Hybrid or Flat Bar Road Bike

TZ2102

Hybrid or Flat Bar Road Bike

Postby TZ2102 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:00 pm

My father is looking to buy a bike to ride with me on road. He doesnt want the drop down handle bars etc. so looking for a flat bar road or hybrid - which is better?

$1200 approx

jasonc

Re: Hybrid or Flat Bar Road Bike

Postby jasonc » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:16 pm

TZ2102 wrote:My father is looking to buy a bike to ride with me on road. He doesnt want the drop down handle bars etc. so looking for a flat bar road or hybrid - which is better?

$1200 approx
better is subjective. i have owned both. hybrid - comfortable. good bike to start with. heavy as hell, normally low end mechanicals
flat bar - can be speed oriented. lighter. can be mtb or road bike mechanicals (depending on brand and model within the range).
if you dad is relatively fit, go the flat bar. if he wants it to ride around the block, spend less

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Try them out, it's the only way. A hybrid will often have suspension on the front forks and the seat will normally be lower than the handlebars. A flatbar will be lighter and the seat is often around level to the handlebars (mines higher but just) so you won't be sitting up on a flatbar the way you would on a hybrid.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:53 am

IMO if you're not going to be riding off-road then the suspension forks on the hybrid will just be dead weight and at the lower price range they're not even going to be good suspension forks (just some springs in a tube). It really depends on your father's physical condition, especially flexibility and core strength. There's no reason that a flat-bar road bike HAS to have drop from the saddle to the bars but in general they will, if you're not at all flexible this can cause neck/back/wrist problems but the bike itself will be faster and lighter (which means easier up hills).

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:33 am

I am mid 50's and I am unable to ride a bike with drop bars due to a back injury. I originally bought a road bike, a Merida Race Lite after trying to put up with the discomfort I had the drop bars removed and flat bar put on, this made a huge difference and I have the best of both worlds.
If you can't find a flat bar that suites you could always get a road bike and have the bars swapped over.

Another option is a Trek FX 7.5, I just bought this for my son.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/to ... fx/7_5_fx/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *