Hyper-Glide and SunTour

frailer5

Hyper-Glide and SunTour

Postby frailer5 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:19 pm

Am heading towards a re-mix of stuff on the Pegasus, which is a mixture anyway. Currently it has 105 shift DT levers, older Shimano 600 RD (non-slant parallelogram), and a Hyper-Glide 7 speed. I haven't yet ridden it, (didn't bother putting the crappy pedals on it when assembled after it arrived), so don't know how well it shifts currently.
Can anyone pass an opinion on how it will go once I put the SunTour Sprint DT shift levers on, as well as the SunTour Sprint 9000 RD? If it doesn't work, the 7 speed will go and I'll get something compatible.
In theory it should work OK, I think; Hyper-Glide being a 'locked in' cluster with the on-ramp/off-ramp thing built in. :| I'll be happy with friction mode, which I think is switchable on the Sprint levers, via the flip-out half-ring.

.... have only just noticed that the rear dropouts are SunTour PRO. :)

Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

ldrcycles

Re: Hyper-Glide and SunTour

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:07 pm

Could work, i've used indexed SunTour GPX with a shimano cassette (or maybe it was a freewheel, i'm not sure) and it worked fine. One of these days i'm going to pop that group on a bike again, i much prefer the feel of Accushift to SIS, it has a more solid, positive feel to it.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:10 pm

Please let me know if you wanna sell that RD.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:12 pm

rkelsen wrote:Please let me know if you wanna sell that RD.
No worries. May be a few weeks. Shall PM you when the time comes.

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:28 pm

I'm running Suntour non-indexed D/T shifters with Suntour RD on 8 speed Shimano cassette, no issues at all, if you're trying to go indexed it may not pick up either top or bottom gear but if you set it up to miss top then you'll probably be able to flick it to non-indexed & still select top.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:10 pm

Yep. Have a feeling it should work, overall. BTW, if in Bris, I'd be loopin' with you lot.
Oh, and that avatar... must be juuust LoRes enough to slip past the Mods. :lol:

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:25 pm

Continuing a bit of online research.... some serious SunTour pron here.... :lol: Can't tell how many pics are on that flickr gallery, but there's a lot. Some nice older pics of people in racing environment too.... about 20 years ago? West coast USA?

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:30 pm

frailer5 wrote: Can anyone pass an opinion on how it will go once I put the SunTour Sprint DT shift levers on, as well as the SunTour Sprint 9000 RD? If it doesn't work, the 7 speed will go and I'll get something compatible.
In theory it should work OK, I think; Hyper-Glide being a 'locked in' cluster with the on-ramp/off-ramp thing built in. :| I'll be happy with friction mode, which I think is switchable on the Sprint levers, via the flip-out half-ring.
7s Suntour and 7s Shimano cog spacings were not identical but they are close enough that you should be able to get the Suntour shifting across the Shimano cogs just fine. I have done this before.