I want a new bike but dont need one.......

jpgibson

I want a new bike but dont need one.......

Postby jpgibson » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:36 pm

Need some advice....quick.Where else would you turn to but a world of like minded strangers.
My dilemma: I had a nice roadie ( Wilier Izoard 2009) but decided a MTB would be a better commuter ( 150km/wk).I bought a 2009 BMC Team Elite 02 secondhand.Now its got Schwalbe Marathon somethings on it and Ive changed the Fox forks for 'normal' ones.Its pretty light,I guess less than 10kg.I really like it BUT I'm in my work triathlon ( well just the ride) on Sunday and although I didnt think I was competitive, clearly I am,because I want to beat my time of last year ( on the Wilier) , but I doubt it'll happen on the MTB.
So, given my wife's away for the weekend , and Ive got till Sunday, I need a bike. I want to buy a secondhand one 'cos itll be only for sunny days ( the BMC will continue as commuter).I missed out on two Cervelo S2's ( one sold for $350!!!! and one for $850 or less).I need at least a 56cmm TT and so choices are limited.
I am thinking of a 2007 Cervelo R3 ( which is 'like new' ) and will be somewhere around $1500.I'm a bit worried about frame issues with this ( BB cracks), but for the money its a great bike AFAIK.Other options are a Bianchi Via Nirone for less than $900.Or I could be strong and do nothing.
Am I being a nob?
Feel free to flame
jonathan

zero

Re: I want a new bike but dont need one.......

Postby zero » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:42 pm

I have a road bike and an MTB. Its a very common disease, with no known cure.

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:43 pm

Step 1, eBay.
Step 2, search "road bike"
Step 3, <$500

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:41 pm

The correct number of bikes to own is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:06 pm

Crowz wrote:Step 1, eBay.
Step 2, search "road bike"
Step 3, <$500

Mmmm! I saw a Cervelo S5 today, new object of desire. I don't need one - but it's a work of art. :D

Good luck on eBay to find one. Otherwise you might be headed to an LBS to buy a new one. :mrgreen:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:22 pm

bychosis wrote:The correct number of bikes to own is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned.
Exactly. As an example, i have a race bike, an 'epic' bike (triple cranks and MTB derailleur), a fast single speed, a commuting single speed, a shopping bike, a fast hardtail MTB, a cruising hardtail MTB, a dual suspension, a steel bike with friction shifters on the downtube, a steel bike with friction shifters on the stem, a steel bike with indexed downtube shifters, and then there's another dozen or so that are awaiting restoration and categorization/justification :D .

Incidentally, every one of those was 2nd hand, and none of them cost more than about $700 to complete (the shopping bike has cost a grand total of $0 :) ).
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

jpgibson

Postby jpgibson » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:29 am

drove to Bowral yesterday and picked up a mint Cannondale Six13 with full ultegra. Beautiful and oh, so comfy and quick.Very happy.All for $1K. :D

boss

Postby boss » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:13 pm

Awesome buy!

Matt_Matt

Postby Matt_Matt » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:03 pm

jpgibson wrote:drove to Bowral yesterday and picked up a mint Cannondale Six13 with full ultegra. Beautiful and oh, so comfy and quick.Very happy.All for $1K. :D
Photos or it didn't happen ... :wink:

jpgibson

Postby jpgibson » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:09 pm

here goes

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I had a Wilier Izoard which was nice but this is awesome- extremely smooth on the (terrible) Sydney roads.I've put 25mm Gatorskins on it but I cant believe the 2mm makes a big difference.Very very happy.