplied with an Oakley case..
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

norbs

Postby norbs » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:59 pm

DaveOZ wrote:I've no idea, just after your experience with the GoPro mount.

Good news on that front. This from the latest email...

Hi Todd,

We can replace everything (camera, battery, housing, and handlebar/seatpost mount) except for the SD card.

I just issued the sales order for your replacement items. It should ship out by the end of the day tomorrow and get to you in about a week or so.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Pretty happy with that. :)

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:49 pm

norbs wrote:
DaveOZ wrote:I've no idea, just after your experience with the GoPro mount.

Good news on that front. This from the latest email...

Hi Todd,

We can replace everything (camera, battery, housing, and handlebar/seatpost mount) except for the SD card.

I just issued the sales order for your replacement items. It should ship out by the end of the day tomorrow and get to you in about a week or so.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Pretty happy with that. :)
Awesome news mate, well done.

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:16 pm

So ... I've just taken the new glasses for a quick spin, and the initial impressions so far are pretty good.

They fit pretty snugly, they don't wiggle or move around at all once they're on, and they generally seem quite sturdy.

Looking at some of the video, it does seem to pick up some noticeable vibration from the road, but I guess that's probably to be expected?!?

I might have a bit of a play with some video stabilisation software over the weekend and see how that fares.

The FoV is perhaps a little bit narrower than I would have liked in an ideal world. It's definitely not capturing everything that I'm seeing with my own eyes, but I'm honestly not sure haw that compares with other (similar) cameras?

If anybody's got any questions that they'd like to ask, then fire away and I'll see if I'm able to answer them for you.

PS - Video is uploading onto Youtube now, but my connection is painfully slow so it's going to take a little while [I'm stuck on an ADSL1 RIM (AT) 348k upload :( ]

EDIT: While we wait for the painfully slow Youtube upload, at least we can do a couple of screenshots (click to embiggen):

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:23 pm

norbs wrote: Good news on that front. This from the latest email...
Great news Norbs and good to hear they are looking after their customers.

norbs

Postby norbs » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:51 pm

DaveOZ wrote:
norbs wrote: Good news on that front. This from the latest email...
Great news Norbs and good to hear they are looking after their customers.

Certainly saves me from having a tanty. :)

Marto

Postby Marto » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:09 am

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:21 pm

OK ... so the video finally uploaded itself to Youtube yesterday, and not being a big user of it myself, I didn't realise that they actually had their own video stabilisation feature on the site.

I was curious to see how well it would work, so I enabled it and let it re-process the video for me.

While it definitely cut down on the vibration a lot, it also added some weird wavy effects to the video (expected, I know), so I thought that I might upload the original again so that people could see and compare both versions.

Problem is that the second (untouched) version has been stuck in "Processing" since last night, so something has obviously crapped itself on that video.

Anyways here's the first upload, which has had the Youtube stabilisation applied to it:

If the second version still hasn't sorted itself out by the morning, I'll try uploading it again so that you can compare the untouched video.

Questions / comments welcome ...

elStado

Postby elStado » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:14 pm

I'm impressed by the quality and the design. Footage it definitely clear enough to use as evidence if there was an accident, or even just to capture a fun downhill run.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:58 am

Oxford wrote:You have to change the 2nd video, they have checksums they do on all videos to avoid double loading of the same video. It will remain in processing until you find the message telling you the video already exists. Chop a 1 second chunk of the video to make it different. Then upload again.
Thanks ... I thought it was probably something like that, although it's daft that it just sits in processing for so long instead of giving some sort of meaningful error/message (FWIW - It's still "Processing", 48 hours after originally uploading it).

I've just done as you suggested and started another upload, so I'll post that up for comparison when it's done.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:16 pm

those glasses look cool! and so subtle! the gopro really stands out on the bike, not sure whether thats a good thing or a bad thing tho
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:48 pm

OK ... Here's the unstabilised version of the video.