The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Rude Riders Giving Others A Bad Name

Postby rkelsen » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:18 am

I see it every day.

And I'll admit to being a little less courteous than I should be sometimes.

On a day like today when there are a lot more people out walking, jogging and cycling, it is very difficult to be 100% courteous to everyone when you have to get to work and they're meandering all over the path in front of you.

Mind you, I dunno where all these people have been for the past few months...
User avatar
rkelsen
 
Posts: 4384
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:41 pm

by BNA » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:33 am

BNA
 

Re: Rude Riders Giving Others A Bad Name

Postby adrian_d » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:33 am

damhooligan wrote:Try searching for the thread dumb cyclist.

As for the title.... please. .
Rude people are everywhere.
They di not represent all cyclists...

mods??... merging this with the dumb cyclists thread???


If the mods could merge my thread that would be fantastic. I should have done a better search sorry.

They are definitely a minority as i've had awesome fun

Whats the general concensus with waving and saying hi to riders as they go past? i've had 1 in 6 reply back with a "good day". Maybe i'm just strange lol
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)
User avatar
adrian_d
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Rude Riders Giving Others A Bad Name

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:52 am

Mods, please feel free to merge my reply into the other thread too if you feel this whole thing should be merged.

Otherwise - I generally find most other riders are really friendly and say hello. It never ceases to amaze me, even though some of them might be pushing up a long hill, they don't mind saying hello. :) The cool thing is talking back while looking absolutely at ease, no huffing or puffing and not looking like you are even breaking a sweat. :lol:

There will be some riders out there who have the race-face on, but I don't see too many of them, most of the ones I come across are totally and absolutely top people, very cool. :)

On the topic of sharing the paths, you'll get better at using less space when you have more confidence at riding smoothly. More time riding will gain that.
g-boaf
 
Posts: 5011
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Rude Riders Giving Others A Bad Name

Postby adrian_d » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:15 am

I had this awesome dude meet me at the lights and was sure to comment on my baby blue and white colour scheme on the single speed bike I was riding. He was also following behind me and talking as we were riding on Beach Road. Boy that was tense, i had pushed myself so much as I was struggling to keep to a constant speed as he was. I could see the shadow of his wheel behind me.

I was maintaining an average speed of around 36km an hour for about a minute which I found very difficult. haha
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)
User avatar
adrian_d
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jules21 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:42 pm

today's award goes to....

Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 9181
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: Rude Riders Giving Others A Bad Name

Postby biftek » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:57 pm

rkelsen wrote:I see it every day.

And I'll admit to being a little less courteous than I should be sometimes.

On a day like today when there are a lot more people out walking, jogging and cycling, it is very difficult to be 100% courteous to everyone when you have to get to work and they're meandering all over the path in front of you.

Mind you, I dunno where all these people have been for the past few months...


so let me get this straight , we want cars to give us cyclists more space , more time , stop being so impatient , but when it is others holding cyclists up they should get of the way ???
biftek
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:57 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Howzat » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:27 pm

m@ wrote:Given the amount of cycle traffic, the best solution would've been to continue the bike lane along the left-hand side of Commonwealth Ave and require traffic entering from Parks Way to give way to cyclists (though that's another 11/10 skill for drivers hereabouts).

That's still the case isn't it - that vehicles from Parkes Way have to give way to cyclists on Commonwealth Ave? (Assuming drivers take the time to look for them, of course.)
jules21 wrote:today's award goes to....

:shock: next up, a Darwin award for that guy.
User avatar
Howzat
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Rude Riders Giving Others A Bad Name

Postby birdbrain » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:40 pm

Anyone else got a story like that? A fellow cyclist being less courteous than desired?


No.
Image
User avatar
birdbrain
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:16 pm
Location: tulla melb

Re: Rude Riders Giving Others A Bad Name

Postby rkelsen » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:02 pm

biftek wrote:
rkelsen wrote:On a day like today when there are a lot more people out walking, jogging and cycling, it is very difficult to be 100% courteous to everyone when you have to get to work and they're meandering all over the path in front of you.

so let me get this straight , we want cars to give us cyclists more space , more time , stop being so impatient , but when it is others holding cyclists up they should get of the way ???

No mate. I try to be as courteous as I can, but some people make it very difficult. That's all I'm saying. Don't read more into it.
User avatar
rkelsen
 
Posts: 4384
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby m@ » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:31 pm

Howzat wrote:
m@ wrote:Given the amount of cycle traffic, the best solution would've been to continue the bike lane along the left-hand side of Commonwealth Ave and require traffic entering from Parks Way to give way to cyclists (though that's another 11/10 skill for drivers hereabouts).

