Oakley Prescription Lenses - where to buy?

sir_camel

Oakley Prescription Lenses - where to buy?

Postby sir_camel » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:47 am

So I recently bought some Oakley Jawbones which I love but am thinking of sourcing some prescription lenses for them, particularly for riding at dawn and dusk when my eyes aren't the best.

Where is the best place to source lenses? I'm about to jump ship from my current health insurance provider so want to use up my benefits on something before I swap.
Bikes Bikes Bikes

liamb

Re: Oakley Prescription Lenses - where to buy?

Postby liamb » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:11 am

I got original Oakley prescription lenses in my Hijinx from OPSM. The big killer is the lenses need to come from the US so the turn around is a while. In SA I have been mates with a worker at what used to be Solar Optical who produce lenses to suit anything, so possibly a different outlet might send the original Lenses away and get a copy made. I have done this with 4 different brands over the years, the lenses are a good fit but not perfect, where as with the originals with Oakley they are fitted in the factory built as new and are guaranteed so if something goes wrong you get new glasses/ lenses at no cost.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:25 am

Hi Sir Camel

I enquired about prescription lenses a while back for my Jawbones and in the end went to Just Spectacles who sorted the lenses out direct to Oakley.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

sir_camel

Postby sir_camel » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:31 am

Thanks guys.

MarkG - do you remember roughly what the $$ was from Oakley for the Jawbone lenses?
Bikes Bikes Bikes

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:24 am

They were about $200 mate - not cheap.
The only thing was, Oakley were the only ones who could make a prescription lense in that material, with the same thin size and curvature of the Jawbone lense.
If you look at the standard prescription lenses, not many are overly thin or curved - which is where Oakley step in.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

sir_camel

Postby sir_camel » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:28 am

Cheers. I have about $200 to spend from my health insurance so a set should do nicely!
Bikes Bikes Bikes

sir_camel

Postby sir_camel » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:19 pm

So I just went to OPSM and they said they can't get prescription Jawbone lenses? Whaaa?
Bikes Bikes Bikes

r2160

Postby r2160 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:25 pm

Pretty sure you can simply go direct to Oakley with a prescription.

Maybe pop them an email.

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

TonyDragons1

Postby TonyDragons1 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:51 pm

I have a set of Oakley Eyepatch 2's which I had perscription lenses installed by OPSM (Macquarie Park - Sydney).

They send the frames to Oakley in the US and took about 3 weeks. Cost was $320. But the lenses are perfect and even have tiny little Oakley "O" symbols ground into them.

Previous to this I had had Ray Bans installed with perscription lenses (which were ground in Australia) and they were not of the same quality but costs just as much!

blixpho

Postby blixpho » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:44 am

Since summer is coming up, I have also got some prescription oakleys as well. Apparently my prescription is too strong for oakley by a slight margin, so the optom adjusted it to the max that oakley allows for and put some test glasses on me. Seemed fine, they are not going to be my everyday glasses so slightly weaker is ok for me. They did say however that oakley will be upgrading their lenses next year to allow up to 8.0 prescription (so all you coke bottle prescriptions can get on it too).

Here is what I was quoted from OPSM for those of you who are considering.

I had all these quoted for the Oakley twoface (lifestyle sunnies - not sure if this makes a difference on lens pricing):

Frames: $250
Gold Iridium Lenses - $160 each
Gray Polarized - $210 each

I went with the Gold iridium, hopefully they will arrive in a a week or two. With helath rebate, racv discount and a $100 gift card i was only out of pocket $130 :)

DuncanS

Postby DuncanS » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:55 pm

If you are in Perth, I had great service from Knapp Optometrists. Just next to the Trinity Arcade exit on St George's Tce. Not the cheapest for the opto appointment but the actual price of frames and lenses after health rebate was palatable and OPSM were clueless. I went with Transitions clear to black for winter/dusk/night. Fantastic. I already had VR28 Polarised Iridium for Summer. Fantastic.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:16 pm

I'm 100% sure it makes a difference. I was quoted total 700 by OPSM in Sydney for Radarlock with prescription. Seems to be par for the course, based on what my cousin has done in the past. Health fund rebate+++++++++

If you know your needs, you can get them done in the USA. Much cheaper all around - remember that Oakley does all their lenses in the same factory, OPSM isn't getting their own lenses done.

r2160

Postby r2160 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:01 pm

Hi

In San Francisco at present. The Oakley store in Union square has a section specifically for prescription lenses. Maybe pop them an email and just deal direct.

Cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong