Seat recommendations

cameroncyc

Seat recommendations

Postby cameroncyc » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:11 am

Hi all,

I am looking for recommendations on a good seat for my build. I am building from a Repco Preset frame and have the original seat on it at the moment. So I know that it is a personal choice, but how do I make that choice, besides trying other people's who have different wear patterns etc. A few bits of info that might help...riding with flat bar, so mostly in the upright position, heavier rider at 90kg, and average ride length is around 10km for commuting to work on primarily flat roads. Looking, hopefully at the sub$100 budget.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Nobody

Re: Seat recommendations

Postby Nobody » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:19 pm

Probably more than you want to pay, but for riding like yours, probably one of the the most comfortable saddles money can buy.
Brooks B17 Imperial.
http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=35176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Opinion:
http://www.rivbike.com/Articles.asp?ID=318" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If that is too much money then a B17.
http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=11666" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Nobody on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:08 pm

These get a good rap:

http://www.this link is broken/charge-spoon-sa ... omo-rails/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On my mtb I have a Fi:!Z#^Eek! Aliante which I've been pleased with, despite unhappiness with other Fi:!Z#^Eek! saddles.
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cameroncyc

Postby cameroncyc » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:03 pm

Thanks for the recommendations, will check these out. The 9/10 satisfaction 'guarantee' for the Brooks is definitely a selling point, knowing my luck I will be the 1/10 derierre that which it doesn't suit :cry:
Now to justify the order to the other half, unfortunately the name Wiggle has been coming up on bank statements quite regularly...

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:47 pm

I weigh over 100KG, ride a flat bar and got a Brooks B17 Special. Great saddle. Biggest problem is the short rails which meant a new seatpost for me with a 30mm setback. It is very comfortable and I ride 18KM each way to work every day.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:33 pm

cameroncyc wrote:Thanks for the recommendations, will check these out. The 9/10 satisfaction 'guarantee' for the Brooks is definitely a selling point, knowing my luck I will be the 1/10 derierre that which it doesn't suit :cry:
Now to justify the order to the other half, unfortunately the name Wiggle has been coming up on bank statements quite regularly...
Cheapest place I know of for Brooks saddles at the moment is Bike24 in Germany. 50-something euros plus 20 euros delivery. If you are pretty upright you might find the wider sprung B67 comfortable - my son has that on the bike he rides to uni and I like it too. They have the B67, the B17 and the sprung version of the B17 called the Flyer all in basic configurations in the low 50s euros cost.

I have the B17 Imperial on one bike which was worn in within about 600-800km. I have a Team Pro for another project bike which I hope to start riding on very soon (but it seems quite narrow for my rear end). I'm half thinking of getting a B67 for my touring bike because I have a relatively upright position on that bike. I

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:40 pm

cameroncyc wrote:...knowing my luck I will be the 1/10 derierre that which it doesn't suit :cry:
Then you put it onto the marketplace here, it will sell :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:40 am

A few brands have a fitting & trial/test option through select dealers. Specialized do it through most (all?) branded shops I believe. They measure your sit bones then recommend a few saddles in the appropriate size (they have 3widths in most). You pay a deposit, take one for a week or so, swap it if necessary until you find the one that suits you.
I didn't realize how comfortable a saddle could be on a 3-4 hr ride until I got one that fit!
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:17 am

A brooks saddle on preset from bigw.? Saddle is worth more than the bike

cameroncyc

Postby cameroncyc » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:56 am

BRLVR.v2 wrote:A brooks saddle on preset from bigw.? Saddle is worth more than the bike
And.... :)

cameroncyc

Postby cameroncyc » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:01 pm

Cheapest place I know of for Brooks saddles at the moment is Bike24 in Germany. 50-something euros plus 20 euros delivery. If you are pretty upright you might find the wider sprung B67 comfortable - my son has that on the bike he rides to uni and I like it too. They have the B67, the B17 and the sprung version of the B17 called the Flyer all in basic configurations in the low 50s euros cost.

I have the B17 Imperial on one bike which was worn in within about 600-800km. I have a Team Pro for another project bike which I hope to start riding on very soon (but it seems quite narrow for my rear end). I'm half thinking of getting a B67 for my touring bike because I have a relatively upright position on that bike. I
Looks like they are 64.90 euros at the moment, Wiggle do have them for $101 with free delivery so that may be the better price. And if I apply a voucher I have, I won't go over the price of the bike for the seat alone...

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:14 pm

cameroncyc wrote:

Looks like they are 64.90 euros at the moment, Wiggle do have them for $101 with free delivery so that may be the better price. And if I apply a voucher I have, I won't go over the price of the bike for the seat alone...
When you look at the Bike 24 website, that includes VAT. You need to click on the word Germany (delivered to:) and change it to Australia then you see the real prices that I quoted above. They have a cut off somewhere round 500 or 600 euros for the amount of gear that can be posted for the one 19.95 euros postage charge then they charge an extra 19.95, although there was only one charge for the Rohloff hub I bought from them.

Not related to them except that their prices on some things are excellent. i usually wait till there are several things to buy at one time from one online shop, where that shop has good prices on those lines. You can't stick to just one retailer (though they'd love you to, and make a great profit on all the things they are less competitive on).

MilkRacer

Postby MilkRacer » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:19 pm

Selle Italia C2 gel from Chain Reation Cycles, about $65. Leather, Gel, and anatomical shape. Carbon injected base makes it light too. Bargain, buy 2. :lol:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:41 am

cameroncyc wrote:
BRLVR.v2 wrote:A brooks saddle on preset from bigw.? Saddle is worth more than the bike
And.... :)
As long as you are saving up for a new bike to go under your seat... Or maybe you can just tell people that anyway.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

PeteV

Postby PeteV » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:44 am

San Marco Rolls are a nice saddle as are the Selle Turbo. I'm a big guy too and use an old Turbo which suits my bum and size well.

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:54 am

I couldn't make friends with my B17 on the roadie, but really like it on my (soon to be SS) commuter. Very comfortable for ~10Km rides, especially wearing jeans, and looks good on a steel frame.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:36 pm

m@ wrote:I couldn't make friends with my B17 on the roadie...
Probably because it was a roadie. I had a problem with my B17 Imperial on the drop bar bike. Though the Pro suits the purpose well.

Unfortunately the Brooks site hasn't got easy to find general advice on what saddle suits what purpose best. Application appears to have much to do with handlebar position in reference to the saddle.