Brisbane to Gold Coast ride

darkelf921

Re: Brisbane to Gold Coast ride

Postby darkelf921 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:56 pm

It was a great ride. I got to chat to a few people I didn't know. I also probably managed to annoy a few by getting in the way, apologies if I did :-) I stopped to get a Yattla pie on the way home. A pie has never tasted so good :-D
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:29 pm

Good day in the office ...
average of 41.8kph
Time of 2h23m

The ride back home was not so pleasant with headwinds all the way :evil:

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:25 pm

I took a bit (lot) longer than I expected as the lady i was supposed to be riding with from work was a bit slower than i expected, I was either just coasting along or stopped on the side of the road waiting. The moment we turned on to hope island road I just took off from her and gained 16 minuets on her in between there and the finish. next year i think i might just go it alone and see what i can do.

I totaled 121 km for the day, rding home included.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:21 pm

translink/queensland rail suck

first the good:

averaged 32.9km/h - 3 hours, 3 mins

stopped at the 80km stop to top up the drink bottles

the bad:
first bus to the train station - 11am
head wind riding to the train station
missing the train by 30 seconds - then the announcement that there was a problem and they don't know when the next one was going to be
i did the cheeky thing - got on the southbound train and got off at the next stop to make sure i got that train back
the amount of stops and waiting we did on the train - grrrr
i ended up getting off at rocklea (as a lot of others did) and riding home

finished with 150.5kms for the day (averaged 28.4km/h)

not bad for a flat bar :D

EDIT:
positive: tail wind
negative: go card didn't work at rocklea (went past oxley and it worked there)
Last edited by jasonc on Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:27 pm

Home again, what a day...starting with the alarm going off an hour earlier due to stupid daylight savings and an @pple device, went out to the bike this morning to put the Garmin and water bottles on to find a flat front tyre, changed than quickly jumped on the bike and got 1.5ks up the road and a friend had a flat...changed that got 5 meters down the road and Mr MM got a flat... :twisted:

Rode our butts off to try and meet our friends before the ride started...just made it by the skin of our teeth and by some shameless pushing in to the front :oops:

Am about to load up to Strava but I think I came in around 3:10-15mins for the 100.... Tried to get over the finish line by 8:30am but due to two red lights through Southport probably missed that by 5 mins.

I'm stoked with that time, beyond anything I thought that I was capable of.

EDIT: moving time was 3 hours and 2 mins, average of 31.4 k's :shock:

Despite the heat it was a great day.
Last edited by marinmomma on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lisa

K2

Postby K2 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:30 pm

Since I was on notice that my hood was to recieve an influx of bikies this morning, I thought I'd best get out and take some photos on the off chance that it becomes necessary to identify any thugs, troublemakers or brigands.

Mainly though, I've put these up because I know if I was up to a 100k ride on the hottest day in about nine months, I'd want some evidence of the feat.

Some are a tad blurry [I'm gonna blame that on tearing around like a goose between locations], and some a tad too dark, but some rough and ready editing made more than I initially thought look almost presentable.

If you spot yourself I'll be happy to forward the original photo [Not for commercial use though]. All are highly compressed for web purposes and some have been heavily cropped, but where they haven't, you may be able to get a much better view of yourself from the unresized image.

If anyone doesn't want their image available for any reason, please just let me know. If you're part of a group I can make you look blurry...I'm quite good at that, unfortunately.

Fantastic to see so many people out having a great morning.

Photo Galleries here and password is BNAonly [to protect the modest]

I'll leave them up for a while unless requested otherwise.

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:51 pm

Just got home myself. Kids had a fun morning at Southport as well.

This is my first B2GC, and I must say that I found it to be one of the best smooth road rides I have ever done!

What a gorgeous morning...

My stats:
Average speed: 28.5 kph
Time: 3 hours 45 minutes

That is much better than I thought I would do. I had set 25 kph as my "awesome day" target...

Hope everyone else had a great day too!!!!
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:55 pm

Some pictures:

Start:

40km stop:

80km stop:

Finish:
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:59 pm

what a fantastic day to be riding!!! had some great time and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Riding on the busway was very cool Such smooth Roads! other ones were fine too and the finish was great as we all lined up together.

didn't have a computer or anything like that but rode the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! out of mr.moser and i'm really tired and sore, so definitely pushed myself for the ride.

