Munda Biddi report - Mundaring -> Dandalup

damonik

Munda Biddi report - Mundaring -> Dandalup

Postby damonik » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:25 pm

As promised my Munda Biddi report from the long weekend just past.

Firstly, the ride I did is here

You may note that the Jarrahdale to Dandalup section doesn't exactly follow the Munda Biddi - That's because I got lost and and decided to make my own way there. I don't exactly regret it as it was still an enjoyable ride - plus the number of snakes I saw on the narrow trails had me rather gun shy by this point.

Total km's - 237
Total climbing - 2650m
Total snakes - 9 dugites
Total chocolate bars consumed - no idea!
Total amount of water drunk riding home on Monday into the northerly (AT) 15kmph - 5L

Day 1 - Mundaring to Wungong Campsite
77km's for this day with 1110m of climbing - Deep pea gravel made the going fairly tough but reached Wungong without dramas - Really enjoyable ride and Wungong is a great campsite.

Few pics of this ride:

Still amazes me that people use the Perth hills as a rubbish dump.

Wungong campsite

Stuart rolled in on his trike sometime in the evening but I was boring and was asleep by 7.30pm ;)

According to my phone, the temp dropped to 3 degrees overnight - Was nice and toasty in my thermals but the midnight pee-run was pretty quick!

Day 2 - Wungong to Dandalup Campsite
Approx 70km's and 990m of climbing

Wungong to Jarrahdale was a nice little ride through some great narrow tracks - I had the Jarrahdale burger which was an epically large burger, just what a hungry cyclist needs!

The route out of Jarrahdale was incredibly frustrating with really deep pea gravel and confusing signage - I ended up getting completely lost and retraced my route back to Jarrahdale and took Scarp Road to Dandalup - It was hot, I kept seeing massive dugites and I was running out of time to make it to the camp by the evening. By the way, the climb up Scarp Road is rather fun on a heavily loaded mtb!

A welcome sight and a nice swim

Dandalup campsite

The track leading to Dandalup was incredibly bad - it has been torn up by motorcyclists and was ridiculously steep at points - I spend a fair amount of time pushing my bike up the hills and cursing the person who designed this part of the track. However this was more than compensated for by the amazing views from the campsite and the fact I had the place to myself for the night :)

Day 3 - Dandalup -> Perth
90km's of pain

This was the hardest day - My legs were holding up well but pushing into the northerly from Mandurah to Perth was just brutal. Went through 5L of water and just ground my way home - Wasn't a happy man by the time I reached Perth.

Overall, great trip, really hard at points -sorry for the quick report but work is busy after a long weekend.

Damo
Specialized S-Works Roubaix (With electronic Ultegra, oooo the boogey man)

Baalzamon

Re: Munda Biddi report - Mundaring -> Dandalup

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:22 pm

I rocked up 5:30ish after getting dropped off on Jarrahdale Rd at the entrance to the Munda Biddi there.
I had the choice of 2 sleeping bags, with my experience at burns beach and knowing it was likely to be chilly I took my Exped Dreamwalker 450 :mrgreen:
Did I get cold, nope. Was the dreamwalker handy you bet, sometime in the night I had to go and undo the bottom, pop shoes on, bring it up to waist level and off I go keeping sleeping bag nice n toasty and myself nice n toasty. At one point I was too hot so I adjusted things so it was bearable.
Didn't get much sleep, but that always seems to be the case on my 1st night camping...
Wungong to Jarrahdale on a recumbent trike is doable but not recommended! Speed was low, at one point I was crawling up a hill at times doing 3kph and the rear tyre was slip grip and doing that every now and again. I had to stop a number of times to remove twigs from my rear drivetrain. I made the decision to abort attempt to get to dandalup when I knew my average speed would see me get there in the dark with no lights. A puncture put the nail in the coffin so I aborted at Jarrahdale.

From the sounds of things I'm glad I aborted when I did. Got home and this morning I noticed my rear tyre was flat, puncture fairy strikes again.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:57 am

Thanks for the sharing your report and photos. Sounds like a good ride even if it was a bit tough at times.

Andrew

GingaNinja

Postby GingaNinja » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:04 pm

Thanks for the ride report. I enjoyed reading it.
A mate and I tackled the Waterous loop starting in Dwellingup with an overnight in the Bidjar hut then back to Dwellingup.

A challenging but rewarding, at times hilly adventurous ride, with at least 3 intersections where we needed to consult the map as signs were missing/burnt.
lots of trees down which made it hard to pull the loaded bike and Bob trailer over. pretty tired when we hit the hut having covered 69km.
Hut was busy with 5 others there. Tank water was drinkable even with the colour browned by leaf litter in the tank.

