The famous Tour des Trossachs was voided today

herzog

Re: The famous Tour des Trossachs was voided today

Postby herzog » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:41 am

What the hell was the car doing on the course?

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:50 am

herzog wrote:What the hell was the car doing on the course?
If it is the same as was in my day, in the UK time trials are run on 'open' roads as the opposition to closing any is immense. Only top level road racing gets temporary road closures and that only recently.
You used to have to get up at unearthly hours of the morning to compete so as to avoid traffic (one reason why I gave it up real quick).
Cheers
Richard

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:46 am

Sounds pretty crazy.

Also in a time trial it doesn't sound terribly fair. How do you compare times where some riders have to contend with traffic and some not, purely by chance?

zero

Postby zero » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:25 pm

herzog wrote:Sounds pretty crazy.

Also in a time trial it doesn't sound terribly fair. How do you compare times where some riders have to contend with traffic and some not, purely by chance?
Its part of the deal unfortunately. I'll be doing a 90km bike leg of a tri in a few weeks time, and that will involve me on a road bike, having to be passed by TT bikes that I will likely repass on hills (both ascending and descending), and then they'll repass on the next flat. Each time, the rider being passed will have to observe the drop back rule.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:12 pm

Yeah it can get weird. The wife and I were out on the tandem for a quiet day ride from Chelmsford (Essex) and as we turned up the hill up into the back of Danbury village we found to our dismay that it had been incorporated into the course for the South-Eastern Junior TT championship. No warnings, we just turned up onto the hill toward Danbury from a side lane (and its steep so you are crawling down in bottom gear on a tandem) and had to grind up half a mile to the village being jeered by massed spectators and sworn at by competitors as they had to pass us :) The few cars that passed us (like I said the road was open) just assumed we were part of it all...
The fact that two enthusiastic local (touring) cyclists had no idea that the TT was to be on that route just about sums up the lack of publicity and general clannishness that surrounded UK time trialling back then.
Cheers
Richard

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:12 pm

zero wrote:

Each time, the rider being passed will have to observe the drop back rule.
Sure but uninvolved motorists aren't going to observe that rule!