Saw some funny !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! as well on the busway when a bird was slagging off her partner/teammate for doing 40Ks at the start and going way too fast. that was hilarious.

osrg

Postby osrg » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:42 pm

Just got home from my mission..... 2012 Santos Brisbane to Gold Coast....... return... Via Redland Bay. 217.9kms at an average of 29.1km/h. Averaged 34 odd km/h for the ride down. Bloody hot on the ride home, but i'm glad and chuffed i can tick the 200km ride off my list!

http://app.strava.com/rides/24222130" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:43 pm

Did it 2h50m (those last couple sets of lights were a real pain).
jasonc wrote:missing the train by 30 seconds - then the announcement that there was a problem and they don't know when the next one was going to be
i did the cheeky thing - got on the southbound train and got off at the next stop to make sure i got that train back
the amount of stops and waiting we did on the train - grrrr
i ended up getting off at rocklea (as a lot of others did) and riding home
Oh you too? We had to have seen each other at one point lol. I stayed onboard the train all the way to Varsity Lakes for a nice cool seat in air conditioning. As soon as they said that the Citybound train would depart in 40 mins I knew it was going to be that same train all the way there and back :P You bailed at the best part though. Every time the train started creeping foward after Rocklea we all cheered! then a huge sigh when it stopped again :lol: :lol:

After having waited 1hr for the train at Helensvale a few of us riders made use of the space onboard the train at Varsity Lakes before the take a deep breathe were about to pick up those waiting at Helensvale.

Saw a few people down throughout the ride. Hope they were okay. I didn't see it happen at the time but somone creeped up behind me and slowed but the person behind him didn't and had a small stack. Funniest moment was when about 50 riders scared the crap out of 2 old people using the bike lane as they stopped in the middle when everyone wanted to turn left and had to go left and right of them as they were going so slow compared to everone else doing 30-40kph.

Last edited by Lukeyboy on Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:04 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
After having waited 1hr for the train at Helensvale a few of us riders made use of the space onboard the train at Varsity Lakes before the take a deep breathe were about to pick up those waiting at Helensvale.
i sat next the guy with no shoes on and the bag on his lap. (i was the one who asked if anyone would mind if i got out at rocklea as my bike was in the middle of them all)

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:32 pm

We were in the GC hinterland with the the godkids today. 39 damn degrees!!! Respect people. Hope Dave Guyatt survived.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:47 pm

2.47 for me. Was aiming for 30k average. Ended up with 36km/h. Didn't know I had it in me. Knew I could keep that speed, but not for that long. Stoked with my time. 125km for the day.

My group fractured almost as soon as we got on the busway. Went forward with the faster of the team. Kept up and led out through the busway but got dropped as we came off it. Ended up catching them again. From there until about the 75k mark was them dropping me, then me catching them again. (Chasing across bunches is hard work)

At 75k let them go off as I knew the pace would pick up and not sure if I'd be able to maintain the yo-yoing.

Got on with a fairly fast group coming into hope island. Must have been pushing +40average.

Got in and felt pretty good. No way I was riding back in that heat. Gentle roll down to Mermaid for a big breakfast and a lift home.

Best part is, the guys that dropped me must have had GPS problems and registered a 3.03 for the ride.

Legs feel pretty good. No soreness, a little dehydrated, but coming good.

Great ride, had a few chats with some good people and plenty of hot bikes to ogle.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:04 pm

clydesmcdale wrote:Best part is, the guys that dropped me must have had GPS problems and registered a 3.03 for the ride.
or did they have a stop at 80kms to refuel???
Great ride, had a few chats with some good people and plenty of hot bikes to ogle.
+1

even saw one of my newey - had a chat to the guy - the best things was, i was quicker than him :D

btw - awesome average

EDIT: next year:
camelbak and 2 water bottles (with hydration mix) and no stopping, maybe
don't care about the damn "rules" (re road bikes and camelbaks) - saw lots of people doing it today

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:08 pm

vaeske wrote:what a fantastic day to be riding!!! had some great time and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Riding on the busway was very cool Such smooth Roads! other ones were fine too and the finish was great as we all lined up together.

didn't have a computer or anything like that but rode the showtime out of mr.moser and i'm really tired and sore, so definitely pushed myself for the ride.

Saw some funny showtime as well on the busway when a bird was slagging off her partner/teammate for doing 40Ks at the start and going way too fast. that was hilarious.

Just checked vaeske, we did 3h12m, not bad for a bunch of old farts on crusty old retro bikes. We weren't out for a record time, we were just being our usual fun loving selves, plenty of chat, plenty of jokes, a good time was had by all.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:48 pm

Nice work Wal and all other riders.
I shaved a little bit of time off my previous best, but didn't cash in on the conditions, did too much work early.

http://app.strava.com/rides/24195108" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by DTdotcom on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:04 pm

I had the same issue as marinmomma with the android phone alarm going off an hour early.
my mates were late at the rendezvous point due to a couple of flats on the way in. grrrrr....
that put us in the slower part of the 30+ group, so we had to overtake a lot.

I was trying to keep the pace up from the start, and having to do a lot of the work on the busway, which left me cooked when half the pack took off.
So for the rest I was drafting for about 25% of the time, and trying to catch my group in the open for the rest.
Ended up with 2.50 and 35 av. But means nothing as the tailwind was huge. The front guys in my pack did 2.40 apparently but they were tucked in behind a disciplined group from Graceville. So presume my average power output would have been higher than my drafting mates.

About 2km from the finish, I was in a group of 14 odd, and a traffic light went yellow. two guys on the front went through, and those behind grabbed a handful of brakes. Two guys behind them went over the bars, and hit the road hard. They'd been doing over 40. I didn't hang around to see if they were ok. Didn't know them, and they should have been more defensive through the lights. Nastiest crash I've seen in the last 6 years.

Most of my mates caught the train back, but two of us decided to ride after a good break. Took off around 10am, and the heat and headwind were immediately taxing. Got half way and the mate's wife called with a kid's domestic emergency, so we got a taxi home from the Eagleby Road house.

Anyway, not a bad day.

Dan

Postby Dan » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:14 pm

vaeske wrote:Saw some funny showtime as well on the busway when a bird was slagging off her partner/teammate for doing 40Ks at the start and going way too fast. that was hilarious.
that was the funniest thing I saw all day. Wal's chain spaghetti was funny, but in a 'glad no one died' kind of way.
jasonc wrote:i sat next the guy with no shoes on and the bag on his lap. (i was the one who asked if anyone would mind if i got out at rocklea as my bike was in the middle of them all)

I had an inkling that was you :D

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:31 pm

diggerdantheman wrote:
vaeske wrote:Saw some funny showtime as well on the busway when a bird was slagging off her partner/teammate for doing 40Ks at the start and going way too fast. that was hilarious.
that was the funniest thing I saw all day. Wal's chain spaghetti was funny, but in a 'glad no one died' kind of way.
:D

I thought that young lady was going to rip my head off when I rode up to her & told her not to worry & ride her own pace. She was not happy Jan.

The spaghetti chain was me proving that I can be a real idiot at times, I really did think I could get it to pop back on, if I wasn't so hot under the collar at the time I would have taken a picture, I had no idea a chain could end up that tangled without breaking. But it was a funny thing in hindsight, just not at the time.

Thanks Dimma, just us silly old buggers on our old clunkers having a big dose of testosterone. Na, we always planned on making it a relaxed event.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:12 pm

diggerdantheman wrote:
jasonc wrote:i sat next the guy with no shoes on and the bag on his lap. (i was the one who asked if anyone would mind if i got out at rocklea as my bike was in the middle of them all)

I had an inkling that was you :D
the flat bar and loud mouth give it away?

Purt

Postby Purt » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:52 pm

Dimma wrote:Nice work Wal and all other riders.
I shaved a little bit of time of my previous best, but didn't cash in on the conditions, did too much work early.

http://app.strava.com/rides/24195108" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So you're Damien. Damn you do some epic kilometers. Kudos!

Dan

Postby Dan » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:02 pm

Epic is an understatement.

Ozzroo

Postby Ozzroo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:01 am

Nice day out. Wasnt all that hot until later after lunch as we stayed down coast till early afternoon.

Time for me was 3hr 04min which I was really happy with running on the single speed.

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:05 am

Wal42 wrote:
vaeske wrote:what a fantastic day to be riding!!! had some great time and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Riding on the busway was very cool Such smooth Roads! other ones were fine too and the finish was great as we all lined up together.

didn't have a computer or anything like that but rode the showtime out of mr.moser and i'm really tired and sore, so definitely pushed myself for the ride.

Saw some funny showtime as well on the busway when a bird was slagging off her partner/teammate for doing 40Ks at the start and going way too fast. that was hilarious.

Just checked vaeske, we did 3h12m, not bad for a bunch of old farts on crusty old retro bikes. We weren't out for a record time, we were just being our usual fun loving selves, plenty of chat, plenty of jokes, a good time was had by all.
Take off another 5 mins for my pit stop in the bush and the various Instagram photo ops... ;)