That's still the case isn't it - that vehicles from Parkes Way have to give way to cyclists on Commonwealth Ave? (Assuming drivers take the time to look for them, of course.)

I think you're thinking of the west-bound Parks Way intersection (where they have to give way)... Lots of 'creepers' there!

East-bound traffic exiting Parks joins the ramp coming off London Cct, which joins Commonwealth Ave just north of the bridge over Parks. The southbound bike lane on Commonwealth just peters out and you're probably expected to dismount and walk across the ramp (which is now two lanes with a zip merge right at the end); but everyone tries to pick a gap and move across to re-join the bike lane on the left.

Most drivers are pretty good at letting you cross provided you're moving at a reasonable clip and don't hold them up... but now will be preoccupied with merging with each other. And when someone decides not to let you in, you're stuck riding into a diminishing triangle between two merging lanes of traffic (at said fair clip).
harmonix1234 wrote:Forecast for Hobart next week is rain, sleet, ice and all kinds of hell.
HTFU harmonix.
User avatar
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 4719
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: Northlandia

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Howzat » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:36 pm

m@ wrote:East-bound traffic exiting Parks joins the ramp coming off London Cct, which joins Commonwealth Ave just north of the bridge over Parks. The southbound bike lane on Commonwealth just peters out and you're probably expected to dismount and walk across the ramp

Yeah I see what you mean. Nothing is worse than bike lanes that peter out.

I can see the traffic engineers presenting this plan - "Cyclists will just, uh, disappear at this point and rematerialise at the bike lane 200m up ahead" - to a sea of nodding heads.
User avatar
Howzat
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby adrian_d » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:46 pm

Howzat wrote:
m@ wrote:East-bound traffic exiting Parks joins the ramp coming off London Cct, which joins Commonwealth Ave just north of the bridge over Parks. The southbound bike lane on Commonwealth just peters out and you're probably expected to dismount and walk across the ramp

Yeah I see what you mean. Nothing is worse than bike lanes that peter out.

I can see the traffic engineers presenting this plan - "Cyclists will just, uh, disappear at this point and rematerialise at the bike lane 200m up ahead" - to a sea of nodding heads.


Its the usual thing for them to end up in an ambulance from those scenarios :(
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)
User avatar
adrian_d
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Biffidus » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:52 pm

adrian_d wrote:I can see the traffic engineers presenting this plan - "Cyclists will just, uh, disappear at this point and rematerialise at the bike lane 200m up ahead" - to a sea of nodding heads.

Its the usual thing for them to end up in an ambulance from those scenarios :(

I now have a very pleasant mental image of the traffic planner being set upon by angry cyclists and being carried away in an ambulance.

I regularly have to dodge dog walkers (off-lead and lead-across-the-path varieties), slow people who veer side to side as they walk and then react comically to a bicycle bell (not the air-zound, I swear) and the occasional older asian gentleman practicing Tai Chi on the shared path (I kid you not). On the road I'm lucky to find a bike path that isn't full of pot holes or parked cars.

Good times :P
Last edited by Biffidus on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Biffidus
 
Posts: 691
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:20 pm
Location: RADelaide

Re: Rude Riders Giving Others A Bad Name

Postby Livetoride » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:06 am

rkelsen wrote:I see it every day.

And I'll admit to being a little less courteous than I should be sometimes.

On a day like today when there are a lot more people out walking, jogging and cycling, it is very difficult to be 100% courteous to everyone when you have to get to work and they're meandering all over the path in front of you.

Mind you, I dunno where all these people have been for the past few months...

