NSW - Minor Collision on Commute to Work 4 October 2012

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Re: NSW - Minor Collision on Commute to Work 4 October 2012

Postby Sydguy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:38 pm

Motorola Atrix that needed replacing - battery was struggling and it was off contract.

No biggie! In 10 days bike stolen, run in with car then lose phone! #firstworldproblems

Pick up new machine tomorrow, which is a cheeky upgrade, so the story has a happy ending!

Hope everyone has a happy and safe weekend - it is riding weather in Sydney all going to plan I'll be testing out the new TCR Adv 0 at Eastern Creek on Sunday morning with Warratah Vets.

Peace

JM
Sydguy

by BNA » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:48 pm

BNA

Postby lturner » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:48 pm

If you were riding across the crossing at walking pace, then it sounds like the driver was 100% in the wrong and you shouldn't be giving youself any blame at all.

On the other hand if you were riding fast and entered the crossing from a weird angle, then yes I'd say you contributed. The driver may have looked, seen it was clear then you appeared. But from your description it doesn't sound like this is the case.

Just because you were breaking a law when it happened doesn't mean you are responsible. Only if your actions contributed to the collision. If someone is hit by a car while carrying a stolen item in their pocket it doesn't mean they are responsible just because they were breaking the law at the time.
lturner

Postby baabaa » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:26 pm

Let me guess….
Great North Road crossing coming to/ from Barnstaple Rd and Henry St?
If so, this really is a stop, and then very slow roll crossing. I know I should get off and walk but rarely do and but often note how rarely drivers look to try and see anyone cross. I say shared fault but due to bad council planning. Good to see this has been logged in the Safe Cycling Study I had a bad off in Canada Bay just because the lousy traffic calming they have and this study needs to know what is good and bad.
baabaa

Postby Sydguy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:59 pm

Spot on Baabaa - I stop/roll when safe. I was clear on the near side, so rolled slowly expecting to make eye contact with the driver in the stationary car...

...but due to sun on window I could not get eyes on his face, and he took off looking over his left shoulder and clipped my front wheel.

By rolling slowly I mean I was struggling to balance, Strava via a Garmin 200 says I was doing 6.7 km/h when I entered the crossing and was slowing down steadily right up until impact.

My ribs are not feeling any better, in fact they are worse so I will be seeing a Doctor tomorrow, and may need scans. Still think lady luck was smiling on me!

Thanks for all the kind words! Got my new bike today Giant TCR Advanced 0 (2013) heavier than last TCR and Di2 is a very different feel but I'll be happily riding around the crossing in future.

Reporting the incident to council or police make get me a TIN so this is another statistic that will be uncounted.

JM
Sydguy

Postby baabaa » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:38 pm

Well bad road works and crossings are bad for one and all and not just bike riders, this one needs fixing or maybe moving or lights or…..
Shame Canada Bay Council is not noticing the ever increasing amount of cyclo traffic that they have going thru the patch which they are responsible for. Anyway get well soon, and enjoy the new bike, the soreness goes away but the awareness of having even a small slow off stays for quite a while.
baabaa

Previous

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy