Bar Tape

bollo

Bar Tape

Postby bollo » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:35 pm

Hi guys just picked up a new set of bars, would love some good tips on decant bar tape that is grippy & takes out some of the road vibes, any suggestion ?
2013 Cube Lightning HPC SL Race
2012 Merida Scultura Evo 905

mogwaiboi

Re: Bar Tape

Postby mogwaiboi » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:45 pm

Specialized Roubaix is my choice of tape for all my bikes http://www.specialized.com/ie/gb/bc/SBC ... spid=67817. Comfy, grippy and pretty easy to clean the white kind. For even more comfort the Phat Tape is on my commuter http://www.specialized.com/ie/gb/bc/SBC ... spid=64437.
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

MREJ

Bar Tape

Postby MREJ » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:51 pm

Lizard Skin is comfy and grippy. Just put a new roll on the GW's bike.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

bollo

Postby bollo » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:56 pm

mogwaiboi wrote:Specialized Roubaix is my choice of tape for all my bikes http://www.specialized.com/ie/gb/bc/SBC ... spid=67817. Comfy, grippy and pretty easy to clean the white kind. For even more comfort the Phat Tape is on my commuter http://www.specialized.com/ie/gb/bc/SBC ... spid=64437.

just checked out the phat tape i like the idea of that , i am no racer just ride for fitness & fun where did you buy it from ?

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:26 pm

MREJ wrote:Lizard Skin is comfy and grippy. Just put a new roll on the GW's bike.
couple of tried the guys I ride with tried the Lizard Skin and were not all thata happy with the end result

Its nice untill you get any sort of small cut in out cover and then it starts falling apart. I found that after getting a cut from a rub on a wall at the coffee shop the tape lasted about a week before I had to replace it.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:45 am

Find some genuine leather tape and install gel pads underneath. The stuff on my commuter is comfy as and still looks and feels good after a few years.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:01 am

I love the Fizik dual bar tape. Very comfy.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:12 am

Mulger bill wrote:Find some genuine leather tape and install gel pads underneath. The stuff on my commuter is comfy as and still looks and feels good after a few years.
Yup. Looks good for years and is comfy as. I find it tactilely stimulating.

I have Velo Orange on my bike and just put some DiPell grippies on my wife's. Both are great, but three DiPell is made in Melbourne, seems a bit more supple and is a bit more thoughtful in its design.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by WestcoastPete on Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:32 am

Ozkaban wrote:I love the Fizik dual bar tape. Very comfy.
+1

I bought this as an off the cuff purchase while buying other things from Bike24 last year as it was on special and I knew I needed some more tape in the near future. Totally sold!

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:19 am

bollo wrote:
mogwaiboi wrote:Specialized Roubaix is my choice of tape for all my bikes http://www.specialized.com/ie/gb/bc/SBC ... spid=67817. Comfy, grippy and pretty easy to clean the white kind. For even more comfort the Phat Tape is on my commuter http://www.specialized.com/ie/gb/bc/SBC ... spid=64437.

just checked out the phat tape i like the idea of that , i am no racer just ride for fitness & fun where did you buy it from ?
You can get it online from here http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... query=phat, the Phat is only available in black. Otherwise any Specialized dealer should have it.

bollo

Postby bollo » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:56 am

how grippy is leather when wet ?

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:41 am

mogwaiboi wrote: pretty easy to clean the white kind.
What is the best way to clean white bar tape? It gets very dirty around the hoods, I assume from sweat on the palms.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:13 pm

bollo wrote:how grippy is leather when wet ?
I find it to be fine; it's certainly not slippery.

The VO tape on my commuter has little holes in it and is a bit bumpy due to the doubling over, but this adds to the comfort and grip. I treat it with a leather conditioner every now and then and it's still looking beautiful after the last Darwin wet season. It's the same original colour as my wife's Grippies, but due to use the tape on my bars has darkened a bit with a beautiful patina with use. I suspect my the same will happen with my wife's grips.

I'll be putting black DiPell tape on my roadie when I get around to putting it together, but that'll have to wait for now.

bollo

Postby bollo » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:43 pm

yeah that black looks trick

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:35 pm

bollo wrote:how grippy is leather when wet ?

I got caught out for about 18kms in the muck thrown on Melbs on Monday, wet as the outside of a dolphin. Not a problem.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:58 pm

Ozkaban wrote:I love the Fizik dual bar tape. Very comfy.
+1
Just installed some on my new bars. Does make it look a bit like licorice
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:13 pm

Arlberg wrote:
What is the best way to clean white bar tape? It gets very dirty around the hoods, I assume from sweat on the palms.
I spray some Simple Green (from Bunnings) on a rag and scrub the tape in the direction that it is wrapped. I've used Windex and Nifti before as well...it gets most of the dirt off of it. Also use some soap when you are washing your bike and give it a thorough scrub that way.

ciclista

Postby ciclista » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:26 pm

bollo wrote:Hi guys just picked up a new set of bars, would love some good tips on decant bar tape that is grippy & takes out some of the road vibes, any suggestion ?
Cinelli Black Volee.
Probably need to go to a fixie shop or Cycling Xpress

deadrat

Postby deadrat » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:20 pm

Arlberg wrote:
If you have to clean your white bar tape you've picked the wrong type....or you need to buy black. There are about a thousand better uses of anyone's time than scrubbing white bar tape to get it clean.

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:30 pm

deadrat wrote:
Arlberg wrote:
If you have to clean your white bar tape you've picked the wrong type....or you need to buy black. There are about a thousand better uses of anyone's time than scrubbing white bar tape to get it clean.
Yes you're right...it's my OCD at work.

Alien27

Postby Alien27 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:28 am

Just a quick question, I'm about to replace my 105 5600 shifters with 105 5700 ones that have the shifter cables under the bar tape. I'm also replacing the bar tape as my old tape is ripped from a crash.

There is a strip of gel/glue/silicon at the moment under my existing tape. The question I have is do I need this? And if so, is it something you buy as a strip or is it something that you apply out of a tube or silicon gun?

Thanks
Tom
Tom

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:02 pm

Alien27 wrote:
There is a strip of gel/glue/silicon at the moment under my existing tape. The question I have is do I need this? And if so, is it something you buy as a strip or is it something that you apply out of a tube or silicon gun?

Thanks
Tom
This comes on the tape, your new tape should have it down the middle third of the tape with a backing tape you remove as you are fitting it.
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

Alien27

Postby Alien27 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:48 pm

yes the new tape has that but this is something different. I will take a pic tonight. Its basically looks like someone has got a tube of silicone and run a single (but fat) bead of it starting at the bottom of the bars (near the caps that hold the ends of the tape in) all the way up the drops until it gets to just before the tape ends near the stem. It doesn't wrap around the bars like the tape just along the bar. (its a 2011 Giant Defy 2)
Tom

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:55 pm

Did you buy the bike New or Second hand?

Alien27

Postby Alien27 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:13 pm

Second hand and come to think of it it had a 105 group set upgrade from Sora so perhaps it was an add on. Its a sticky silicone. For adding a bit of comfort I'm guessing...
Tom