2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

adrian_d

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby adrian_d » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:07 pm

hi wrote:Just did a 80k ride with my Dad and his friend this morning, Seriously wondering how i'm going to do the 210 :(.

All i had was 1 fruit bar so i think i should eat a bit more on the rides.

I think it took us almost three hours as there were hills involved.
Fair effort indeed mate, Even if it did take you 3 hours that was still an average of 26.66km an hour

My averages are still around 22.2km an hour so your doing very well.

Remember to bring ample water and snacks to keep your energy levels up. Banana's will definitely help with the lactic acid buildup and will aid in recovery.
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

evan

Postby evan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:54 pm

Hello there.

I have a question for all of you experienced ATB-ers

I've registered for the 210km M-Q-M no ferry option.

At the risk of sounding like a 'semi-freeloader' - I'm thinking of including the extra 40km Portarlington loop i.e. 250km distance without the ferry

My question is: Are there marshalls checking that ONLY people who have registered for the 250km are allowed to cycle the extra 40km. Or could you just turn off at Geelong and cycle over to Portarlington / Queenscliff

I would be looking to start within my usual 210km allocated group so don't plan to 'hold the faster cyclist's up'

Has anyone else done this??

Many thanks in advance.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:36 pm

My mate last year missed the sign to Portarlington and headed down the 210km route then realised his mistake and turned around and found the turn off for the 250km route which takes you to Portarlington, Indented Head and St Leonard's (nice stretch)...,,

I cracked off another 80km today.....an easy ride in 3 hours with average HR of 137bpm and several snacks en route (Stinger honey waffle, endurance gel, RV Protein bar and Powershot cola drops.....) and just over 2 litres of water......another nice upto 30 kph S to SE'ly.......

Rest day tomorrow, phew.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:30 pm

DoogleDave wrote:Thanks YVP.

I thought I was doing OK training for the ATB ride but training for a half marathon at the same time is something else again.
I wish I could run but I was only ever good at the short distance races (100-200m). Any distance that was measured in km's my body refused to play and I slowed to a crawl (or slower).

Hopefully you find time to get out on the bike again this week and good luck with your training (both bike and running).

Dave
Its been a challenge Dave but I find both running and cycling compliment each other. Riding has improved my leg muscles and I have better form and I have found I am now running at speeds I couldnt 12 months ago. I also find the hard cardio workout running gives me helps my climbing as I am used to intense high heart rates for a sustained period. The downside is its hard to train for a particular time as you dont focus

I plan to take the mountain bike out and do some laps around lilydale lake tomorrow morning and thursday morning, a quick 20km 1 hour spin and I will do the usual 62km on Saturday. I ran 11km this morning and will repeat that wednesday & friday. Not sure how I will play next week, need it to be light but I cant neglect the cycling
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

rusteh

Postby rusteh » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:14 pm

Getting a bit nervous now. I've been training for the Melbourne marathon, which is the weekend prior to ATB and haven't put the training miles in on the bike. I'm doing the 210km and my longest ride has been 103km up to this point, with training rides between 70-80km pretty sporadically over the last few months, hoping my marathon fitness will carry me!

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:25 pm

Signed up on Sun for the 100km Melb - Frank - Melb ride. Should be good! No good that I have a flu ATM as I have done bugger km's the last 2 weeks. ;(

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:18 pm

Tommorow i'll be heading out for a 100k ride, Hope to get a couple for in between my 80k+ rides.

One this is i get very uncomfortable on my seat after 15k into the ride.

I've tried 3 pairs of bib shorts and 3 different saddles :(.

blatant

Postby blatant » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:52 pm

feeling mighty unprepared for this with my longest ride being in the realm of 60km and quickly running out of time given next weekend is marathon weekend.

VRE

Postby VRE » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:23 am

rusteh wrote:Getting a bit nervous now. I've been training for the Melbourne marathon, which is the weekend prior to ATB and haven't put the training miles in on the bike. I'm doing the 210km and my longest ride has been 103km up to this point, with training rides between 70-80km pretty sporadically over the last few months, hoping my marathon fitness will carry me!
Don't worry too much about it. Back when my longest ride was about 100km, I then went and did a 180km ride (St Kilda to Sorrento return, actually), and handled it OK. Just make sure you eat and drink enough on the day to keep your energy levels up, and you should be fine :) .

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:44 am

evan wrote: My question is: Are there marshalls checking that ONLY people who have registered for the 250km are allowed to cycle the extra 40km. Or could you just turn off at Geelong and cycle over to Portarlington / Queenscliff
No-one will care. If the weather isn't good most people are wearing jackets that cover their number and jersey anyway. The whole event is done on open roads no-one can stop you for riding any part of the course.

My brother as a poor Uni student use to just ride the course for fun for many years. My father would run him from Q-S in our 18ft fishing boat, though most years they would get as far as a pub in Frankston and then be on a train back to the city well after dark.

- David.

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:02 pm

Hi everyone...

someone told me that we will get a medal for 'completing' ABD... is that true? will a 100km M-F-M be eligible for one too, or only the 250km one will get a medal? And is the medal will be given based on a specific of 'finish time' only? i.e. if it takes me 5-6 hours to finish, will I still get one? :-)

second question... now that the day is closing by... any one can share some tips on how to prepare our bike to be in top form on the day? do you guys normally take it for a service in a LBS? Just to make sure all cables are tight and OK, shifting gears, etc?

many thanks and apologise for my n00b questions.
"Ride like the wind, Bullseye!"

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:21 pm

kimmie wrote:Hi everyone...

someone told me that we will get a medal for 'completing' ABD... is that true? will a 100km M-F-M be eligible for one too, or only the 250km one will get a medal? And is the medal will be given based on a specific of 'finish time' only? i.e. if it takes me 5-6 hours to finish, will I still get one? :-)

second question... now that the day is closing by... any one can share some tips on how to prepare our bike to be in top form on the day? do you guys normally take it for a service in a LBS? Just to make sure all cables are tight and OK, shifting gears, etc?

many thanks and apologise for my n00b questions.
Hey Mate,
According to their web site (couldn't find the exact mention) I remember seeing that there is a commerative medal awarded to all riders for participating. Your doing a big thing for joining in, I would be very proud of your acheivements no matter what. Its not how long the string is thats important, but that it is string in the first place :)

I'm also taking part in the 100km M-F-M, it will be great to be riding with you on the day.

I can recommend going over the bike thoroughly, or getting someone to check it over for you. Making sure that the brake cables/shifter cables and all bolts (including wheels) are all nice and tight.

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:31 pm

I have a 250km entry that has come available with a XL jersey.

PM me if you, or you know anyone that is interested. Otherwise I will stick it in the Marketplace next week.

- David.

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:25 pm

I knocked off 122km today in 4hr12mins.. Still not loving Oliver's hill... Feels like its 10% grad.. Hit 74.40km/hr going down it tho :)

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:32 pm

Kimmie,
I believe all riders get the medal, as you cross the finish line...so as long as you finish you'll get one.

I'd highly recommend getting a service on your bike prior to the event, just so you can be as prepared as possible.

I had mine serviced yesterday and ended up replacing my cassette and chain.
I'd really stretched my chain and the cassette was also quite worn so I decided to change them both - and ended up scoring an Ultegra 11-25 cassette for the same price as a 105, as they had no more 105's left in stock.

I wanted to get my bike serviced a couple of weeks out from the event so I could ride it a while post-service to make sure I was happy with everything...and if not I'd have enough time to take it back in for further attention.

Keep up the km's and good luck for the big day!

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

Matt_Matt

Postby Matt_Matt » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:59 am

DavidL wrote:I have a 250km entry that has come available with a XL jersey.

PM me if you, or you know anyone that is interested. Otherwise I will stick it in the Marketplace next week.

- David.
David,

If you don't have any takers have a look over here, you should be able to move it on quickly.

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/forum ... m.php?f=37" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

evan

Postby evan » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:52 pm

Great, thanks Riggsbie and David for your responses.

Good job at the stopping at the pub after the cycle - the beers must have gone down a treat.

Might as well give the 250km no ferry a go. Was so seasick last year after the S-Q ferry, not sure I can stomach another 40min on the water then another 100km+ cycle!

Best wishes

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm

Did a big training ride today.... Lots of wind on the Bellarine Peninsula, 25-35 kph but still a good 29kph average for 6 hours of riding......the Velomobile was drawing some attention too !

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/230743510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Feeling a bit tired now but a big roast dinner and a couple glasses of red are helping !

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:49 am

Riggsbie wrote:Did a big training ride today.... Lots of wind on the Bellarine Peninsula, 25-35 kph but still a good 29kph average for 6 hours of riding......the Velomobile was drawing some attention too !

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/230743510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Feeling a bit tired now but a big roast dinner and a couple glasses of red are helping !

That is absolutely insane, i've seen one or two on youtube and absolutely love the look of them. Mind if I ask roughly what they go for? Must resist.. haha That is if I could find one. You can know that you can ride without getting rained on for most of the part.

blatant

Postby blatant » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:54 am

we have about 6 of those HPV things at work. I've never ridden one but I hear they can be tricky to steer.

I hit my first century yesterday, finally have my nutrition in check and could have gone further if I had more daylight, more water and food, and if I wasn't tapering for a marathon next week. I went down the Nepean hwy and due to road closures there was a detour up mt Martha which I handled surprisingly well.
I averaged 25km/h for 4 hours. I was hoping I could be faster but I'll work on that later.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:12 am

blatant wrote:we have about 6 of those HPV things at work. I've never ridden one but I hear they can be tricky to steer.

I hit my first century yesterday, finally have my nutrition in check and could have gone further if I had more daylight, more water and food, and if I wasn't tapering for a marathon next week. I went down the Nepean hwy and due to road closures there was a detour up mt Martha which I handled surprisingly well.
I averaged 25km/h for 4 hours. I was hoping I could be faster but I'll work on that later.
Oh very well done mate. Thats a great effort to maintain 25km/h. Its harder than it seems. The first century is an awesome feeling.

My motivation is to think, "the faster I go the sooner the pain is over" haha.

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:08 pm

DoogleDave wrote:Kimmie,
I believe all riders get the medal, as you cross the finish line...so as long as you finish you'll get one.

I'd highly recommend getting a service on your bike prior to the event, just so you can be as prepared as possible.

I had mine serviced yesterday and ended up replacing my cassette and chain.
I'd really stretched my chain and the cassette was also quite worn so I decided to change them both - and ended up scoring an Ultegra 11-25 cassette for the same price as a 105, as they had no more 105's left in stock.

I wanted to get my bike serviced a couple of weeks out from the event so I could ride it a while post-service to make sure I was happy with everything...and if not I'd have enough time to take it back in for further attention.

Keep up the km's and good luck for the big day!

Dave
Wow Dave, how many km's have you done on your chain and cassette? I thought you would get close to 7,000km to 10,000km out of them
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:13 pm

Well done Blatant - it won't be long now before you consider anything less than 100km's a short ride!

I didn't get out on Saturday and only had time for 50km's on Sunday arvo (with an ave speed of 28.5 km/h, which I was also happy with).
I also ended up doing two silly things during the ride.

1. Clip-stack at the lights.
Rolling up to the lights I unclipped my left foot in anticipation but continued to very slowly roll forward (hoping the light would change to green).
I ended up at the front line with the red light and as I went to put my left foot down I subconsciously turned my front wheel slightly to the left and over-balanced to the right and OVER I went.
I layed on the road, under my bike laughing my head off. No cars around thankfully but I'm sure there was someone around that saw me and wondered how a cyclist could crash doing 0 km/h.
A small graze on my knee (which took most of the impact) but otherwise fine.

2. Rode up 6% climb in 50/21 gear
Coming up to the climb I decided I'd push hard and give it a red hot go so rode through the lights (that were green) and then proceeded up the hill.
I was concentrating so hard on pushing up the hill I didn't even realise I was still in the big chain ring and it was only once I reached the top and was breathing hard that I looked down and noticed I was in the 50 (not the 34).
Suffice to say my quads are feeling the strain today.

Hoping to knock out one final 100+km ride next weekend before the ATB event but feeling good about it and looking forward to participating in my 1st ATB - hopefully the first of many.

Dave

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:19 pm

yarravalleyplodder wrote:Wow Dave, how many km's have you done on your chain and cassette? I thought you would get close to 7,000km to 10,000km out of them
I'd done about 3000km's.

Not sure if the chain was from a dodgy batch but it was quite stretched and because it'd been like that for a while the cassette had worn as well.
I probably could have gotten away with just changing the chain but was happy to change both so I know I shouldn't have any problems for quite some time now (and I'll get the chain checked more often).

It's probably just my imagination (or I got used to how badly my deraillers needed adjusting), but gear changes now seem very snappy on both the UP and DOWN change with the Ultegra cassette. I don't remember them being "as good" from new with the 105, but it was a while ago now so it may just be my mind trying to convince me it's the new cassette :-)

Dave

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:46 pm

Riggsbie wrote:Did a big training ride today.... Lots of wind on the Bellarine Peninsula, 25-35 kph but still a good 29kph average for 6 hours of riding......the Velomobile was drawing some attention too !

Looks alot similar to our recumbent pedal vehicle we race at Murray Bridge and Maryborough. Except we are fully enclosed in a kevlar body so flipping doesn't hurt! :P. Boy after 24 hours in a 10 man team you start to hurt! Plus getting up in the middle of the night to do a stint isn't fun.

Just a question, Can you see out of it? Interesting because in a full body recumbent you can't see behind you and barely see to the sides.