How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

eldavo

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby eldavo » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:07 am

Perth following the northern line train outage, seemed to be loads more traffic and saw a couple stopped cyclists and one on wrong route checking map/gps and backtracking.

Saw a girl's road group at the gym carpark corner Hutton/Freeway, and from that intersection caught up to a similar paced guy/girl/girl trio riding safely together so followed them to make a quartet and kept cool for the second half into work. No breeze, overcast, only a light sprinkle early on that didn't come back for a cool down spritz =P

I had passed several people with last night's uneaten dinner on the back, including a few on the climbs, I wonder if they noticed, or if they got hungry =D

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:40 am

Cool in bne this morning. I saw 10.2 as we went out through petrie to Redcliffe. Rode with a new crew this morning. Oh dear... I had a nice time. :mrgreen:

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:40 pm

Good form continues with a new PB into the City yesterday (31.5 kph) and on the way home (29.1 kph). I've PB'd a number of my Strava segments with some big gains on the ones that go up.

This morning was a bit more sedate due to an early training ride at SOP. Warm weather and light = much bigger bunches. Not only that, the number of commuters is definitely on the increase.

Looks like there was a nasty accident on the Milson's Point end of the Bridge this morning as there was a significant amount of blood on the ground at the bottom of the stairs. Be careful out there peeps!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:37 pm

goneriding wrote:Looks like there was a nasty accident on the Milson's Point end of the Bridge this morning as there was a significant amount of blood on the ground at the bottom of the stairs. Be careful out there peeps!
the radio mentioned a bike vs car crash yesterday ~ 3pm - cribb st milton. any news?

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:01 pm

Loved having to break out the sunglasses at 6.30am - and NO layers. It's starting to feel like spring.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:27 pm

Perth:

I had intended to take the train most of the way yesterday, but with all the disruption to train services and traffic issues I wound up riding home. I have never seen both northbound and southbopund sides of the Kwinana Freeway both blocked at the same time all the way from Perth to Caning Bridge (and beyone, I know not how far).

Anyway, it was an ok rde with a bit of wind to push against but not too much.

And this morning it was the busiest I have seen for amonth - I suppose that many were wary of further disruption. Bikes on PSPs would have to be the best form of transport atm.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

sturmey archer

Postby sturmey archer » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:57 pm

Excellent Day in Melbourne .
Headwind from the North on the way to work, Almost headwind from the south west on the way home...
1.370" x 24 tpi - what sort of stupid standard is that?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:41 pm

tail wind on the way home. did my best not to over-abuse it with the ride this weekend

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:29 pm

No commute today for me, just a quickish river loop this morning before work...great morning out on the loop, lots of rabbits to chase down along the Corso :wink:

Got myself a QOM on a segment of the River Loop this morning, how is that possible????
http://app.strava.com/rides/23962419

Coot-Tha tomorrow :shock:
Last edited by marinmomma on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lisa

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:45 pm

marinmomma wrote:No commute today for me, just a quickish river loop this morning before work...great morning out on the loop, lots of rabbits to chase down along the Corso :wink:

i'll wave as i go by (down the bottom, not up coot-tha). climbing starts again in a fortnight

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:50 pm

jasonc wrote:
marinmomma wrote:No commute today for me, just a quickish river loop this morning before work...great morning out on the loop, lots of rabbits to chase down along the Corso :wink:

i'll wave as i go by (down the bottom, not up coot-tha). climbing starts again in a fortnight
I haven't done Mt C for over a month now, time to get back to it! :roll:
Lisa

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:29 am

First day of 30C+ for the season yesterday afternoon - 30.9C to be exact, when I left work for the ride home. Took it easy - still had a northerly to ride into as well.
This morning's commute had a creature feature - a roo was bounding up McKimmies Rd and crossed Plenty Rd (against the red, mind you!) at Uni Hill.
Fortunately, a wave of early morning traffic had just passed on Plenty Rd and the roo made it across safely. It then continued towards the housing estates, hopefully bound for the greenbelt further down.
Lots of glass and broken bottles along Brunswick Rd today. Rode through a couple of glass fields that I spotted too late, but no damage when I checked the tyres once I got to work.
Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:00 pm

Nice ride this morning, double-length commute due to sleepover, with bonus dolphin sighting near the Coode jetty. Good compensation for yesterday arvo, having to wait at lights next to a sheep truck, to the point of dry-retching. Beats being a passenger on it though I guess ... :|
eldavo wrote:I had passed several people with last night's uneaten dinner on the back, including a few on the climbs, I wonder if they noticed, or if they got hungry =D
Leftover pizza?! Oxymoron in my household! In other velo-food-transit news, I had to stop for a leek on the way home the other week, shocker ...

“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:33 pm

Lizzy wrote:Nice ride this morning, double-length commute due to sleepover, with bonus dolphin sighting near the Coode jetty. Good compensation for yesterday arvo, having to wait at lights next to a sheep truck, to the point of dry-retching. Beats being a passenger on it though I guess ... :|
eldavo wrote:I had passed several people with last night's uneaten dinner on the back, including a few on the climbs, I wonder if they noticed, or if they got hungry =D
Leftover pizza?! Oxymoron in my household! In other velo-food-transit news, I had to stop for a leek on the way home the other week, shocker ...

you dont mind sprouting on about it! :mrgreen:

westab

Postby westab » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:14 pm

All this talk of leftover food - makes me feel bloated (or is that the cheap take away curry I had for lunch :? :?: ) so the long way home it will be this afternoon. The weather is simply great for it and I can't wait. :D
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:52 am

Regular ride back via my brother's place on Friday afternoon. Started to get cool as a precursor to the rather miserable weekend in Melbourne.
Waking up this morning at my normal 3:30am slot was pretty harsh. Bodyclock said it was 2:30am. Stupid DST - no light in the sky anymore either at 5:30am when I hit the CBD .. :(
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:53 am

slow ride in this morning after the big effort yesterday

Marto

Postby Marto » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:46 am

Someone in front of me busted their chain this morning. Her feet started spinning around, and then her chain plopped out like a snake dropping out of a tree. It took a while for her to realise what happened, by which time she had rolled down the road a bit, then stopped to look back to see me holding her chain. Her partner had all the gear to get going, but I hung around until they were sure they had everything. Good thing it didn't happen while she was pushing hard on the pedals.

Glad it wasn't me. I changed my chain yesterday, so I was listening for any unusual sounds. it was my first time using a Wipperman Connex link, but it seemed to go together too easy.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:16 am

jasonc wrote:slow ride in this morning after the big effort yesterday
me too... I idled in. My hybrid is off line so the roadbike and heavy backpack it was. /(

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:52 am

Comedian wrote:
jasonc wrote:slow ride in this morning after the big effort yesterday
me too... I idled in. My hybrid is off line so the roadbike and heavy backpack it was. /(
my bikes are the other way around....

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:25 am

Very embarrassing ride in. Finally got my computer back on the bike... seem to be peaking at 35kmh on the flat and the average was only 27 in... was previously doing 40 and 30 avg before the accident. HMM.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:25 pm

Why is that embarrassing...? On the odd occasions I ride in, my max speed is in the fifties, and avg for the entire ride is about 26km/h. Peak speed on the flats will be early forties... It is the disjointed nature of the route, bike paths and the traffic lights which mostly affects the avg for me.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:38 pm

First time riding to work today in about 6 weeks. Was planning on getting back into it last week but got a massive cold.

I was surprised that it took the normal amount of time and I was on my 29er.

Marto

Postby Marto » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:27 pm

Xplora wrote:Very embarrassing ride in. Finally got my computer back on the bike... seem to be peaking at 35kmh on the flat and the average was only 27 in... was previously doing 40 and 30 avg before the accident. HMM.
Maybe your computer is just too heavy :D . Nah, I'm with Kenzo, slow happens, usually due to external reasons. It seems to take a while to build up fitness to increase average speed over 27kmh anyway.

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:58 pm

Had a excellent commute in today, with it turning out i've managed 2 strava PB's after scoring green lights all the way in to the city (a very rare occurrence) but just before i get to the turnaround underneath the Story Bridge, a dude on his roadie in full corporate lycra kit flies straight though the stop sign. Each to their own i think, until i pull up at the stop sign and cop an abusive tirade from the person in the smokebox behind me about cyclists being lawbreaking whatevers*. I, turn around, jaw agape at the outburst, thinking to tell the driver to perhaps tell the cyclist that commited the infraction might be a better idea as i was minding my own business and doing the right thing, but in my wisdom i decide not to as the foaming mouth and wildly rolling eyes put me off, so i just scoot out of there.

Moral of the story - please, please follow the road rules when you are out on your bike, as it might not be you that cops the brunt of someone's angst...

*not the concise words used - some things (lots actually) omitted for those of the sensitive persuasion.