I love my bike

eldavo

I love my bike

Postby eldavo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:41 pm

First post for the sub-forum?
Well I forget the brand he rides but Mark Cavendish in 2011 (aka Year of the Cadel) said "I love my bike".
That sound bite always comes to mind when enjoying a ride. My first all carbon, first Specialized, for first post in the sub-forum I couldn't miss the chance to say it (Cav video edit to be inserted)

2008 S-Works Roubaix SL frameset and S-Works crank with carbon crankarms, then DIY commuter frankenstein for the rest of it.

santacruzscott

Re: I love my bike

Postby santacruzscott » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:56 am

Same frame , slightly different build.......... :lol:

Hughesy

Postby Hughesy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:54 am

santacruzscott wrote:Same frame , slightly different build.......... :lol:

Nice bike :D

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:08 pm

I have the same Quickstep Sworks frame but again a different build, coincidently it is also my ride to work each day 57k round trip.

2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:18 pm

eldavo wrote:2008 S-Works Roubaix SL frameset and S-Works crank with carbon crankarms, then DIY commuter frankenstein for the rest of it.
Does it eat lycra-clad MAMILs for breakfast?

I love it too. :lol:

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:48 am

Nice!

In some countries though...this might cause a violent protest and riots.
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:59 pm

I prefer the looks of the drop bars, Zipp wheels are the winner though I think.
I only recently realised drops aren't like they used to be, with hoods now so people can be as comfy as a flat bar.
I'm looking for a flat foot stretched cruiser at the moment, so decided for Freaky Friday to try some similar ladies cruiser bling chrome and steel on for size. Back to back it's worse control than the flat bar riser, and negative degree below level it's not comfy at the moment, so will try mirroring with positive angle above level for trip home.

I call it the Pink Triangle now, multiple levels including Weezer reference.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Triangle_%28song%29

I don't know about some countries, the Australian Christian Lobby are doing well here.
http://www.acl.org.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With my other bike I thought why not promote the best of both worlds? Have your cake and sausage too. Queue some Bowie.

Back to original topic, does anyone recall the ad with Mark Cavendish ending "I love my bike"?
Google says he was on a Specialized that year, so I presume the team was and that was the team ad, but haven't found it so far.

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:18 pm

He was riding for HTC Highroad at the time. I luuuuuuuveee mah new boike. Have had a look around but havent found the advert for you.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:26 pm

Yeah I found some HTC team ads, will look some more some time.

Your bike looks fast enough to chase down that red arrow before the year's end :twisted:

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:27 pm

eldavo wrote: Your bike looks fast enough to chase down that red arrow before the year's end :twisted:
Ill give it a good shake but a lazy period during the middle of the year has made for a big gap and some busy days coming up will make completing the usual 56k commute a little more difficult.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Sat May 18, 2013 9:50 am

Hey eldavo

I'm thinking of swapping the drops for flats on my roubaix. Did you do the change yourself or through the LBS?
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sat May 18, 2013 12:18 pm

I did it myself but started with stock frame and crankset, gear set from my downhill bike 1x9. New cables from LBS. Various bars and grips from my own previous bike spares.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Sat May 18, 2013 5:18 pm

No problems with the geometry issues that many people mention when I ask people about it?

Some say its fine to do it and a few say no, making the swap isn't a good idea?

I'm guessing that it depends on each individual and their fit to their bike.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:57 pm

Sorry Walrus been meaning to reply, it could be a mega discussion, simply as you said depends an a lot of things and down to the individual weighing all those up.
For me no I don't have any issues with it.

Generally in life I think understanding and diagnosing and defining the problem is shortcut to general solutions or trial and error (usually ones involving more consumption).
I'd suggest hunting good bike fit/assessment professional based on your body and your bike, then if adjustments of that tool (bike) aren't workable look at other tools (bikes) that meet the good bike fit requirements for you. Don't go into analysis paralysis though!

My commute km's are on a specific repeated route of specific variations and conditions, and would have drastically different needs if living/travelling in the opposite direction to the city. I wouldn't say what's best for me on this side of the fence would stay the same on the other, so how internet experts can make the right assumptions and tell me what changes I need always entertains me. Only once in real life had an absurd equivalent while riding an electric bike I had someone on the road pass me and tell me my seat height was too high. He seemed genuinely intending to help but obviously made the wrong set of assumptions as I happened to pass him on the next small freeway overpass elevation. Take people with a pinch of salt, apply a generous dollop of intellectual integrity, and a dash of humour.

PS: Here's a factory flatbar Roubaix, Sirrus Limited, not what I wanted for numerous personal reasons of ergonomics, aesthetics, economics.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/pacific- ... 1018931830" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

djw47

Postby djw47 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:16 pm

eldavo wrote:First post for the sub-forum?
Well I forget the brand he rides but Mark Cavendish in 2011 (aka Year of the Cadel) said "I love my bike".
That sound bite always comes to mind when enjoying a ride. My first all carbon, first Specialized, for first post in the sub-forum I couldn't miss the chance to say it (Cav video edit to be inserted)

2008 S-Works Roubaix SL frameset and S-Works crank with carbon crankarms, then DIY commuter frankenstein for the rest of it.

