Sigma 1606 DTS troubleshooting

milkandjuice

Sigma 1606 DTS troubleshooting

Postby milkandjuice » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:32 pm

I have just finished the install on my Sigma but I can't seem to get the thing to pair with the cadence or speed sensor. Looking in the manual it says that once everything is installed then I turn the "cadence" in the settings to "yes" and flick back to the menu. I need to scroll to the cadence and speed display whereby both settings should flash.

Thats where the problem is, I can get all my sensors picking up the respective magnets and the distances are within the allowance but the computer itself just has a solid screen indicating "speed" and "cadence". But they aren't flashing, have I done something wrong or is my unit toast?

I am pulling my hairs out trying to work out whats going on with this thing. I've even removed the computer and moved it around to see if that helps but nothing. I've taken the batteries out too...nothing. And I've tried to ride my bike for the desired time but still....nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
MJ

vitualis

Postby vitualis » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:39 pm

Are you in the settings menu?

I think that holding down the bottom left hand button allows you to exit the menu.

Cheers.
Michael Tam
Photos: Michael's bicycle obsession
2009 Pegoretti Responsorium Ciavete Custom :: 1982/3 Colnago Super :: 2006 Cannondale Six13 Pro :: Late 1980s Repco Superlite

milkandjuice

Postby milkandjuice » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:43 pm

I can leave the settings menu once I've turned the cadence setting to yes. But once i do that and then scroll through to the display the instructions say should be flashing. My screen stays solid rather than flash, I guess that means its not even looking to pair with the sensors.

milkandjuice

Postby milkandjuice » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:53 pm

was told the solution, it was the mount, it was slightly twisted and didn't contact the computer properly, but now its all sorted. Time to go have some fun!

m00kie

Postby m00kie » Sun May 25, 2008 10:41 pm

I just recently bought one of these little numbers also as I have broken my arm and taken up cycling indoors.
I had the same problem too, half rectified by placing aluminium foil strategically on the mount.
But I still cannot get bloody cadence to read...thats all I really want to know too!

Does anyone here have a practical suggestion or should I contact the LBS or Sigma people? :evil:

ta 8)

m00kie

Postby m00kie » Mon May 26, 2008 12:19 am

actually now I think of it I should just return this to the store. It cost nearly $70 so why should I be needing bits of foil to make it work?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon May 26, 2008 12:45 pm

I've got one on my roadie and recently got the bike 2 kit for the MTB. I've had two problems so far, flat batteries after 16 months :roll: , and a button fell off the head unit, my fault methinks :oops: A quick email via Sigma.com asking about spares had a new head on my doorstep from the AU distributer 3 days later WOW.

Mookie, make sure your cadence sensor isn't too far from the crank magnet. Took a while to get right on the roadies hollowtechII cranks.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

m00kie

Postby m00kie » Tue May 27, 2008 2:01 pm

thanks for that.

I have now pushed the magnet down to the bottom of the crank and have the sensor sitting on the chain stay tube...they are so close its just clearing! Probably have it too close now maybe?

grrrr. OK... maybe the cadence just doesn't like me or is a bit dicky.

But then I read this some horoscope thing about Mercury in retrograde and how this will make computers, communications and various electronic equipment go AWOL for the next 3 weeks.

My horoscope is usually pretty inaccurate - 5 star days when I am having a crap day and vice versa - but I really want to take a hammer to my mobile phone, printer and this sigma in the last couple of days!

:roll:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue May 27, 2008 9:26 pm

Sorry Mookie, if that won't sort it I'm stumped.

After the result I got, a quick email via the Sigma site would be a pretty good way to go methinks.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

sandman

Postby sandman » Tue May 27, 2008 9:39 pm

Sorry have to chime in. My speed sensor lost sync and I spent a week trying all sorts of stuff to get it to work again, in the end I sent it off to the guy I bought it from and got it replaced. Ended up that the sensor was faulty. I originally replaced the battery, I could see the pulsing from the cadence light, just no sync...

Hate to say it, maybe the unit is faulty..

Pete

m00kie

Postby m00kie » Thu May 29, 2008 7:30 pm

took it back to the shop and got a replacement...fingers crossed...

m00kie

Postby m00kie » Thu May 29, 2008 7:57 pm

just cracked opened the packaging...and there was no crank magnet! :roll:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu May 29, 2008 8:37 pm

m00kie wrote:just cracked opened the packaging...and there was no crank magnet! :roll:
:shock: You been walking under ladders mate?

See if the shop can pass a spray on to the importer for you. I'm sure Sigma would like to know.

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011