3 Bike Carrier

elizabethw

3 Bike Carrier

Postby elizabethw » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:39 pm

Hi

I am thinking about buying a bike carrier for the rear of the car, we have an outlander, I have been looking the the Thule platform carrier... has anyone had any experience with this type of carrier. We have had an old carrier that you hang on the bikes on but its time for upgrading.

We need to put a hybrid, MTB and my road bike on for holidays... just can't go away without the bikes.

http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/thule-eu ... ba947.html

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Elizabeth

queequeg

Re: 3 Bike Carrier

Postby queequeg » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:57 pm

Yep, I have that exact carrier for our Mazda6. I love it!

We have a couple of Electra Townies, neither of which are suitable for the "hang-on" style racks. The EuroWay 947 is brilliant though. Bikes are easy to load, and I like the fact that the entire rack tilts with the bikes attached so that you can access the boot of the car at any time. This is mandatory for any long drives! Also a bonus is that the EuroWay has integrated lights and a place to mount your bike rack licence plate.

Make sure you check the load capacity of your towball. if you wan to carry 3-bikes + the rack, your tow ball must be able to handle a downward load of 64kg (19kg for the rack + 3 x 15kg for the bikes). If your tow ball is rated for less, you can't load 3 bikes on it. Our Mazda6 towball can handle 75kg, so we're fine.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

elizabethw

Postby elizabethw » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:57 pm

Great thanks for answering.

I plan to get the tow ball put on at the same place that sells the rack I will ask about that though.

I agree its great it tilts to allow access to the back.

Thank you again .

Cheers

ELizabeth

Fred Nurk

Postby Fred Nurk » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:49 pm

An alternative couple of options that you may want to consider:

http://www.gripsport.com.au/bike_main.p ... &prodID=32

The rack shown in the link above is almost an 'industrial' option for heavier bikes, but they also do some lightweight ones as well. Australian made too.

elizabethw

Postby elizabethw » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:09 pm

Thanks I have emailed them to see what they have for lighter bikes.

Cheers

Elizabeth :)

kibnedyo

Postby kibnedyo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:59 pm

Originally had a 3 bike rack that slipped over tow ball. Works fine, but it can rotate on the ball no matter how much you tighten lock nut and scratches the car.

Have now got the Rhino racks version similar to the Thule http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCateg ... 06_11.aspx
This is absolutely brilliant for a station wagon as the tilting platrom allows access to the rear when loaded. It was great on a recent trip around Tassie.

Downsides are

1/. It adds greatly to the length of the vehicle and can be a little difficult to judge reversing into tight spaces.
2/. Rhino has separate kets for towball lock and bicycle locks. A big frustration. I believe Thule is one key for all locks. However Rhino was much cheaper with discount from store for buying this and roof box/racks.
3. You need to check hand tightened knobs/tools on the road. Basically every stop a quick check is required, especially the central vertical bar and mounts. It helps to keep rattles to a minimum.
4/. Reasonably heavy and awkward for one man fitting and storage off car. Not a unit for a quick trip to the You Yangs or a solo bike. I have also a roof mount for this situation.

Upsides

1/. Handles different sized bikes easily and carries considerable weight. Tilt access to car even when loaded.
2/. sturdy mounts means rotation minimised which protects the car.
3/. Unit has lights and space for "Bike Number plate" so when loaded it is definately roadworthy for all states. FYI Comes with rectangular plugs for lights.
4/. Lockable and reasonably secure.
5/ Bike sit on wheels (strapped in) and are steadied by a clamp. Very sturdy.

elizabethw

Postby elizabethw » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:29 pm

thanks

I am going to a place that has both of them and will check them both out. I am also getting the two bar done there so I might be able to get a discount.

Really appreciate your comments.

Cheers

Elizabeth

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:43 pm

kibnedyo wrote:Originally had a 3 bike rack that slipped over tow ball. Works fine, but it can rotate on the ball no matter how much you tighten lock nut and scratches the car.
I had the exact same problem and it drove me nuts. Turned out it was not the rack that was rotating on the ball, it was the ball rotating on the tow bar!

I took it to the local tow bar shop and they looked at it for me. Basically, the spring washer on the factory fitted towball was rubbish. They sold me a new $10 tow ball with a new nut and spring washer and the problem was instantly resolved.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

damsel13

Postby damsel13 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:23 pm

Sorry to jump in an old thread, but...
kibnedyo, would this tilting bike rack be suitable for a Discovery? I'm not sure if the side opening door would clear the rack.
Thanks in advance.