Cav was rising for the HTC team on a Specialized (see http://road.cc/content/news/28956-first ... eam-videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) in 2011. What were you thinking putting so much rubbish on such a beautiful frame? That's vandalism imho.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:36 pm

Thanks that is the video series, closer but not the 'i love my bike' ad.

The Roubaix is no longer a commuter, hasn't been ridden much more than one token summer ride this year so is being re-birthed as a rare recreational ride.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:19 am

eldavo wrote:Sorry Walrus been meaning to reply, it could be a mega discussion, simply as you said depends an a lot of things and down to the individual weighing all those up.
For me no I don't have any issues with it.

Generally in life I think understanding and diagnosing and defining the problem is shortcut to general solutions or trial and error (usually ones involving more consumption).
I'd suggest hunting good bike fit/assessment professional based on your body and your bike, then if adjustments of that tool (bike) aren't workable look at other tools (bikes) that meet the good bike fit requirements for you. Don't go into analysis paralysis though!

My commute km's are on a specific repeated route of specific variations and conditions, and would have drastically different needs if living/travelling in the opposite direction to the city. I wouldn't say what's best for me on this side of the fence would stay the same on the other, so how internet experts can make the right assumptions and tell me what changes I need always entertains me. Only once in real life had an absurd equivalent while riding an electric bike I had someone on the road pass me and tell me my seat height was too high. He seemed genuinely intending to help but obviously made the wrong set of assumptions as I happened to pass him on the next small freeway overpass elevation. Take people with a pinch of salt, apply a generous dollop of intellectual integrity, and a dash of humour.

PS: Here's a factory flatbar Roubaix, Sirrus Limited, not what I wanted for numerous personal reasons of ergonomics, aesthetics, economics.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/pacific- ... 1018931830" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the reply...my bike is doing nothing so this idea is still very appealing to me. I'm happy on my MTB for fitness rides and I don't commute so this would be for fun/fitness and the hell of it...that or sell it and get 'not much'

For me drop bars are more than just a style of handlebar...they feel like a statement to me

RideLikeTheWind

Postby RideLikeTheWind » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:51 am

I have posted the build in The Shed - but I thought I would post this here too - I love my bike!

Specialized Tarmac Elite frame with full Ultegra with Gore Pro, Praxis BB adapter, Fulcrum 3 Racing and Easton bits, Fizik saddle. Awesome ride and a massive upgrade to my previous machine.

Specialized Tarmac - finished! by iridelikethewind, on Flickr

Datto1600

Postby Datto1600 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:27 am

RideLikeTheWind wrote:I have posted the build in The Shed - but I thought I would post this here too - I love my bike!

Specialized Tarmac Elite frame with full Ultegra with Gore Pro, Praxis BB adapter, Fulcrum 3 Racing and Easton bits, Fizik saddle. Awesome ride and a massive upgrade to my previous machine.

Specialized Tarmac - finished! by iridelikethewind, on Flickr
nice:)
Specialized Tarmac sl 2
Specialized Carve Expert

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:51 am

Indeed very nice, if it were mine I'd like to see the Red Fulcrum Racing Zero on there, can't have enough colour IMHO ;)

RideLikeTheWind

Postby RideLikeTheWind » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:57 am

Thanks!
eldavo wrote:Indeed very nice, if it were mine I'd like to see the Red Fulcrum Racing Zero on there, can't have enough colour IMHO ;)
LOL me too - but I couldn't justify the $ :)

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:12 pm

I think that qualifies as a legitimate tax deductable charity we can donate to... or at least a Kickstart project =D

RideLikeTheWind

Postby RideLikeTheWind » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:35 pm

I like the sound of that!

barney all fixed

Postby barney all fixed » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:49 pm

yes i love my bike as well a 2011 transition pro red white colours and seeking a nice set of carbon clinchers to finish my sexy toy.
and just getting into some training and want to try some triathlons or bi athlons to start with but this specialized is as sexy as a p3 cervelo ........nah better than a cervelo sorry cervelo fans
and craig enjoys it on m7 or out to camden !!!

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:18 pm

eldavo wrote:First post for the sub-forum?
It's had some blingy and weenie upgrades (6.7kg now), less DIY commuter frankenstein more easy cruiser 1x9 road gearing. Images below link to image gallery.

- new Dura Ace SL-BS77 9sp bar end shifter (right/rear only)
- new Paul's Thumbie for it
- used tuned Dura Ace RD-7700 as 9sp
- new road cassette
- new KMC ultra light 9sp chain
- new Planet Bike Ultra Light CNC brake set (front only)
- new spare front brake lever
- new spare On One Mary alu bar
- new spare 60mm light Uno stem
- new spare WTB Volt seat NiCro tubular rails

Got it out in the rare clear blue sky yesterday morning and had fun testing it up and down the road.
Shifter in friction mode gives it a lazy cruiser feel that suits the bike. A real trip down to high school cycling memories so may stay.
The indexing needed the square base mount rotated 90 degrees as it was out of phase, so it's on indexed now and can set a pace. It doesn't have the spin climbing gearing I normally ride with, but has enough to mash through.

Image links to the slideshow: