Bike Gallery

rabobank89

Re: Bike Gallery

Postby rabobank89 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:06 pm

lucifuge wrote:Giant Defy Advanced 2 2012, size = small (46.5")

- Shimano XTR pedals
- Specialized Milano Gel seat
- replaced stock white handlebar tape with a black one

7.9kgs with the above changes.

Very nice.

I love giants but the small men's road frames always reminds me of a female bike with that top tube..

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:29 pm

I decided to get back into it on a semi-serious level, after many years of almost non-cycling. The kids are old enough to enjoy a pedal, so I've got this rig to go along with them:-

2001 Norco Storm MTB, which I upgraded to Deore XT F & R derailleurs.

I've also go the old girl, a 1989 Peugeot PE10DW Aubisque, with Shimano Exage group set (BioPace crankset) - yes in need of some TLC and no longer strictly original. I bought it when I was 17 and it was fine, but realised after about age 25 that the frame was too small for me and I didn't like the feeling propped over the front wheel, so it hasn't been out much in the past few years:-

So, to get back into it, I recently picked this rig up on Ebay. I probably paid too much for it, but wanted to keep the theme - to match my MTB. It is a 2002 Norco RD-2, with Ultegra groupset and it is VERY smooth and quick and LIGHT (compared to the Peugeot anyway!). First time with clipless pedals and I think I've got the hang of them after doing a heap of laps around my front driveway - I hope!!!

I'll try and rack up some k's over the summer:-

BTW - this site is fantastic - lots of good info and helpful people.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

mezla

Postby mezla » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:47 am

macca33 wrote:First time with clipless pedals and I think I've got the hang of them after doing a heap of laps around my front driveway - I hope!!!
Most common problem (I think) is that you forget you're in them, and you pull up at the lights, and just as you stop you try to put your foot down... and by the time you remember you're clipped in, you're on the ground in front of all the traffic :D

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:53 am

mezla wrote:
macca33 wrote:First time with clipless pedals and I think I've got the hang of them after doing a heap of laps around my front driveway - I hope!!!
Most common problem (I think) is that you forget you're in them, and you pull up at the lights, and just as you stop you try to put your foot down... and by the time you remember you're clipped in, you're on the ground in front of all the traffic :D
Been there, done that!!! Rather embarrassing!!

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:24 am

mezla wrote:
my rule is unclip early and unclip often. welcome aboard

mcaulidj

Postby mcaulidj » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:45 am

Hi All,

My new ride.

Really happy with how the build turned out.

Darren.

mezla

Postby mezla » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:33 pm

Bloody hell Darren... how much did that set you back?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:36 pm

mezla wrote:Bloody hell Darren... how much did that set you back?
probably one of those "if you have to ask, you can't afford it"

mcaulidj

Postby mcaulidj » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:23 pm

Wasn't that much.

Force group and bars from former ride. The frame is one of the Paris SDG deals they are doing for $1999 after trade in. They even let me keep my trade in :) It is an older Paris mould with 46HM3K Torayaca as opposed to 50 on the current Paris.

New wheels $1699 as I destroyed my DA C24 rear wheel just before I bought the frame. I think it looks good but you either like Pinarello's or hate them; it does however ride nicely and as with all Pinarello's you wouldn't buy if you were a weight weenie.

Cheers,

mezla

Postby mezla » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:33 pm

So, $3.7k not including groupset and bars! ~$5K value. Plenty! Hope you've got it insured, because it looks the goods :D

mcaulidj

Postby mcaulidj » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:54 pm

mezla wrote:So, $3.7k not including groupset and bars! ~$5K value. Plenty! Hope you've got it insured, because it looks the goods :D
That sounds about right. I guess it is all relative. It gets me riding and is something I can do that doesn't affect the family time too much as they are asleep when I leave and not really moving much before I get back. Previously I was a golfer and that really affected family time and had it's own expenses so cycling is more than supported by the family including the odd purchase :)

Darren

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:18 pm

mcaulidj wrote:Hi All,

My new ride.

Darren.
Ticks ALL the boxes. Well done! :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:52 pm

I might have to take up problem gambling to show how much better the investment is in high class hoo... cycling gear is =D

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:15 pm

Thought I might get around to contributing to this thread.

The weekday commuter

The race bike

Purchased second hand from the 'Bay $355 plus a few parts I had on the bike it replaced.

Cheers,

Cameron

padgero

Postby padgero » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:07 pm

New build, my dream bike, haven't ridden it yet but delighted with the build. Pegoretti Marcelo with alloy Athena and TWE wheels with Record hubs.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:37 pm

padgero wrote:haven't ridden it yet
:shock: What's wrong with you? I'd be developing nervous twitches if that was sitting in my garage waiting to be ridden. How can you even sit at your computer?

Pegoretti is a legend, and I hope to own one of his bikes one day.

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:42 pm

My new ride.

Darren.
Oh nice!

As you stated Pinny's can be a bit love or hate and I tend to be in the "not my thing" group but some Pinny's are beautiful and this is one of them.

Well done

Hughesy

Postby Hughesy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:14 am

At last got my bike today :-)

ImageImageImageImage

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:00 am

padgero wrote:New build, my dream bike, haven't ridden it yet but delighted with the build. Pegoretti Marcelo with alloy Athena and TWE wheels with Record hubs.

Ohhhhh. Soooo beautiful it deserves reposting :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

mcaulidj

Postby mcaulidj » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:03 am

Mulger bill wrote:Ticks ALL the boxes. Well done! :D
bosvit wrote:Oh nice!

As you stated Pinny's can be a bit love or hate and I tend to be in the "not my thing" group but some Pinny's are beautiful and this is one of them.

Well done
Thanks guys,

Was still a little unsure when I ordered the frame. Always wanted a Pinny when I was a kid but did not really like the look when I came back into cycling. Not sure what it is about them but i do agree that some look odd.

Darren

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:38 am

Nice, lacking in decals though!

My new ride.

Darren.

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:08 pm

ironhanglider wrote:Thought I might get around to contributing to this thread.

The weekday commuter

The race bike

Purchased second hand from the 'Bay $355 plus a few parts I had on the bike it replaced.

Cheers,

Cameron

that is awesome!!
Cervelo 2012 R5 VWD SRAM Red
TimeTrials Felt B12
Northern Beaches Cycling Facebook

padgero

Postby padgero » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:15 pm

What's wrong with you? I'd be developing nervous twitches if that was sitting in my garage waiting to be ridden. How can you even sit at your computer?
I am in a very lucky position that the frame is a gift but the downside is that I'm not allowed ride it until my birthday, given it is a particularly generous gift I'm not in a position to argue.

That said it isn't easy to have it sitting in the spare room.

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:33 pm

padgero wrote:
What's wrong with you? I'd be developing nervous twitches if that was sitting in my garage waiting to be ridden. How can you even sit at your computer?
I am in a very lucky position that the frame is a gift but the downside is that I'm not allowed ride it until my birthday, given it is a particularly generous gift I'm not in a position to argue.

That said it isn't easy to have it sitting in the spare room.
Ouch! That's harsh

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Had the day off so finally decided to re-build the commuter.

Added bull horn handle bars and 7800 Bar end shifters, changed the rear cassette to a 10sp Tiagra and a new 10sp Tiagra chain. Also added Tektro RL276 flat bar brake levers.

All the parts were sourced from ACF members except the bull horns that I got from here http://www.velogear.com.au/cycling/bike ... -bars.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Had the Trek 1000SL since late 2008 and have been using it mostly as a commuter ever since.

Not the prettiest bike on here by a long shot, but very practical.

Need to trim the front brake cable but over all doesn't look to bad for a first timer.

New cables and inners too.

I've got very broad shoulders so I went for the 44cm option. I've only been on a 2km shake down ride but the bars are a lot more comfortable than the old 40cm drop bars that came on it. Also getting rid of the 8sp Sora brifters has cleaned up the cockpit nicely.

So now only the frame, fork, stem (which I would love to change, hate the angle) and seat post are the only original things on the bike.