Probably hiding away from the cold n rain :D
Happy Days
User avatar
Livetoride
 
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: South Eastern Melbourne

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby bychosis » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:02 am

You really have to wonder at some people. Went for a quick pedal before work today and saw a dumb jogger. Jogging on the road, on a roundabout, no shoulder lane, over the kerb from grassed park, 15 paces from a shared pathway along the foreshore. I didn't see where she ended up, but it looked like she was going to jog along the fogline past a row of parked cars. Also dressed in black, running with the traffic ie back to oncoming traffic.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
User avatar
bychosis
 
Posts: 3001
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:08 am

bychosis wrote:You really have to wonder at some people. Went for a quick pedal before work today and saw a dumb jogger. Jogging on the road, on a roundabout, no shoulder lane, over the kerb from grassed park, 15 paces from a shared pathway along the foreshore. I didn't see where she ended up, but it looked like she was going to jog along the fogline past a row of parked cars. Also dressed in black, running with the traffic ie back to oncoming traffic.


saw a runner I see regularly running over the bike-only path on the inner city bypass bridge (there is a separate path for bikes/peds)
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6769
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby herzog » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:44 am

bychosis wrote:You really have to wonder at some people. Went for a quick pedal before work today and saw a dumb jogger. Jogging on the road, on a roundabout, no shoulder lane, over the kerb from grassed park, 15 paces from a shared pathway along the foreshore. I didn't see where she ended up, but it looked like she was going to jog along the fogline past a row of parked cars. Also dressed in black, running with the traffic ie back to oncoming traffic.


Probably in the zone
User avatar
herzog
 
Posts: 1827
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby longshanks » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:25 am

The dumb cyclist was me this morning. Note to self: Never ever undertake a slow moving vehicle that looks for all money like they are somewhat lost. Said vehicle was inching its way along the street then without indicating turned left just as i was at the middle pillar. I took evasive action then proceeded with giving myself uppercuts the rest of the way into work. Dumb dumb dumb.
longshanks
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:09 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Xplora » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:12 am

Epic fail action as I was going under the rail bridge at UWS in Parramatta today... flatbar coming the other way cut the corner, and we touched after a couple mind changes from both of us. No crash but that guy will NEVER cut the corner again... you can't do the wrong thing, ride too fast AND listen to your iPod at the same time :lol:
User avatar
Xplora
 
Posts: 7094
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby orbeas » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:38 am

A note to cyclist with good quality very bright lights, ADJUST them so their not blinding other cyclist as they may cause an accident ..a perth freeway north bike path rider
end rant
Orbea Euskaltel:Ultegra,Durace,RS80
Orbea Erandio Hybrid
orbeas
 
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:06 pm
Location: Perth. WA

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Missy8787 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:20 am

I am only new to cycling, but even l know to "keep left" on bike paths. I was out on a community bike ride with my partner last weekend and this poor cyclist who was not part of our group was coming towards us and heading in the opposite direction.

All the organizers (who are volunteers) would yell out that we had someone on coming, immediately you should move to the left when safe and keep an eye out in front of you. This poor bloke who saw the two women in front of me side by side on the bike path, very nicely yelled "excuse me!" over and over until he almost collided with them and was run off the path. She seemed so oblivious that he was even there. She didn't even turn around to look at him, just kept pedaling. Poor bloke. He was fuming afterwards, l don't blame him!
User avatar
Missy8787
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:48 pm
Location: Western Sydney

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:27 am

Oh that's normal - the riders going side by side who refuse to go single file when someone is coming the opposite direction. :roll: It used to make me a bit nervous when I had to pass them in windy conditions at first. Now I don't mind so much - but it's still not nice.

Keep left unless overtaking signs might be good on bike paths. We also need more signs instructing people that should keep their dogs on short leashes. Not these 4 metre long things. I've not had too many issues with dogs recently though - and I hope I'm not jinxing things by saying that.
g-boaf
 
Posts: 5011
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby redned » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:34 am

They shouldn't be side-by-side at all. In WA (and maybe other states) you shoudn't be two abreast on a shared path or cycle path.
redned
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:45 pm

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:46 am

Missy8787 wrote:I am only new to cycling, but even l know to "keep left" on bike paths. I was out on a community bike ride with my partner last weekend and this poor cyclist who was not part of our group was coming towards us and heading in the opposite direction.

All the organizers (who are volunteers) would yell out that we had someone on coming, immediately you should move to the left when safe and keep an eye out in front of you. This poor bloke who saw the two women in front of me side by side on the bike path, very nicely yelled "excuse me!" over and over until he almost collided with them and was run off the path. She seemed so oblivious that he was even there. She didn't even turn around to look at him, just kept pedaling. Poor bloke. He was fuming afterwards, l don't blame him!


this solves the problem for me
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6769
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:17 pm

With oncoming side by sides. If you have time and there's no following riders, shift to the granny, stop the bike then hold it with it standing vertically on the rear wheel. Think about it...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26707
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Bunged Knee, Phil4286



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter
“Bicycles BNA on Strava

> FREE BNA Stickers