Mounting Abus D-lock

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Mounting Abus D-lock

Postby Red Rider » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:13 pm

I thought I'd found the perfect position for my Abus D-lock (Varedo 47 23cm), to the rear of the top tube.
But going down the bumpy overpass ramp at Claisebrook train station, it fell out of its bracket, luckily it just fell onto the path and no one was behind me.

The D-lock attachment has a top and side mount, which slides into the bracket fixed onto the frame. It managed to slide forward out of the top mount (can see where it scuffed on the path).

Anyone got experience with mounting these? If I put the bracket near the bottom of the seat tube, it gets in the way of the water bottle. The only other way I can think of is to either fix it to the seat tube using the side mount, but I think that will stick out and rub my leg. Or alternatively I could possibly mount it on a seat stay, might slightly affect ride comfort. Other than that, I could get some velcro and tie it to the seat tube. Hmmmm, any other solutions?

P.S. Why have they designed the bracket so we have to hack-saw off the excess ends of the screws just to put the lock on???
Red Rider

by BNA » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:21 pm

BNA

Re: Mounting Abus D-lock

Postby rkelsen » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:21 pm

I see your problem.

You aren't meant to hacksaw anything. The screws are supposed to be long enough to go into the holes in the plastic thing to "lock" it into place.

The plastic thing isn't part of the lock. It's part of the bracket. You're not meant to slide it on and off.
rkelsen

Postby Red Rider » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:34 pm

:oops: that makes a lot of sense!! I wondered for a while what those holes were for ha!

Luckily I have some spare screws, but I'll have to move the bracket along the top tube to be able to get the key behind it to lock the D-lock on the bracket/bike.
Red Rider

Postby rkelsen » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:38 pm

It's all good. How'd you think I learned this stuff? :lol:

The good thing about the Abus locks is that you can mount them 5 million* different ways.

* approximately
rkelsen

Return to General discussion