Batteries

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 22, 2008 9:51 pm

Kalgrm wrote:I will, but I don't think I'll have the batteries set up the way I want them. They shipped the order without the charger so I've only got the residual charge in them at the moment.
Okay, was hoping to get an idea of how they go. Enough charge for that do you think?

My night vision is not good, so really want to find a good light to try and counter that.

Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu May 22, 2008 10:03 pm

Yeah, I've got four batteries, so if one runs out, I'll simply swap it over.

I tried to buy the connections to fit my big battery pack tonight, but Tandy was useless. Heaps of male connectors of the right size, but not a single female one. :roll: It was like pay night in a Kalgoorlie pub .....

See you tomorrow evening.
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat May 24, 2008 12:54 am

wayno wrote:I just recieved this torch from Deals Extreme.....WOW it is bright.
How have you found it? Construction? Does it heat up? Used it on the bike?

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat May 24, 2008 2:37 am

[quote="Kalgrm"]I should point out that mine were the Cree Q5 torches, /quote]
Hi Graeme

I think you indicated tonight that you where using one battery in this light. Is that right? If yes, was it 18650? According to the page it uses 2 x CR123Rs.

Thanks
Andrew

cavebear2

Dinotte Headlight

Postby cavebear2 » Sat May 24, 2008 8:51 pm

'My night vision is not good, so really want to find a good light to try and counter that.'

Andrew,

Buy a Dinotte 200L light - (4 Cell Lithium Ion version)
currently $283.20 at c r c

Expensive, but one of the best things I've ever bought.
(A lot cheaper than a number of the top end lights)
3 modes in constant beam
High - Run Time 8hrs
Medium - Run Time 16hrs (good enough for all riding except high speed and dark wet nights)
Low - Run Time 32hrs (good enough when riding with a group not at the front)
Also has a variety of flashing modes.
Quality of engineering is extremely high. (Made in US)
Total weight 315gms (battery pack fits on top tube 230gms)
It also comes with helmet mount although I would want the 2 cell lithium for this purpose (less weight)

Cheers

Perry

wayno

Postby wayno » Sat May 24, 2008 10:18 pm

Aushiker wrote:
wayno wrote:I just recieved this torch from Deals Extreme.....WOW it is bright.
How have you found it? Construction? Does it heat up? Used it on the bike?

Andrew
I just did a test. With single 18650 battery it lasted 1 hour and gets fairly hot but I can still grasp it tight in the hand. The construction is fine (I do not have anything to compare it to) but it's a generic case used by alot of other torches so reflector may not be customised to the SSC P7 LED. The beam is narrow with a definite hotspot but the overspill is bright enough for it to be useful. I expect future versions of the P7 torch to be more refined with better heat sink to dissipate this powerful beast and better reflector to maximise the capabilities of this LED. The $1.95 bike mount from DX works fine although I use cable ties to keep the torch in place.

The light output is absolutely amazing....kicks ass over CREE which I have used at work.

I only use it for nightime interval training so 1 hour is fine for me.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun May 25, 2008 1:16 am

Aushiker wrote:
I think you indicated tonight that you where using one battery in this light. Is that right? If yes, was it 18650? According to the page it uses 2 x CR123Rs.

Thanks
Andrew
Yep, one 18650 in each torch. So as you saw it running, I'd apparently get 3 hours on full beam, who knows how many hours on the flasher, and with the ability to carry numerous $5 batteries (each giving three hours of high power lighting): enough power to ride the night away!

I estimate I would get ~6 hours of even brighter light with the bigger 4200 mAh 7.4v battery pack, too.

Perry,

I have directly compared these torches with my HID light, and the LED is much brighter. My HID cost me $350 and runs for 4 hours on the Li-ion battery pack. My new LED torch runs for 3 hours and cost less than $50. By the time I've made up a 4400mAh battery pack ($10) to give me 6 hours of run time, there will be no comparison between the systems. In my opinion, these new LED torches are much better value than my HID light.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun May 25, 2008 5:36 pm

I think Pushy has started a mini-revolution here...

I finally got my order off to DealExtreme yesterday morning. Can't wait to play with the kit.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:08 pm

It's difficult to explain how bright these are, so I've got some photos comparing the beam to my car headlights (Landcruiser 80 series wagon). Both bike and car are about 15m from my garage, but the bike lights are aimed up higher than I would normally point them: they need to point at the road surface to be effective.

Car lights only:

One torch only:

Two lights for maximum vision:

And looking at the car and bike together:

As you can see, even one light is enough to drown out the car's lights at the brightest point. Two is like daylight! :)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:06 pm

nice comparison, Graeme..

I've got all my batteries charged & bits in a pile ready to assemble things this weekend.

I'm planning to lightly lubricate the threads on my Ultrafire 602cs and replace the o-rings on the main case join and behind the glass for a bit more "splash" resistance.

Let the Ayup fanboy crowd have their polished expensive product. I love this solution :)
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.