New bike computer or GPS? and which one?

bychosis

New bike computer or GPS? and which one?

Postby bychosis » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:58 pm

Today I put my MTB on the rack on the car and drove to Glenrock for a ride with the kids. When I arrived my bike computer has decided it want to go on holiday without me. I rode some out the route when I got back home but it's gone.

I use my smart phone to track Strava and have tracked rides for a couple of years, but the phone stays in a pocket or backpack. I like to have a speed/distance display on the bars of the bike for longer rides and enduro events. I also have multiple bikes for different purposes. So far haven't tracked cadence and have only experimented with HRM

Question time: Which way to jump? Cheapish basic computer or dedicated GPS device (I don't know other than Garmin). If you are recommending a GPS device which is good?

Discuss...
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

hiflange

Re: New bike computer or GPS? and which one?

Postby hiflange » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:05 pm

I went from bike computers to a Garmin 800 with a bit of iPhone use now and again. The bike computers are fine for giving you a dashboard readout, but they're a bit of a pain if you ride several bikes as I do. You can use the same head unit but you'll need a sender unit and magnet on the front wheel of each bike.

You could get a handlebar cradle for the phone. I've never had one so I can't comment.

I'm not alone in being in love with my Garmin. You don't need any bike specific stuff except the cheap plastic mount with it's laccy bands. If you must know your speed through GPS unfriendly areas like tunnels and jungles you'd need to add a speed sensor and magnet to each bike. You can add sensors for cadence and heart rate as well. I haven't bothered with any of that. The display on the Garmin is easily tailored to show the info you want. The two easy to read parts of mine are set to current speed and ride distance, the minor displays are set to time of day and average speed but you can change the display very quickly to give you the most obscure (useless ??) info imaginable;

The battery life of the Garmin is better than my phone for longer rides and being able to upload GPX files for navigation for rides is great. It's useful for general navigation once you're off the phone grid too. Biiig jump in price though from the phone cradle/bike computer realm :D

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:37 pm

I have just found a MainNAV mg600 at a price that is significantly less than a Garmin. Has anyone used one of these as a comparison? Particularly interested to know how it goes in the bush, under trees etc. considering they seem to be going for around $50 on eBay I could almost by one for each bike for the same price as a Garmin.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:19 pm

bychosis wrote:I have just found a MainNAV mg600 at a price that is significantly less than a Garmin. Has anyone used one of these as a comparison? Particularly interested to know how it goes in the bush, under trees etc. considering they seem to be going for around $50 on eBay I could almost by one for each bike for the same price as a Garmin.
If it seems too good to be true, it is.
You get what you pay for.
Other random value quote.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:51 am

Look at the Bryton Rider 20 ($120 at Cell Bikes), same as the Garmin Edge 200 but includes ANT+ form connecting sensors (speed, cadence, HRM, etc)
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:16 pm

I would go with the Garmin Edge 2000. Rob at Highly Tuned Athletes sells the Bryton computers but has advised me stick with Garmin over the Bryton.

Andrew

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:45 pm

Decided the best value for money right now is a $15 aldi wireless computer. Leaves more dish for spending on actual bike parts, not just accessories.

Jamster

Postby Jamster » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:45 pm

I used strava cycling today on my iPhone. Surprisingly, it is quite good. It's free, records my track on google maps, average speed and time. I couldn't find speed however. Records each trip and all associated stats. Great app.