Carbon brake pads question

Arlberg

Carbon brake pads question

Postby Arlberg » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:15 am

I just ordered some Farsports full carbon wheels with a basalt braking surface.

I have some Reynolds Blue carbon brakepads as I have heard the ones supplied with the wheels are not much chop.

I know I shouldn't use normal brakepads on full carbon wheels, but can I use the carbon brakepads on my aluminium wheels to avoid having to also change the brakepads every time I swap the wheels over? Will the braking be more or less effective than normal brakepads on aluminum wheels?

jcjordan

Re: Carbon brake pads question

Postby jcjordan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:28 am

Do not ever use the same pads on both your carbon and ally wheels.

First and foremost the alloy rims will leave small tacks in the pads which kill your carbon rims. Seen it happen and it only took q short period of time.

Secondly, carbon specific pads are a bit softer and are designed to disapate heat.

The blue pads by Reynolds are not bad but wear really quick. Swissstop make a really effective pad but the screech when the warm up.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:00 am

What jcjordan said, but IMHO you should use the supplied pads for (a) warranty and (b) not all brake pads are created equal - ie. Reynolds Blue are a compound chosen to keep the braking temps down because the epoxies can soften at high temp and cause clincher rims to blow apart.

Someone on this site had their Reynolds rim blow out at the bottom of a descent after fitting SwissStop Yellows, which is why people started taking a closer look at compatability. The problem is that manufacturers want you to use their supplied pads, whether they are special or not... and the aftermarket manufacturers say things like "compatible with most carbon rims". Reynold rims most definitely need their special compound pads!
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:15 am

Twizzel is right in terms of warranty.

You should keep in mind that all carbon clinchers can overheat and blow out regardless of the pads used.

Carbon breaking surfaces do not disapate heat as well as alloy and clincher tires are held on by the outwards pressure.

Check out the write ups around the Levi Grand Fondo

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

SpinninWheels

Postby SpinninWheels » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:46 am

jcjordan wrote:Swissstop make a really effective pad but the screech when the warm up.
I found this with the Swisstop Yellow too. Bloody annoying.

Without wanting to hijack the OP's thread, what other carbon specific pads have people used with success? Is cork the only answer for quiet braking (but then sacrifice performance if it gets wet)?

(for Zipp 404 Firecrest if that matters)

RossB

Postby RossB » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:03 pm

Gday. I've got same wheels from the same supplier as you - have been using the blue pads provided and they perform just fine for me. Some, but not much, of a difference to the ultegra pads I use with my RS80 ali rim wheels. Got about 2000ks on the Farsports carbons so far and all good. Haven't ridden them in the wet so far so couldn't comment on that (but that's what the 'winter bike' is for!)

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:48 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, it seems using the same brakepads on both types of wheels is a definite no no. I knew I couldn't use normal pads on carbon wheels but did not realise I could also not use carbon specific pads on aluminium wheels.

I guess I will just have to learn how to change the brake pads over quickly everytime I swap the wheels over.

Am I likely to have to adjust anything else when swapping between the two sets of wheels, or will they be directly interchangeable? The Farsports carbon wheels with Ultegra 10speed cassette and the Reynolds Solitude wheels also with Ultegra 10speed cassette?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:08 pm

Reset the brake holders each time - unless the rim width is identical, the pads will be on a different angle.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

TonyDragons1

Postby TonyDragons1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:07 pm

I have the Reynolds blue carbon specific pads and they have proven to be ultra reliable both in the dry and wet. Where I ride there are heaps of hills and I have been impressed with the stopping power and the squeaky free sounds.

I've done 3000ks on this set and they are about 45% worn.