Living with a velomobile

Riggsbie

Re: Living with a velomobile

Postby Riggsbie » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:49 pm

Also broke my best Vmax today in heavy crosswinds I managed 77.1 kph, mostly coasting......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:06 am

Bartek wrote:Mango owners - more questions

did you all get the standard gearing option?
did anyone get the extra gear wheel for the mid drive? (the one that alters the gearing by 15%)
if so have you used it?
did you all get the standard drum brakes? if not what did you get and why?

Thanks again
1 - I did but some have different cassettes. These can be changed any time.
2 - Well... quite a few people *ordered* them. :wink:
3 - Can't answer that
4 - I did and I think everyone else did too. Not aware of any disc versions in Oz.
My bike is heavier than your bike. :D

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:25 pm

Well it's ordered, now comes the hard part the long wait....................!

They have said I should have it before Christmas, so make room on your sleigh Santa!
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Bartek wrote:Well it's ordered, now comes the hard part the long wait....................!

They have said I should have it before Christmas, so make room on your sleigh Santa!
Woohoo! 8)

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:25 pm

Well done Bartek.....

So where are you located ? Hopefully a bit further south ?

Be good to get another Victorian Velonaut !!

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:28 pm

What's the best solution for Velonauts elbow ?

After 6 hours riding yesterday my left elbow and shoulder are quite bruised.......

Was gonna drop by Clarke Rubber on the way home to see if they have any thin foam and double sided tape, any other suggestions ?

Ta

Riggsbie

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm

Riggsbie wrote:What's the best solution for Velonauts elbow ?

After 6 hours riding yesterday my left elbow and shoulder are quite bruised.......

Was gonna drop by Clarke Rubber on the way home to see if they have any thin foam and double sided tape, any other suggestions ?

Ta

Riggsbie
I'm not quite sure why your elbow is sore.

The only contact points between me and the Mango that isn't the seat is where my shoulders touch the side pads... and that's only when I need to brace myself. My elbows don't touch anything.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:46 pm

So far I tend to rest my elbows on the inside of the body......

Especially on heavily cambered roads....

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:57 pm

Riggsbie wrote:So far I tend to rest my elbows on the inside of the body......

Especially on heavily cambered roads....
I see. In those situations I only let my shoulders touch the sides so that my arms are free to move from the shoulder down.

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:51 pm

Riggsbie wrote:So where are you located ? Hopefully a bit further south ?

Be good to get another Victorian Velonaut !!
About 60km south of Perth, WA.

Thanks for all the good wishes, might have to not look on here for a while so that I can try and forget about it, so that it comes quicker!!!
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Roinik

Postby Roinik » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:59 pm

It looks like you've gazumped Stuart and Aushiker for having the first one in Perth.

Being by the coast you'll certainly notice the difference when the doctor is howling in. If you have trouble with the cross winds check out the post with the weather strip as a wind tripping device.

Sinner is certainly getting their money's worth out of Australia. So far I record: Qld - 3 (all RE), Vic - 3? (2x RE and 1x plus), WA - 2 (all RE). Who know's what Pete will end up with now that the bean is in Sydney.

So who's next?
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:25 pm

What colour Bartek ?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:28 pm

I might beat him ;)
Convert my trike to a velo haha. Already have a fairing for it so easy to make it to a velo
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:42 pm

Bartek wrote:Well it's ordered, now comes the hard part the long wait....................!

Good one Bartek.
That makes two of us in the west with mangos. I sure hope you don't have to wait as long as I did. I think it was seven months. Worth the wait though.
Hope we can all have a get together. Just need Stuart and Aushiker to order theirs now

John

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:38 am

Baalz, sell your Golf and do the 'right' thing and buy a Mango (or Quest) ! ;-)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:19 am

Riggsbie wrote:Baalz, sell your Golf and do the 'right' thing and buy a Mango (or Quest) ! ;-)

No point selling my golf, sure it will pay off the loan now but I will be left without a Mango!!!!
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:12 am

Riggsbie wrote:What colour Bartek ?
Red & White, :wink:
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:14 pm

Awesome news !!!

You really should have got a White & Red one though - just to be different. :wink:

I originally got an 11-28 cassette but quickly swapped out to an 11-32 as I have a couple of 15-18% hills to negotiate each way on my daily commute. If you live in a hilly area I would recommend that. Nitramluap survives fine with a 12-25 but he lives in flattish area and has superior legs to mine when he does climb. The upside is that he has closer ratios on the flats and gentler slopes where you spend the most of your time. It all depends on your local terrain, but if you're asking about the smaller mid drive, I'd consider the 11-32 first.

