What a waste of money, got no idea what those hipsters see in it
16%
It's the best way to keep up my track skills
3%

Total votes: 38
bychosis

How much do you like riding fixed?

Postby bychosis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:50 am

So I've built up a fixie and taken it on a couple of rides, only short having a lack of time at the moment. I think I like it, but won't be ditching my geared bikes, especially the MTB (by far my favorite style of riding). I think it will have its place in my fleet for irregular use, occasional commuting etc. I love the simplicity, the silence and am getting used to spinning all the time.

What has been your experience trying fixed? Are you converted, have come from track, was a waste of time and money?
Last edited by bychosis on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

RonK

Re: How much do like riding fixed?

Postby RonK » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:59 am

I rode fixie in my youth, when it was the only option, and tried it again recently. I didn't like it then, and I don't like it now. It's a hipster fad. :)
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:05 am

Just too many hills around here for me to enjoy riding with 1 gear.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:26 am

Definitely appears to be a hipster fad, but Sheldon Browns site got me really thinking it would be worth trying, and when you can grab a set of wheels and tyres for $90 to the door and have the other parts on hand... Why not try it, someone will probably pay to much for it when I'm done!
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ldrcycles

Re: How much do you like riding fixed?

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:07 pm

Single speed, but not fixed. I absolutely love my single speed, obviously it has limitations but when the terrain suits it it feels fantastic.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:26 pm

Free for the road, fixed for the track.

I pretty much never stop pedalling anyway, so the only difference to me is that a fixie doesn't let me position my pedal where I want it to restart. And occasionally if I specifically want to coast, the stupid drivetrain won't let me. Switching from freewheeling singlespeed to fixed just cripples my bike slightly, for no benefit whatsoever.

Riding on road without brakes is a dumb idea, so that's a non-issue either way... my bike will have brakes, and if I have them, I will use them.

Freewheels were a great invention. I see no reason to deprive myself of this invention.

tim

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:32 pm

Tell yer in a week or so...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:06 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Tell yer in a week or so...
Maaate, you are not still working on that ss/fixed you've been threatening us with since forever are you?

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:11 pm

barefoot wrote: Riding on road without brakes is a hell of a challenge, but heaps of fun
FTFY.

Oh and the poll is probably not a true representation now any way as some of the above softies have voted ,and they are confessed single speeders only.
Flip ya wheel and go for a ride ya Nancys :P

PeteV

Postby PeteV » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:28 pm

I tried fixed and it wasn't for me but I do strictly ride single speed. I live in a pretty flat area with a few minor inclines and can go for a decent ride keeping a good cadence. Fixed made my knees ache too much and I'm on my feet 12hours a night at work so can't afford too much pain in them!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:34 pm

I love riding a fix gear. Been riding them for years.

One of my fondest memories is riding my uncles track bike up and down the rd out front of his house when I was 10 (God knows how I didn't knacker myself on the top tube :) ).

I use mine for commuting, solo training on flatish terrain and slower group rides. I love how you never get to rest. Every hill is an effort, every descent a sprint. I read somewhere that Sir Oppy always rode one for his pre-season LSD (Long Slow Distance) training.

Honestly I can't see why I won't continue to ride one for as long as I can ride a bike.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:04 pm

I just need a chain and I am back to riding fixed again after almost 2 years without one. I still have my other bikes though.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:40 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:
barefoot wrote: Riding on road without brakes is a hell of a challenge, but heaps of fun
FTFY.
Yeah, in the same way as Russian roulette, juggling chainsaws and swimming with sharks is fun.

Maybe I don't have enough faith in my fellow road users and their ability to act predictably.

I'll keep my brakes thanks.

tim

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:42 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:
FTFY.
Yeah, in the same way as Russian roulette, juggling chainsaws and swimming with sharks is fun.

Maybe I don't have enough faith in my fellow road users and their ability to act predictably.

I'll keep my brakes thanks.

tim

HLC

Postby HLC » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:51 pm

Been riding fixed on the road for 3 years now. 2 years brakeless pushing 80gi.

Built myself a fancy road bike with 2012 campag and haven't put 1000km on it in 9 months. I don't enjoy riding it like my track bikes.

PANZR

Postby PANZR » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:42 pm

I mostly ride fixed for work...10 hours a day, roughly 90-100km a day as a courier
At the end of a busy day it's usually my backside that hurts from the (almost) non-stop pedalling when riding fixed but, I love it
Sometimes I choose to ride my single-speed freewheeler and I love that too

I enjoy riding both types but, I get a bigger kick out of trackstanding my freewheelers at the lights because it's not as easy
I don't know if I could ever go back to riding with gears though

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:18 pm

I love riding single speed, you really feel the benefit in the drive train. I'm happy to ride SS anywhere, furthest I've been is about 80k. SS really gets you outta the saddle, best training! I have one vintage fixed bike, freaks me out. I'll only take it out on slow family rides or on a simple weekend run, something with no traffic lights, not much traffic and definitely no sharp corners that risk a pedal meeting the road :D

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:20 am

BRLVR.v2 wrote: Flip ya wheel and go for a ride ya Nancys :P
My commute includes an 80+kmh downhill, i want to be able to coast! :) .
RobertFrith wrote:I love riding single speed, you really feel the benefit in the drive train. I'm happy to ride SS anywhere, furthest I've been is about 80k. SS really gets you outta the saddle, best training!
+1, there's this feeling i get through the pedals, the first words that come to mind are 'smooth' and 'tight' but i think 'efficient' is a bit closer to the mark. It just feels right, none of my geared bikes feel as good to pedal. And i don't know if it's that 'efficiency', the fact i'm forced to work hard on the hills, or the top end limit stopping me from going too hard and blowing up, but i've recently taken chunks off my previous best (geared) times for my commute and a local climb using my SS.

When i first rode a SS it was a real love/hate thing, but i'm finding the fitter i get the more the balance is swinging to love.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:32 am

RobertFrith wrote:I have one vintage fixed bike, freaks me out. SNIP ...and definitely no sharp corners that risk a pedal meeting the road :D
Gotta admit this is my biggest worry with my impending experiment with FG. All tips welcome...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:54 am

Mulger bill wrote:
RobertFrith wrote:I have one vintage fixed bike, freaks me out. SNIP ...and definitely no sharp corners that risk a pedal meeting the road :D
Gotta admit this is my biggest worry with my impending experiment with FG. All tips welcome...
Get a proper frame, ie a track frame with a higher BB, and run 165/170 cranks.
Pedal strike is overstated though.Just ride it and you will adjust.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:07 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Yes, I have memories of a painfully mangled toe from my early fixed gear experiences.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:23 pm

Oxford wrote: I ran 180mm cranks on my fixie, on an MTB frame, never had pedal strike problems..
MTB has a higher BB, and if you run 700c it'd be an advantage too.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:34 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:
Get a proper frame, ie a track frame with a higher BB, and run 165/170 cranks.
Pedal strike is overstated though.Just ride it and you will adjust.
I might just end up doing that if I enjoy the experience. For the moment, I'm happy to go down the tightwad path to enlightenment :wink:
London Boy 29/12/2011

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:21 pm

Mulger bill wrote: I might just end up doing that if I enjoy the experience. For the moment, I'm happy to go down the tightwad path to enlightenment :wink:
I'm using that technique too. Test it with budget gear.

As for the pedal strike thing, scares me too, I think that before next ride I might put the pedals at bottom of stroke, and lean the bike over until they hit to see how far to take it while riding.

HLC

Postby HLC » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:15 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Toe overlap is a bigger issue if you are running a proper track frame rather than some pox conversion.