How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Kenzo

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Kenzo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:02 pm

Big_Red wrote:Moral of the story - please, please follow the road rules when you are out on your bike, as it might not be you that cops the brunt of someone's angst...
:lol: Says you with this avatar:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:19 pm

Nothing quite so much fun as a battle of wits with the unarmed.. It's much easier to respond once you understand that such persons are irony impaired. I always like to unsettle them first by agreeing with them. If they take the bait, go on a rant of your own about how cyclists are nearly as bad as ... and go off on a rant of your own, preferably holding the driver responsible for every sin ever committed by smokeboxers - speeding, running red lights, drink driving, failing to give way, not being able to keep within their own lane, not knowing the road rules.

The net result is about the same, but you go off on your merry way with a smile.

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:55 pm

find_bruce wrote:Nothing quite so much fun as a battle of wits with the unarmed.. It's much easier to respond once you understand that such persons are irony impaired. I always like to unsettle them first by agreeing with them. If they take the bait, go on a rant of your own about how cyclists are nearly as bad as ... and go off on a rant of your own, preferably holding the driver responsible for every sin ever committed by smokeboxers - speeding, running red lights, drink driving, failing to give way, not being able to keep within their own lane, not knowing the road rules.

The net result is about the same, but you go off on your merry way with a smile.
When i was making my way up to the Story Bridge afterwards, i'd lost it and was laughing so hard i nearly ran over a jogger coming the other way... I didn't say anything to the car driver as they looked unhinged and it wasn't the usual car driver crankiness either. I'm not at all concerned about people looking for fisticuffs if they step out of their car as i'm sub 115kg, 6'3" and have a black belt in martial arts but not everyone has that. If someone decides to use their car as a weapon then you are stuffed.

Oh Kenzo, regarding the avatar, i got it from the MFbike site after seeing the youtube vid, i thought it too good to pass up considering the light hearted poke at cyclists it is.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:48 pm

Took the singlespeed to start a week of not using a powermeter. 20km tailwind made it easy, fast tempo pace made top 20% of my rides time wise, without that level of effort. .

Lots of riders and joggers out, almost had an inexperienced rider crash in front of me. He was riding beside another rider, making it difficult to pass. So I say "rider back" and he wobbles, almost 50cm to the right, then 1m to the left almost taking the other riders, back to the right, maybe 75cm and as he starting moving back left, I took my chance and went.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:53 pm

jasonc wrote:slow ride in this morning after the big effort yesterday
No ride for me today, gave the legs a rest and caught the bus!
My head cold is hanging around so it might be a lean week for me commuting wise...so frustrating as I'm so close to getting my 7000ks done, I'm 45 k's short :evil:
Lisa

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:26 am

Took the car yesterday because I had to cart some stuff to work. Rode today and managed to dodge the rain. Roads were very wet but my mudguards saved me again. :)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:54 am

Not feeling too flash for yesterday afternoon's ride back. Run-down feeling since the weekend, with some flu symptoms, but not full-blown flu as such. Opted for the shorter 30km ride home as a consequence.
Still not 100% this morning, but ok. Melbourne seems to be sliding back into winter, at least for this week. Even a bit of drizzle at 7C on the way into the CBD.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:11 am

marinmomma wrote:
jasonc wrote:slow ride in this morning after the big effort yesterday
No ride for me today, gave the legs a rest and caught the bus!
My head cold is hanging around so it might be a lean week for me commuting wise...so frustrating as I'm so close to getting my 7000ks done, I'm 45 k's short :evil:
it's good to ride - gets rid of all the lactic acid (have just been a lot slower). i find it good when i have a headcold too - clear all the crap out once you get the heart pumping (not that I'm sure I could ride slowly and pump the heart this week.....)

anyway, another slow ride for me today. perfect weather

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:06 am

beautiful morning for a ride in melbourne - a bit chilly but the sun is shining through.

just a warning to those using the capital city trail in richmond - there's a dangerous detour in place :evil:

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:55 am

Thought you were going to ride the stairs.

Where's your sense of adventure ? :wink:
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:57 am

ZepinAtor wrote:Thought you were going to ride the stairs.
i did ride the stairs :)

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:58 am

Had a fall this morning. Went to take off over a threshold ramp at the lights crossing. Front wheel dropped off the edge of the kerb and twisted pulling the bike down. Fell down still clipped in on my left side. Small bump and scratch on the elbow. No damage to the bike as I held it up without thinking. Naturally in front of about a dozen other cyclists and peds. Got a couple of "you right"s appreciated but all fine.

Other than that, good ride. Just happy no damage to the bike.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:27 pm

clydesmcdale wrote:Other than that, good ride. Just happy no damage to the bike.
it's funny how we care about our bikes more than the bark we lose....

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:42 pm

clydesmcdale wrote:Other than that, good ride. Just happy no damage to the bike.
jasonc wrote:it's funny how we care about our bikes more than the bark we lose....
What's that old line - skin grows back :)

My commute times still suck after being unwell last week. I know it will come back & it makes less than 10 minutes difference to the trip, but man it sucks to be slow.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:30 pm

Whatever it was that was inspiring me last week has well and truly disappeared! Legs are like disgruntled employees on a work to rule.

Add to that the effect that the combo of daylight saving and end of holidays is having on the caged ones (i.e. they've put on their angry pants) and commuting has been somewhat fraught!

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:25 pm

with a combination of atrocious weather, projects coming to completion and holidays it must be getting on to 8 weeks since I last rode my bike to work, however today I took the plunge.

Heavy head winds all the way and took about 10 minutes longer than last time I rode.

Marto

Postby Marto » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:29 pm

jules21 wrote:beautiful morning for a ride in melbourne - a bit chilly but the sun is shining through.

just a warning to those using the capital city trail in richmond - there's a dangerous detour in place :evil:

That has the makings of a good Strava segment :twisted:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:40 pm

Nice riverloop commute for me this morning. Averaged just under 35. I've been fading into and out of consciousness all day.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Only downer was I had to wait until I got home to upload to strava due to some issue at work... could have been the only thing keeping me awake. :shock:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:33 pm

Comedian wrote:Nice riverloop commute for me this morning. Averaged just under 35. I've been fading into and out of consciousness all day.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Only downer was I had to wait until I got home to upload to strava due to some issue at work... could have been the only thing keeping me awake. :shock:
that issue was affecting all of us (can explain more tomorrow - email me)

rode home via 99bikes in the valley - had to pick up some bits for the fuji :D

Now I wonder what bike I'm riding tomorrow....

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:46 am

Still somewhat under the weather for yesterday's ride back, so damage limitation ride via the shorter 30km route. Pity, because it was a really pleasant afternoon to be riding.
Cold and damp start at 6.5C around 4:30am this morning. Slow ride in, every single light along the way went against me. Unbelievable.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:15 am

excuses thread for me today....

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:35 pm

Awesome commute in today - last night i fitted a set of Pro-Lite Como wheels to the road bike along with an ultegra rear derailleur, a 105 10 speed cassette and 105 chain. OMGosh, dunno why i put off upgrading for so long! Gear changes are effortless (even with the downtube friction shifters) with almost no trimming now required and those wheels just roll on and on... Strava already shows there is a definate improvement with the uphill bits, so i can't wait to let it really rip on the flats & downhills.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:34 pm

Big_Red wrote:Awesome commute in today - last night i fitted a set of Pro-Lite Como wheels to the road bike along with an ultegra rear derailleur, a 105 10 speed cassette and 105 chain. OMGosh, dunno why i put off upgrading for so long! Gear changes are effortless (even with the downtube friction shifters) with almost no trimming now required and those wheels just roll on and on... Strava already shows there is a definate improvement with the uphill bits, so i can't wait to let it really rip on the flats & downhills.
so we've got another rider como-converted! welcome to the club.
just under 6700kms on mine

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:07 pm

River Loop before work...was sitting in the low 30's for the ride until I got to deadmans hill :roll:

Commute home took my k's for the year into the 7000 mark...I've passed my original goal for the year, and I got two QOMs on the ride home 8)
Lisa

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:30 pm

marinmomma wrote:River Loop before work...was sitting in the low 30's for the ride until I got to deadmans hill :roll:

Commute home took my k's for the year into the 7000 mark...I've passed my original goal for the year, and I got two QOMs on the ride home 8)
more damn QOMs. well done. and well done on reaching the original target too