cyclist or bike rider

fionahills

cyclist or bike rider

Postby fionahills » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:53 pm

At Helensvale station and on the train back from B2GC - (plenty of time - trains two hours late all day) had a great discussion with some women from Toowoomba who had been riding for a while and belonged to a club - quite accomplished riders and very lovely - great way to pass the time.

We started talking about riding bikes, progressing etc. A lot of us on the late train were obviously among the slower participants, and had started very recently and we were chatting about how much fun it was - one chap had ridden a huge mtn bike - he said he was 146 kilos and had only ridden 20km before - great effort - anyway... we finally got around to how addictive this bike riding is... then we started talking about cyclists.... when are you a cyclist????? as opposed to someone who exercises on a bike????

I would love to be one by the way - but how long does it take???? Do I have to join a club? Are there any rules???
I have seen the cartoon.... I don't throw up after riding, my body fat is way above 7% and I am slow as a wet week at the moment but the thought of being a cyclist is just delightful - bike rider just does not have the same ring to it.

Was surprised at how much fun we got out of this topic on the train - maybe we were just delirious with heat and exhaustion - but would love to hear your thoughts

Fiona

damhooligan

Re: cyclist or bike rider

Postby damhooligan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:19 pm

fionahills wrote:At Helensvale station and on the train back from B2GC - (plenty of time - trains two hours late all day) had a great discussion with some women from Toowoomba who had been riding for a while and belonged to a club - quite accomplished riders and very lovely - great way to pass the time.

We started talking about riding bikes, progressing etc. A lot of us on the late train were obviously among the slower participants, and had started very recently and we were chatting about how much fun it was - one chap had ridden a huge mtn bike - he said he was 146 kilos and had only ridden 20km before - great effort - anyway... we finally got around to how addictive this bike riding is... then we started talking about cyclists.... when are you a cyclist????? as opposed to someone who exercises on a bike????

I would love to be one by the way - but how long does it take???? Do I have to join a club? Are there any rules???
I have seen the cartoon.... I don't throw up after riding, my body fat is way above 7% and I am slow as a wet week at the moment but the thought of being a cyclist is just delightful - bike rider just does not have the same ring to it.

Was surprised at how much fun we got out of this topic on the train - maybe we were just delirious with heat and exhaustion - but would love to hear your thoughts

Fiona
Cyslist or bike rider ??

Thats easy, you are both !

the term bike rider I don't use often, as it can be confused with motorbikes... :lol:
They are bike riders too... 8)

Everybody that rides a bike is a cyclist.
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:40 am

damhooligan wrote:
fionahills wrote:At Helensvale station and on the train back from B2GC - (plenty of time - trains two hours late all day) had a great discussion with some women from Toowoomba who had been riding for a while and belonged to a club - quite accomplished riders and very lovely - great way to pass the time.

Fiona
Cyslist or bike rider ??

Thats easy, you are both !

the term bike rider I don't use often, as it can be confused with motorbikes... :lol:
They are bike riders too... 8)

Everybody that rides a bike is a cyclist.
+1 cyclists indeed but you are really both.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:50 am

Dunno, Phil Liggett calls the pros riding the Tour de France 'bike riders'. I don't think there is really any difference between 'bike riders' and 'cyclists'.

There are lots of silly lycra roadie rules, I'm sure someone will link to 'the rules' in the thread. They are mainly the roadies taking the p1ss out of themselves.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

munga

Postby munga » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:16 am

good question! i propose that when you think about bicycles more than you think about your children, you automatically qualify as a cyclist 8)

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:23 am

You are what you are, who cares about labels?

People who drive cars are called motorists even though most of them clearly have no ability and no understanding of the equipment they are operating.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:09 am

Either or which, doesn't really matter, but for me bike rider is more likely to be someone who rides because they need to or have to where cyclist wants to ride. Dictionary probably doesn't make any differentiation
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:29 am

Who cares! Just get on your bike often and call it what you like.
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:23 am

Hi Munga
I like that one - that means I don't have to hang around for four flats during a B2GC ride.....who am I kidding .. nothing stops mother guilt......

walrus and daveoz - I did not mean to be a smart axxx with this thread....it was just a funny conversation on the train......all us insecure new riders trying not to offend the 'real' cyclists.
sorry. Fiona

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:50 pm

Well Fiona, if being a cyclist means being that thin skinned & uber serious, then I guess I'm just a bike rider, you can join me if you want, I cycle because I enjoy doing so, not for some need to bolster poor self esteem or lack of ego.

It seems the whole thing is getting hi-jacked by lots who think that there are 'rules' one must stick by, they forget that some people ride to commute, some for pure pleasure, some for fitness & some for sport.

I'm still at a loss at why there has to be a distinction, maybe I haven't learnt anything from the time I've spent riding.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:16 pm

Hi Fiona, one of the "features" of the interwebs is that misunderstandings sometimes arise in discussions. From what I know of Daveoz I don't think he meant to cause offence & I expect the same goes for the walrus.

Newby or not you are already as much a real cyclist as anyone else- all it takes is enjoying riding your bike.

Cheers & welcome outside

Bruce

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:48 pm

Thanks guys - i am sure they were not being offensive - I was worried that I had caused an upset by raising something silly - I have had great support from this forum and really enjoy reading everyone's advice to my myriad questions..

just a silly conversation on a train after a very hot day - guess you had to be there - sometimes these things just do not translate... :D

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:00 pm

Wal42 wrote: some people ride to commute, some for pure pleasure, some for fitness & some for sport.
And some (including myself) do all of the above. I love riding hard and competing yet one of the best moments i've had was riding a single speed repco cruiser (which cost me absolutely nothing, thanks roadside collection) to the shops at barely more than walking pace. It was just wonderfully relaxing.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:20 pm

DaveOZ wrote:People who sit in mobile loungerooms grasping a circular armrest are called motorists even though most of them clearly have no ability and no understanding of the equipment they are operating.
Edited for clarity... :wink:

The ones with some skill and pride in their ability are called drivers :mrgreen:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:23 pm

find_bruce wrote:Hi Fiona, one of the "features" of the interwebs is that misunderstandings sometimes arise in discussions. From what I know of Daveoz I don't think he meant to cause offence & I expect the same goes for the walrus.

Newby or not you are already as much a real cyclist as anyone else- all it takes is enjoying riding your bike.

Cheers & welcome outside

Bruce
This!

Bruce, can I borrow your towel? 8)

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:46 pm

Well - I think there are some distinctions. There are those people who embrace cycling as their sport, or recreation, or preferred mode of transport, and who integrate cycling into their lifestyle to some degree. These people I think of as cyclists.

Then there are those who never ride further than the corner shop, and only because walking there is just too much effort - you often see them with a helmet hanging on the bars instead of on their head. These are just people riding a bike.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:18 am

RonK wrote:Then there are those who never ride further than the corner shop, and only because walking there is just too much effort - you often see them with a helmet hanging on the bars instead of on their head. These are just people riding a bike.
:evil: :evil: I guess I'm just riding a bike then... :roll:

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:06 am

RonK wrote:you often see them with a helmet hanging on the bars instead of on their head.
People laugh, but man have you ever tried to clean white bar tape after a crash? :)

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:19 am

Everyone that rides a bike is a cyclist, but then being a cyclist is more of a state of mind, and some people are more “cyclists” than others.

You are a cyclists cyclist when you:

Check out every bike you see, and take little or no notice of who is riding it unless it sports a set of deep dish CF wheels.

Feel this desperate urge to get out the chain lube whenever you see a rusty chain, and have to exert supreme control not to have go at the cyclist riding the poor mistreated bike.

Yell at any cyclist you see going through a red light, and call them all the idiots under the sun, but then defend them against all comers because they are a cyclist.

Check out your favourite cycling websites at least twice a day, particularly to see what bikes are for sale even though your partner has promised to kill you if you bring another bike home.

Have a pet name for at least you favourite bike, if not all of them.

When you are driving your car you check out every road to see if it would make a good cycling route.

While driving, run other cars off the road if you have to, just to make sure the cyclist you are about to pass has plenty of room, and/or slow down holding up the traffic in your lane just to make sure the cyclist in front of you gets to merge safely.

Do all of the above even though you have not been able to ride your own bike due to illness or injury for the past 6 months or more..........because you are a cyclist. :mrgreen:

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:35 am

Offense? Not at all!

I just think things can be over analyzed when its often just simple. I also think that obsessive road bike riders can make the weekend casual ride feel intimidated.
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

dampier

Postby dampier » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:23 pm

For me, a cyclist is someone who reaches for their helmet instead of the car keys when they need to get the paper from the local shops.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:51 pm

There is a simple answer to this question.

You are a cyclist.

A bike rider is someone who rides less and/or slower than you.

Anybody who rides more / faster is a fanatic. :lol:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:00 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:Everyone that rides a bike is a cyclist, but then being a cyclist is more of a state of mind, and some people are more “cyclists” than others.

You are a cyclists cyclist when you:

Check out every bike you see, and take little or no notice of who is riding it unless it sports a set of deep dish CF wheels.

Feel this desperate urge to get out the chain lube whenever you see a rusty chain, and have to exert supreme control not to have go at the cyclist riding the poor mistreated bike.

Yell at any cyclist you see going through a red light, and call them all the idiots under the sun, but then defend them against all comers because they are a cyclist.

Check out your favourite cycling websites at least twice a day, particularly to see what bikes are for sale even though your partner has promised to kill you if you bring another bike home.

Have a pet name for at least you favourite bike, if not all of them.

When you are driving your car you check out every road to see if it would make a good cycling route.

While driving, run other cars off the road if you have to, just to make sure the cyclist you are about to pass has plenty of room, and/or slow down holding up the traffic in your lane just to make sure the cyclist in front of you gets to merge safely.

Do all of the above even though you have not been able to ride your own bike due to illness or injury for the past 6 months or more..........because you are a cyclist. :mrgreen:
Loves it! Goodonyer Tom :D
London Boy 29/12/2011

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:48 pm

Guess I'm a bike rider not a cyclist still.

Don't even look at bikes with anything later that D/T shifting, couldn't care less about deep dish CF wheels.

But yep, I want to smack idiots who disobey road rules (normally blatantly) normally on later model stuff in their team gear or single speed (yes I do own a single speed), won't defend them for breaking the road rules & I get lumped in the same class even though I do obey road rules.

Drive the car? Maybe once a week to get the shopping or pick up fuel for my son's race car.

Feel the desperate urge to lube someone else's chain, isn't there laws about feeling up a stranger??? But yep, do feel like giving them a swift kick for neglecting their pride & joy.

Haven't ridden in 6 months? I couldn't do it, my head would explode, my daily bike riding keeps my head clear & me in that 'good space'.

I'm happy being a bike rider. :wink:

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:33 pm

Not that I care for divisive definitions, but one that I use a bit to define "cyclist" is this.
You are a cyclist when you start looking for hills to climb.
I do this, but in truth, I prefer to think of myself as a bloke who likes to ride bikes, a lot.

There are "The Rules", and the Velominati website has a trove of wonderful essays written by The Keepers, and others, notably Frank Strack, who is a poet. If you click on the links to The Articles, a random list is generated each time under the current one from recent and archived writings, so keep looking for more gems.
The Rules are a curious mixture of sage advice and piss-take, which are all food for thought, but should not be taken too seriously. I break em by having hairy legs and a mirror and use a Camelbak on long hot rides where there will be not enough water, but observe many too, as they do make sense. They are meant to be a guide to neophytes and to be meditated on.
Rule V, of course, is never to be broken.
You have officially become your parents.