Don't panic if you're undecided though. Both Riggbie and I swapped out the cassettes ourselves post delivery. They run standard shimano cassettes so $60-$80 will see you sorted.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:35 pm

So whats your background and motivation for buying one Bartek? How, where and for what will it be used?

And what made you choose the mango over other options?

I don't mean to interrogate - just interested to hear your story. There's no wrong answers of course :mrgreen:

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:18 pm

Rhubarb wrote:So whats your background and motivation for buying one Bartek? How, where and for what will it be used?

I don't mean to interrogate - just interested to hear your story. There's no wrong answers of course :mrgreen:
I am a nearly 50yr old firefighter, I got my first recumbent 4 years ago after a work injury resulted in a discectomy (L5/S1). I purchased a KMX Viper and have had great fun on/off road and also commuted to work, I started looking at Velomobile's about 18-24 months ago and was hoping to buy Australian, but as I found with the Trike you cant seem to get the same value for money, even taking into account shipping. I was looking for protection from the sun at the height of summer and the worst of the rain in winter (seems worse when you are facing upwards!) the big question was whether a velomobile could be used as a daily commute and did the aerodynamics make much difference to the average speed, I think Paul has answered that convincingly for me and I have constantly looked forward to his videos. I have also been increasingly impressed with his constantly improving camera and editing skills, I believe he should receive some commission from Sinner for the amount of business he has attracted for them. So I suppose the main answer is I will use it for all the things I use my trike for apart from off road, so I will have to keep my KMX for that :D
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:08 pm

Mr Martin should get paid a commission !

Likewise, his comments and videos and insight swayed me towards the Mango.....the Mr Martin after sales service is good too !

In fact all the SMUGers are helpful !

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:51 pm

Bartek wrote:
Rhubarb wrote:So whats your background and motivation for buying one Bartek? How, where and for what will it be used?

I am a nearly 50yr old firefighter, I got my first recumbent 4 years ago after a work injury resulted in a discectomy (L5/S1). I purchased a KMX Viper and have had great fun on/off road and also commuted to work, I started looking at Velomobile's about 18-24 months ago and was hoping to buy Australian, but as I found with the Trike you cant seem to get the same value for money, even taking into account shipping. I was looking for protection from the sun at the height of summer and the worst of the rain in winter (seems worse when you are facing upwards!) the big question was whether a velomobile could be used as a daily commute and did the aerodynamics make much difference to the average speed, I think Paul has answered that convincingly for me and I have constantly looked forward to his videos. I have also been increasingly impressed with his constantly improving camera and editing skills, I believe he should receive some commission from Sinner for the amount of business he has attracted for them. So I suppose the main answer is I will use it for all the things I use my trike for apart from off road, so I will have to keep my KMX for that :D
Thanks - nice report :-)

Welcome aboard!!!

Prepare yourself for the wait now - its very painful indeed, and there's a high chance of delivery taking longer than expected so don't get too excited too early. It nearly killed me !!!! They do deliver a wonderful product eventually though.

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:43 pm

More questions;

Did everyone buy the Radical design vela-bags and how do they 'rate' them?

on the 'Three Mangos' video, Paul's rear reflector appears orange whereas the other two appear red is this a trick of the light, choice of colour or change of stock by Sinner?

I keep re watching the videos, at least it should put your viewing numbers up!
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:37 pm

I bought the radical bags and they are really good, curved on one side so they fit the side of the Mango really well.....

They don't get in the way of the seat either ! A worthwhile investment, my cool lunch bag fits in one perfectly !

burnt

Postby burnt » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:15 pm

I've got the Radical Velo bags as well, tools in the left and everything else in the right-they are great. Heaps of storage and a great fit.
Other adornments, garage remote -left top wheelwell, Bluetooth speaker right top wheelwell, phone holder beneath speaker.

After the Brisbane to Gold Coast in 38 degree heat, the Harry Leiben approved aircon unit-water spray bottle works really well. The Flevo roof stored in a pillow case fits nicely down the RHS. After Paul and Rhubarb's experience with the hood in the heat-(they were fine, not too hot), maybe a purchase of one down the track.

Paul has been and continues to be, a great font of information and assistance- the mini velo revolution in Bris is all down to him and his generosity of time and support (and the videos)-Thanks!!

Bartek, I'm nearly 54, about to retire from a aviation related career. I know the Mango will be my passport to health and hopefully some shedding of weight-they are great fun and a real practical alternative personal transport option. You won't be disappointed!! Just be prepared for the attention :oops: