Groovy Clothes for Summer For My GF

ValleyForge

Groovy Clothes for Summer For My GF

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:55 pm

I am delighted to say my girlfriend loves her new bike: a Cooper Oporto. City-style step-through, Brooks saddle, panniers and grips...

She has, however, given me a challenge. She would like to get some groovy clothes so she can ride it to have lunch with friends, library trips, museums.... Now I can help with lycra, but she wants something so she can ride (less than 10k) and not need to get changed. The other part of the challenge is it's summer and it's Brisbane!

Any suggestions outside of the normal lycra combos?
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Kenzo

Re: Groovy Clothes for Summer For My GF

Postby Kenzo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:24 pm

Got cash? Go Rapha....

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:18 pm

Personally, for a 10km ride I would just wear normal clothes.

But for some ideas of what cyclists in the US wear have a look here http://www.terrybicycles.com/Apparel/skorts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but other pages as well. There is a fair bit of clothing over there for women who want to be comfy on the bike but still look normal when off the bike.

gururug

Postby gururug » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:51 am

The mtb shorts from endura / oakley et. al. are pretty nice. Breathable, stretchable and most come with removable knicks ( holey ones for undershort use only ).

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:59 am

If she needs anything special at all, have a look for a Sugoi skort or Greta capri or their liners under anything.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:22 pm

Eleri wrote:Personally, for a 10km ride I would just wear normal clothes.

But for some ideas of what cyclists in the US wear have a look here http://www.terrybicycles.com/Apparel/skorts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but other pages as well. There is a fair bit of clothing over there for women who want to be comfy on the bike but still look normal when off the bike.
Thanks - this is the sort of thing I was chasing. For a 10k ride in summer here any time after 9am, "normal" clothes get saturated.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:58 pm

Ever since I started commuting to work in January this year I have been on the look-out for colourful riding outfits.

I've pretty much found all my funky cycling gear at Team Estrogen or SkirtSports. Team Estrogen is a USA site that ship to Australia (for a price- free shipping does come around every now and again) that does all the tri sports. SkirtSports has an Australian distributor and free shipping (although sometimes you can get it cheaper on TE depending on their offers). They have a cycling skort range called the Cruiser Bike Girl.

The SkirtSports skorts are pretty distinctive and bright. I haven't seen anyone else wearing them around Melbourne yet apart from someone wearing the (boring) black running skort. :)

TE used to have some lovely bright sporting dresses that could easily fit knicks underneath and are streetwear-looking enough.

Not sure if that is exactly what you are looking for for your girlfriend as it is lycra-esque.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:37 pm

Summernight wrote:Ever since I started commuting to work in January this year I have been on the look-out for colourful riding outfits.

I've pretty much found all my funky cycling gear at Team Estrogen or SkirtSports. Team Estrogen is a USA site that ship to Australia (for a price- free shipping does come around every now and again) that does all the tri sports. SkirtSports has an Australian distributor and free shipping (although sometimes you can get it cheaper on TE depending on their offers). They have a cycling skort range called the Cruiser Bike Girl.

The SkirtSports skorts are pretty distinctive and bright. I haven't seen anyone else wearing them around Melbourne yet apart from someone wearing the (boring) black running skort. :)

TE used to have some lovely bright sporting dresses that could easily fit knicks underneath and are streetwear-looking enough.

Not sure if that is exactly what you are looking for for your girlfriend as it is lycra-esque.
Great too - I'm sure there must be people interested in this!

kenji44

Postby kenji44 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:48 pm

I got a Team Estrogen Cycling dress - Bippie dress . It is wicked :)

Haven't seen any others in Perth.

I ordered the wrong size the first time but they swapped them with no hassle & gave discounted shipping the second time (also had to pay to send it back of course). They'll swap incorrect sizes (reorder & they issue credit on receipt of returned goods) as long as they are in unworn condition.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:23 am

Cyclette (aus) make womens specific cycling fashion, most does look like ridind gear, more so fashion wear, but is highly practical on the bike.

http://www.cyclette.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cycling is in my BNA

kait

Postby kait » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:16 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Cyclette (aus) make womens specific cycling fashion, most does look like ridind gear, more so fashion wear, but is highly practical on the bike.

http://www.cyclette.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ok, that stuff is awesome. Half of that stuff I'd wear even when I was riding!

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:13 pm

I just thought I'd post what my girlfriend found - and they ship to AU!

http://ivajean.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;