How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

TailWind

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:34 am

Rode back via MYT/Darebin Creek Trail yesterday afternoon.
Encountered two absolute morons tearing down the shared path on trail bikes at high speed,just behind Northland shopping center. They were coming around a turn and saw me very late - I had obviously heard the screaming engines from a distance and was prepared. Still, I had to brake to a screeching halt to avoid a collision - they were racing next to each other on both sides of the path - could have been nasty.
It's not the first time that I have encountered trail bikes on the Darebin Creek Trail in this location - will need to do something about it, not sure what though. Phoning/writing it into the council will prob. not do much good?
Ok ride in this morning, bit of a headwind - let's hope it maintains the direction for an easy ride home.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Max

Postby Max » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:24 am

jasonc wrote:EDIT: damn bird in roma st parklands got me AGAIN GRRR
I got smacked in the head by a noisy miner there yesterday.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:31 am

Max wrote:

Max
that bird is a damn menace.

nice ride this morning. took it easy. a workmate joined our smaller than usual riverloop group. we cruised along. headwind in few spots. still nice weather

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:24 am

Was a great ride this morning......made it without hitting a truck this time

Body is still very sore, I think I have torn some muscles on my left side as a result of the accident last week...hurts to laugh or do most things, but pain killers help somewhat.

Bike came through with no damage luckily, think the basket that I had just bought two days prior saved it...basket is trashed tho and my backpack is back on my back. My helmet is also trashed, major cracks from front to back, but it saved my life I believe.

Was nice to be back riding, be it a lot slower.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:58 am

Max wrote:

Max
I got given a little brush again there this morning. I'm seriously ok with them as long as that's all they do. :o

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:03 am

gretaboy wrote:Was nice to be back riding, be it a lot slower.
good to hear you're back cycling (though it does suck for me getting up to P2)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:08 am

jasonc wrote:
gretaboy wrote:Was nice to be back riding, be it a lot slower.
good to hear you're back cycling (though it does suck for me getting up to P2)
+1
Welcome back - good to hear you didn't suffer any debilitating damage to body or bike!
*Cancels pub sessions for the next few weeks* :mrgreen:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:44 am

TailWind wrote: *Cancels pub sessions for the next few weeks* :mrgreen:
TW...think you have got P1 sewn up...so you can slack off a bit...1500 k's is too much to try and catch up this late in the year

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:50 am

gretaboy wrote:
TW...think you have got P1 sewn up...so you can slack off a bit...1500 k's is too much to try and catch up this late in the year
same goes for me

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:09 pm

Minimal attire this morning. No undershirt for the first time in months. Getting quite warm by the time i get in. Dropped chain just before arrival... will need to tweak the FD before the weekend. Trying to keep the legs fresh for Sunday's B2GC, but still being tempted by the odd Strava segment. Set a PB on Highgate Hill this morning... so the take it easy approach is not really working out.

WIll try a gentle Riverloop tomorrow morning I think. Still want to put in time in the saddle, just not tear up the legs

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:13 pm

Commuted on fresh legs this morning which was most enjoyable. Decided that it was time to have a crack at a short nasty climb segment and managed to knock 56 seconds of my previous PB. I'm thinking it might get another nudge tomorrow if I'm still feeling the love from my legs!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:31 pm

clydesmcdale wrote:Set a PB on Highgate Hill this morning... so the take it easy approach is not really working out.
hope you didn't beat my time up there.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:51 pm

jasonc wrote:
clydesmcdale wrote:Set a PB on Highgate Hill this morning... so the take it easy approach is not really working out.
hope you didn't beat my time up there.
I seriously doubt that

edit: just checked... i'm 4 secs behind

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:32 am

jasonc wrote:
gretaboy wrote:
same goes for me
There's almost 3 months' worth of riding left this year - so just over 500km per month above my distance to catch up...could be possible if I'm off the bike for a few days for unforeseen reasons :wink:

Anyway, rode back with a mate yesterday afternoon via the Moonee Ponds Creek Trail up to the Western Rind Road and headed up to the Epping trail, then across to Mill Park. The MPCT has a detour in place until 8 October, but it was still a pleasant ride. The Western Ring Road Trail, however, is a mess between Pascoe Vale Road and Sydney Road, requiring a detour through the suburbs and a 1km or so up Sydney Rd itself. Then another detour between Edgars Road and Dalton Road through an industrial and residential area.
Overall, a very pleasant ride though.
Uneventful ride into the Melbourne CBD this morning.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:53 am

met up with a mate this morning on the way to work - he wants to start riding. so he drove half way
all going ok til we go through the land st tunnel onto bicentennial bikeway. bikes coming from the right - i yell wait. he runs into the back of me and falls over
apart from a couple of scratches, he's ok (as is his bike)

Dean Whittle

Postby Dean Whittle » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:21 am

Earlwood to City (Sydney):

I rode in 4 days last week, took a break on Thursday after a slow Wednesday commute and some 'feedback' from my thighs about needing a rest day.

Came back on Tuesday after 3 days off the bike and blitzed my PB by 3.50, and on the way home was another good ride. I must have had the gods of traffic control on my side because I rarely hit a red light or had to stop for traffic.

Today on the other hand was different, still a good ride (in this weather how can it not be a good ride...) but a good couple of minutes slower because I missed some major traffic lights and had to wait a while ... but that's the luck of the draw.

Ride safe.
2012 Focus Planet TR 5.0

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:06 am

I have some horrible stomach bug & felt nauseous even before I left home - a couple of times I thought I was going to go all pro & puke on the side of the road. Unsurprisingly my commute was very slow, even by my already low standards. In fact it was so pathetic that I was sure I had been passed by a kid with streamers & spokey dokeys. :oops:

No video though, so it didn't happen :)

cameroncyc

Postby cameroncyc » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:08 am

New to the whole commute thing, and indeed riding thing, but have built a fixed gear for the 10km ride. Took me half an hour, a speed to be greatly improved, but feel good to be out on the roads, feels like being a kid again. Somehow managed to be riding into a headwind both directions though...
On the way home, got accosted by a young kid on an oversized and expensive fixie yelling 'Hey, old guy, nice fixie, do a skid..." By this stage, I was far from fresh, and far from being able to skid...maybe next time young chap, next time...

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:40 pm

I left work later than usual last night and feeling seriously tired. When I collected my bike from it's locker at the station there was a brisk tail wind blowing. Tiredness immediately gone and I possibly had my fastest ride home ever. The wind was blowing at 55 kph and gusting to 64 kph. :D Wooooohooooo
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:34 am

Beautiful afternoon yesterday in Melbourne. Stopped off at my old local to enjoy the weather with some refreshments before heading on to my brother's place, then home.
Tailwind into the Melbourne CBD this morning, pleasant temp as well.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:59 am

No riding for me for the next couple of days....pain has gotten the better of me.

Ride home was very sluggish and was just a sufferfest. So despite my mind/stubborness wanting to ride, I have listened to my body and am going to give it a break.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:16 am

Lovely little run in from Turramurra to Parramatta today. Nice weather for it - getting back into sunscreen territory for sure! Only 1 half-hearted magpie swoop too, so that was nice :mrgreen: Didn't feel that quick, but picked up about 4 PR's and a 5th overall on strava, which is always fun.

There's something about Browns waterhole that always lifts the spirits in the early morning. Beautiful spot, though with the recent hazard reduction it's not quite as pretty as before :roll: Wont take long to be back to nice and green though.

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:42 am

Ozkaban wrote:There's something about Browns waterhole that always lifts the spirits in the early morning. Beautiful spot, though with the recent hazard reduction it's not quite as pretty as before :roll: Wont take long to be back to nice and green though.
Ain't that the truth. Pretty cool on a winter's morning, but always a lovely tranquil place. On the way home the tranquility is clouded a little for me by the fact that it marks the bottom of the 4km climb up to the Pacific highway :shock: .

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:00 am

rdp_au wrote:Ain't that the truth. Pretty cool on a winter's morning, but always a lovely tranquil place. On the way home the tranquility is clouded a little for me by the fact that it marks the bottom of the 4km climb up to the Pacific highway :shock: .
That's why I said the early morning!!! I couldn't agree more about the afternoon run...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:01 am

did a TW style commute. went to daughters swimming lesson then to work
riding later it's definitely warmer