Really loving that we have these great tracks in WA that we can access freely. Watching all the people in Nanga being charged to stay the night at a camping ground; I was stoked to realise that Munda Biddi and the huts is free to users. Just amazing having all these tracks mapped, signed and available.

Re: motorbikes. I hate that they rip up the track making it a pea gravel hell. I appreciate on the waterous loop the effort to stop motorbikes (i.e. chicanes on bridges that limit access). the track was in pretty good nick, with little to no evidence of motorbikes.

Funny thing was the number of cars on the unsealed tracks down Nanga way. lots of people sourcing wood to build their bonfires. hmmm. I had to shout out to one car that went past me that another cyclist was climbing the hill that the car was going to go down. a car careering towards me is not something I want to see as I struggle to climb up a pitted single vehicle track. little room to get off. my mate veared into the bush.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:09 pm

GingaNinja wrote:Thanks for the ride report. I enjoyed reading it.
A mate and I tackled the Waterous loop starting in Dwellingup with an overnight in the Bidjar hut then back to Dwellingup.
When did you do this? I am looking at revisiting the trail in a week or so but riding the loop from Lake Navarino.

Andrew

randyrob

Postby randyrob » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:00 pm

Nice Writeup, I think we passed you going the other way!

We hit it on the weekend too Dwellingup to Jarrahdale on Saturday ~90km and Jarrahdale to Mundaring Trail head on Sunday ~100km.

I think it was Ideal conditions, it had been raining hard all week and cleared up for the weekend.

Pics
https://plus.google.com/photos/11593493 ... 5KA08f_zQE

Gps Log
http://app.strava.com/rides/23553484

Cheers Rob.
Go fast and stop hard, it'll never catch on!

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:27 pm

randyrob wrote:Nice Writeup, I think we passed you going the other way!

We hit it on the weekend too Dwellingup to Jarrahdale on Saturday ~90km and Jarrahdale to Mundaring Trail head on Sunday ~100km.

I think it was Ideal conditions, it had been raining hard all week and cleared up for the weekend.

Pics
https://plus.google.com/photos/11593493 ... 5KA08f_zQE

Gps Log
http://app.strava.com/rides/23553484

Cheers Rob.
Well lets just say if you passed me you would definitely remember it! Faired recumbent trike I was riding.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:48 pm

Nice write-up damonik, looks like a fun weekend. I will have to give the Munda Biddi another go sometime - did Mundaring DEC office - Carinya overnight, and return a couple of years back as an absolute rank MTB noob with precisely NFI what I had signed up for. I thought I was going to die! My compadres on that trip have since done the rest of the trail over a week or so, and said that every other section combined was easier than the first. Heh.

Also: that Dreamwalker looks like the absolute duck's nuts 8)
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:17 pm

My trike at Wungong campsite, lost a water bottle few km's later :(
Camelbak podium big chill, think it happened when I tipped

randyrob

Postby randyrob » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:41 pm

Hey Baalzamon,

Yes you were kind of hard to forget :)

If your water bottle was a White Camelbak, you dropped it as you hit the road section not far from where we passed you, tough luck!

Cheers Rob.
Go fast and stop hard, it'll never catch on!

giantguy

Postby giantguy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:18 pm

Watching all the people in Nanga being charged to stay the night at a camping ground; I was stoked to realise that Munda Biddi and the huts is free to users
I was one of the many camping at Nanga during the weekend with my family and I remember seeing someone riding towing a BOB trailer cruise past.
I only got a chance to ride a few km's south of Nanga on the Munda Biddi before having to return to Nanga. I would love to ride longer sections in the future.

Has anyone ridden the track on long stretches by themselves ? I know its best to travel with at least one other person but it can be hard to find someone with the same interest, fitness and available time to do it ?

damonik

Postby damonik » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:29 am

giantguy wrote: Has anyone ridden the track on long stretches by themselves ? I know its best to travel with at least one other person but it can be hard to find someone with the same interest, fitness and available time to do it ?
The stretch I did over the weekend was the longest stretch I'd done solo, (other than 25km's or so with Stuart) Absolutely loved it - Had Dandalup camp to myself which was just bliss.

I also struggle to find people at my fitness level who would be able to manage the rides. I did Collie -> Donnybrook section a few weeks ago with a group of mates which was great fun but I found myself spending a lot of time waiting around which did grow boring.

Therefore, go do it solo, it's awesome :)
Specialized S-Works Roubaix (With electronic Ultegra, oooo the boogey man)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:22 am

giantguy wrote:Has anyone ridden the track on long stretches by themselves ? I know its best to travel with at least one other person but it can be hard to find someone with the same interest, fitness and available time to do it ?

Yes, well sort of and I would have done Nannup to Jarrahdale if I hadn't bailed at Donnybrook.

Andrew