good long ride routes

blatant

good long ride routes

Postby blatant » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:51 pm

Hey all, struggling to find some decent rides
I'm in the south east and am looking for a 100km loop or out and back.
anyone care to share some ideas?
Road only - no trails thanks.

Obviously I could go on any roads but I guess I'm asking which roads are best for cyclists? It can be flat or hilly

singlespeedscott

Re: good long ride routes

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:06 am

South East of where?

blatant

Postby blatant » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:11 am

singlespeedscott wrote:South East of where?
Berwick.
I don't mind driving a short distance to get to a good location

VRE

Postby VRE » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:23 am

blatant wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:South East of where?
Berwick.
I don't mind driving a short distance to get to a good location
You mean you're located in Berwick, Victoria, or south-east of Berwick? If it's Berwick, I can probably suggest a few nice rides.

From Berwick to Tecoma (at the foot of the Dandenongs) is about 17km, and from there, you have heaps of scenic options (of course, there are plenty of hills around there, so hopefully you enjoy those :) ). From Berwick, Emerald is about 19km via Harkaway and Wellington Rds, or 22km via Beaconsfield-Emerald Rd, and from Emerald, again there are heaps of nice riding options.

ashleyk

Postby ashleyk » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:24 pm

I'm in Cranbourne and the route I find the best is going down Cranbourne-Frankston road.

It has a bike path all the way to Frankston (except for intersections, round-a-bouts, and peninsula link bridge). Once at Frankston you can get on Nepean Hwy and ride nealy all the way to Sorrento on a bike path.

This is about 140km's return.

Or once in Frankston, you can go the other way towards the city up Nepean Hwy and Beach Rd, but if you don't like busy roads with no bike lane then I wouldn't recommend it.

The third alternative is to do laps of the criterium at casey fields.

blatant

Postby blatant » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:48 pm

I am located in Berwick.

The crit track is free/open to public? I might check it out. I seriously hate traffic so anything with a bike lane/path or anything closed to vehicles is a win for me

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:49 pm

As VRE points out, there are lots of scenic, undulating rides in the Emerald/Belgrave/Cardinia areas, and you should check out some Mornington Peninsula rides too, going through Red Hill.

Putting your bike into a car or train generates lots of 100km options. :smile:

matt.blak

Postby matt.blak » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:05 pm

I live in Lynbrook and ride the Sth Gippsland Hwy, it has an emergency lane and it goes to Phillip Island, turn around when you have had enough.

Other good options are to ride to Pakenham then into West Gippsland - try the 150km route used in the slog : http://www.theslog.com.au/the-original-150km.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bikely also has a selection of routes: this is a 40km loop - http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/be ... re-berwick" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you don't mind hiils, the loop around Cardinia is good I usually go up via Harkaway Rd - Wellinngton Rd to Emerald and back via Upper Beaconsfield. Wellington rd is best early on the weekend, it get a bit of traffic during the week.

Lots of choices, only constraint is time.

Matt
Wilier GTR

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:59 pm

hey blatant, i live in Berwick, and have ridden with matt.blak a few times, can vouch for his routes, all good. Also, if you do get to look at bikely, i've got heaps of my routes on there, my username is nath2827. I'm pretty comfortable riding in traffic, so most of my routes contain some medium traffic roads. as someone who has lived in berwick for 12 months, and been cycling for 11 months, I can say it is a great suburb to start a ride from!
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

blatant

Postby blatant » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:42 pm

thanks for the responses
I was using mapmyride to find routes but didn't know bikely existed and it seems to have much better routes in the area,
I also didn't know the nepean hwy had a bike path. I might try to get frankston-sorrento and back on the weekend.